Knockoff "Taylor Pork Roll"

Share recipes and tips, or memorable restaurant experiences here.
ShadowsDad

Knockoff "Taylor Pork Roll"

Post by ShadowsDad »

I've been working on this for awhile now, months in fact. It took me awhile to get the ingredients as some had to be made from scratch; but I prefer to control the entire process when I can, from primal cut to the finished product. Unless you demand the same attention you can buy commercial products and shorten the time required from desire to finished product.

For those folks from the NY/NJ/Philadelphia area you'll know what this is. If you've moved away, you might have the addiction for this "King of sausages" or it can also be a cold cut. If you've never tasted it, read no further and spare yourself the addiction to the product. It's absolutely delicious.

There are other "pork rolls" made and available in that area. Made I suspect to cash in on the reputation Taylor Pork Roll made. None that I eve had can hold a candle to the genuine article. This is very close to the real thing and maybe better.

Is it involved? Yes. Is it anymore difficult than any other sausage? No, it just takes a bit longer, but it's actually easier to make than sausage done in a natural casing. If you have a grinder you can make this. Just take it one step at a time. Trust me on this... it's worth doing.

Find the recipe here: http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/New ... rkRoll.pdf

If that link ever breaks let me know I have the .pdf on disk. This recipe is never getting away from me. That should tell you something.

I've posted this on the BBQ forum I help moderate, so I'll post the thread here rather than reinventing the wheel. FWIW, this recipe DOES NOT use BBQ.

Note: for the souring bacilli I use LHP as per the recipe. Anyone wanting the data sheets regarding it, just contact me.

FWIW, I made my own Buckboard bacon from boston butt for the recipe (apple smoked) and initially I thought it had too much fat content, possibly a little less fat would be ideal, but I'd do the buckboard bacon again in a heartbeat. But next time I intend to use homemade Canadian bacon just to try a lower fat content pork roll.

---------------------------
It’s time to update this recipe thread.

Here are my recipe notes and ramblings.

BTW, for fans of TPR, the above recipe may not be exact, but’s it’s awfully close. We have yet to do a side by each taste test. That will be soon. Too, we haven’t broke open even one of the fabric encased sausages. All of this will occur quite soon.

Brians procedure for the knockoff TPR
(TPR=Taylor Pork Roll)

All ingredients are the same as above recipe.

Mix the LHP with 1/4 to 1 cup of tepid water at least ½ hour before using. DO NOT kill the baciili with water that is too warm. Cooler is definitely better than too warm here. LHP is expensive (relatively) and has a shelf life so you probably only have one packet the same as we do, don't kill the little bugs that make the magic happen.

After cutting the meat for the grinder, I sprinkle the previously mixed bacilli onto the meat along with the other ingredients. Spread it on the meat evenly and mix if possible. Use 1/4 of the packet of LHP as per the separate LHP documentation (anything less than 100# gets 1/4 of the packet).

Anyone wanting this LHP data just contact me via-email and I’ll send along what I have.

Since I don't have a meat mixer I put my cut meats onto 3 baking sheets to sprinkle the bacilli and spices and such onto the cubes. Then I took handsfulls of the mixture, alternately from each pan, and placed them into honkin huge Cambro containers. I tried to make sure to randomize the areas of more spice with the areas of less to even things out. If you don't have Cambro containers use huge bowls. But you have the idea.

Then I grind. That grinding further mixes the mixture. Any liquid gets mixed in, as best you can, into the sausage.

Stuff into casings, and vac pack the sausages. We used a 2" "sausage" tube on the Ankarsrum grinder for this. It'll go really fast. After making sure the casing was full and stuffed (twist the top like a tourniquet (SP?) to force the mix to fully inflate the casing) we used butcher string to tie them shut.

Allow to cure at room temp’ (nominal 72°F) for 20-24 hours. I’m still working on the fermentation time. 23 hours of cure time imparts a nice sour. The wife claims it to be too sour. But I’d rather have a bit too much than to have to search for it. Our neighbors loved it with the longer cure time. Keeping it at the suggested temperature in the above recipe would probably tend to allow it to cure faster since the bacilli would be happier. Too, be sure you use dextrose. That’s the food for the bacilli and without it, well, you need to feed the bacteria.

What I did to determine the strength of the sour taste was to keep some sausage mix in a baggie, and just fried some up periodically and put the tongue to work. You should do the same. I wouldn’t even bother testing it before 12 hours. Eating it without cooking means you’d be eating live bacteria. It probably wouldn’t kill you since it’s a lactobacillis and everybody has them in their mouths and gut anyway.

Finish as per above recipe.

I used the Sous Vide bath to maintain the temperature of the pasteurization bath the 2nd time, but the first time I used the stove top. So a SV circulator isn't required.

To make casings:
I went to the cloth outlet and talked to the salesperson. I didn’t know what I was looking for, but I brought an old TPR casing with me as a sample. They didn't have that fabric.
What I walked out with is (from the sales slip) BRND DRILL 40 unbleached.
Using my 40" wide material I found that rectangles 13 ½" x 14" to be about perfect.

For less waste I divided the 40" width into 13.5", 13.5", and approx 13.5" as a remainder. The 13.5" dimension will be the casing length. The 14" dimension will form the girth of the casing. I sewed a radius on the bottom of the casing, but sew it any way you please. Obviously it needs to be sewn in such a way to form a casing. TPR uses some sort of a stitch that our 1910 vintage sewing machine can’t make. It sort of goes round and round (from what I can see) to gather all of the excess fabric together and prevent unraveling. My casings all unraveled somewhat when I washed them (by hand). It was no big deal. To make sure the casings would hold together I double stitched them. That might be overkill, but it worked. Wash the casings to remove the sizing/starch whatever it is that’s in the fabric.

