Worst scent ever

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
Drakhtul

Re: Worst scent ever

Post by Drakhtul »

JayDee wrote:Jovan Musk. I can't stand it!
Same, it's disgusting.
nie.
Martin_TO

Post by Martin_TO »

Pinaud Clubman was pretty harsh on the nose and skin if used in more than conservative quantity. I tried to repurpose it and added some mineral oil to see if I could turn it into a hair tonic to get just a bit of slick look and nice scent after a shower. The stuff emulsified the oil and it looked like Italian Salad Dressing. Probably could have used it clean those poor animals stuck in an oil slick after a tanker spill. I finally just left the lid off and left it under my sink and it was an amazing scent diffuser for my bathroom.
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Gunny, I used Clubman reserve for a bathroom deodorizer myself. Never liked Clubman either. I do use Clubman Vanilla, and their Bay Rum though.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
Julius_Rodman

Post by Julius_Rodman »

Rufus wrote:I'd say Lilac Vegetal, but with a caveat: in the bottle it smells like a combination of Jay's Fluid and a urinal cake, but once on my skin for a few minutes it doesn't smell too bad. One scent I can't stand is Brut; in the bottle and on my skin it just turns me off.

My cat's urinal cake for the LV.

Are you sure that getting accustomed means you can get on an elevator with it?
brothers

Post by brothers »

I owned a bottle of LV once for about 30 minutes. Just long enough to buy it, bring it home, apply it, scrub it off with soap, and throw it away in the dumpster.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
cpool222

Post by cpool222 »

Ouchmychin wrote:Gunny, I used Clubman reserve for a bathroom deodorizer myself. Never liked Clubman either. I do use Clubman Vanilla, and their Bay Rum though.
Their Bay Rum is actually quite good, as is their talc. Don't care for the other products though.
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

Lilac Vegetal. Yes. Gawd blimey. Used to be really rather good - a classic French barbershop lilac. Couple of the old Frogs in my lineage used it. They smelt fine.

Then they changed ALL the ingredients but still called it Lilac Vegetal. Odd. The urinal cake thing is dead right, except it's not a fresh-out-of-the-wrapper urinal cake. It's an *experienced* urinal cake. A urinal cake that had stories to tell, lessons to impart, many of them about asparagus.

Not great.

On the other hand, I don't see anyone mentioning Giorgio Beverly Hills Extreme (or possibly Intense, or Hateful, or Take That, You Bastards or whatever it was called. Giorgio Beverly Hills Karma: For the Man Who Did Something Really, Really Bad in a Previous Life, perhaps. A girl left me because of it. I only wore it the once but she said she couldn't even look at me without smelling it, thereafter. Nice girl, too. From Modesto. This would be in the 1980s I suppose.

I wonder whether it was true that Le Cirque (or somewhere of the same rank in NYC) had a neat brass sign on the door: No Pipes, No Cigars, No Giorgio.
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Bargepole wrote:Lilac Vegetal. Yes. Gawd blimey.

Then they changed ALL the ingredients but still called it Lilac Vegetal. Odd. The urinal cake thing is dead right, except it's not a fresh-out-of-the-wrapper urinal cake. It's an *experienced* urinal cake. A urinal cake that had stories to tell, lessons to impart, many of them about asparagus..
You've nailed it, especially with the "asparagus". =D> :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bryan
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I can vote Yatagan too. Encre Noir was not to my liking but that is just me. Yatagan was really bad
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Michael! Nice to see you around!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I have a bottle of Lilac Vegital from Master Well Comb, I wonder if it is as bad as the Pinaud version. Also have a couple of samples of Gorgio adts. One is Aqua de Gorgio and the other is Armani Mania I believe. Neither of them is very intense. Hamam Bouque is more I believe. I got a couple samples of Gucci and they are cedar scented and pretty good to me. My daughter likes a sample of Intense by daVince if I recall. Anyone tried any of them?
Ouchmychin (Pete)
brothers

Post by brothers »

Compared to some of the bad ones I've experienced, I think I'd actually prefer something along the lines of paint thinner or gasoline, if I had to make a choice. Thank goodness I don't have to do that.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

The *original* pain thinner was excellent but the current iteration lacks depth and body. Same with gasoline, which used to have a very long-lasting lead note but no longer. Shame.

EDIT "Paint" thinner of course, tho' "pain thinner" would be handy. Halothane™ would fit the bill, though not suitable for work.
Michael

Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

I love Yatagan though haven't tried the current one. But it's definitely not to everyone's taste. My ma, a lifelong Caron gal, took against it when I wore it to take her out to lunch. "You've trodden in something, laddie" she said amiably. Philistine. French blood. And Welsh blood. And Jewish blood. Uppitty lot, the Franco-Judaic Welsh.

Oh, and Irish too. Doomed, really. Pa added Scottish, Scouse and some kind of German I think. I'd guess Saxon, or possibly Pointer. And they tell me I can't be European any more. Bah.

Oops. Thread drift. How unlike me. Where's Gordon?
Michael

CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

It's good to see you, Michael. I'm delighted by your prose, as always.

Since Gordon remarried, he dropped out of sight. His last post was January 9, 2015.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

I'm grateful for the opportunity to smile and chuckle Michael. Only on SMF!
Gary

NickP68

Post by NickP68 »

My vote is for Jovan Musk. My wife hated it more than me. Got it as a present, used it once, threw it away :mrgreen:
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

NickP68 wrote:My vote is for Jovan Musk. My wife hated it more than me. Got it as a present, used it once, threw it away :mrgreen:
Nick, welcome to SMF!

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

Hi Nick. Welcome to SMF!
Gary

Barry

Post by Barry »

I don't care for the Master Colognes....

I tried Master Topaz... no wonder it's $36.00 a gallon.

Draggon Noir #14 as well.

I'm surprised criminals don't use this stuff to mask odors odors when necessary.