If your sewing person is capable of producing a "serge stitch" (at least that's what my sewing guru thinks it's called) have that put on the casings. That's what Taylor uses on their stitched casings. It will prevent the fraying that I've gotten every time I hand wash my casings. (I just googled it, yup, serge stitch is definitely what you want. But it's not a deal breaker if it can't be done. Our sewing machine from the Dark Ages can't make the stitch either. )

After filling the casings I vac packed them for the fermentation. They stayed in the vac bags throughout the pasteurization process, and then into the freezer.

One difference between TPR and this recipe. Since ours gets cooked in the bag there is "juice" in the bag after everything is said and done. If that bothers you, drain it out. I figure it’ll drain all on it’s own when I open the bag to slice it up, so I won’t bother with it until then. It's the same gelled juice that's seen in a can of Spam. It's natural gelatin... no big deal.

Frankly, I look forward to opening one of the sausages, the test bags taste fantastic. Oh, to halt the fermentation in the test bags refrigerate until you can cook it up. Cooking it kills the bacilli and obviously halts the fermentation once and for all.

That’s all I can think of.

I’ll update this again once we dig into the finished product, do our taste tests, etc.

------------------
Slicing the gathered fabric end off of the extended fermentation roll (23hrs at 72°F) here’s what we have after the entire process is complete. The "sausage" has been frozen for a few days then partially thawed. Bear in mind it’s precooked so it can also be a "cold cut". It's delicious that way.
The taste cold is IMO better the genuine article. I like this degree of fermentation.

------------------------------------
I far prefer the stronger sour of the 24 hour fermentation. The wife prefers the 18 hour.

That just means you need to keep a baggie of uncased meat available to judge when it’s right for you.

From now on I’ll ferment it for 24 hours since it wasn’t a deal breaker for her.

BTW, our neighbors couldn’t taste the sour in the 18 hour fermentation, but thought the 24 hour version was delicious. They’d never tasted the genuine article before (and still haven’t).

Too, in the past, with the genuine 3# "sausages" of TPR I’d slice what came in and vacpak it and freeze it. From now on I intend to freeze only entire sausages. There should be less morphing of the pork roll in freezer storage.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
JRTASTER

Re: Knockoff "Taylor Pork Roll"

Post by JRTASTER »

Brian,
Wow, just came across this thread and was amazed.
Grew up in Philadelphia and lived in NJ for nearly 40 years and, yes,
remember Taylor Pork Roll so very well. And "scrapple," too.
Can remember when Taylor had retail stores on the Atlantic City
Boardwalk.
Would you ever consider selling your version?? Haven't seen it at
Stop and Shop or Shaw's here on Cape Cod and would love to sink
my teeth into a Pork Roll and egg sandwich or a plate of it with
eggs over light!
Let me know if you are interested.
In any case, thanks for the memories!
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

John, I have no idea what it would take for me to even consider selling it across state lines (federal regs/laws). That's why I use isopropyl alcohol in my aftershaves and not ethyl alcohol. The red tape is just too much for a normal person to bear. But I posted the recipe and the notes so that anyone can do it in their home. Trust me, making sausage is NOT difficult. You can make much better than you can buy * . You may think you can't, but you really can; it's not difficult. The feds have regs for interstate transport but not for interstate ideas at this time. I can make it and sell it, but only in Maine (but no one can afford me). If you transport it to somewhere else that's up to you (and not illegal). But I really don't want to get into that business. It's my kitchen and I'm limited to only 20# at a time because my refrigerator and freezer can only handle so much at a time safely. I won't make unsafe sausage. Frankly, you can buy it less expensively out of Philly than the wife and I can make it. And it's quite expensive out of Philly. But make it yourself? If you don't factor in the time and equipment and it's made for the price of the ingredients. That's under $3/pound . But it'll go up.

To date no one I have introduced this Taylor Pork Roll knockoff to hasn't liked it (or the genuine article). The last lady from Nova Scotia who tried it loves it and that's about as foreign a palate as one can get. She's never tasted anything even remotely like it. She's even mentioned that next time she'll try a longer fermentation for a stronger sour. She gets it! Yes, everyone has made their own and taken the gamble on their dime and my say so. The next gent (I think he'll be next anyway) will be in Maryland. He remembers it from years ago as well.

If you need help I'm here (PM or e-mail me). So far the feds can't stop ideas from interstate travel. Trust me, you can make it. All you need is the equipment and the desire. Once you have the equipment you can make any sausage. Much better sausage than you can buy too (once you figure out what your palate likes).
----------------

* More years ago than I care to think about I went to our semi-local food service outfit to inquire about good meat grinders. The gent I was discussing it with asked me it I knew what "cushion" was. To which I answered "no". He preceded to tell me. Sausage can contain, by law, a certain % of ingredients. I'll no longer get those %s correct, but actual meat is near 15-20% (minimum). The rest is pure junk ; cushion is things like blood vessels, diaphragm, glands, things you'd never eat if you saw what it was. If you saw what it was before the emulsification you'd never even consider eating it. Commercial bologna for instance can be close to 50% fat. That's why I say that anyone can do better. A pork butt without trimming is maybe 20-25% fat with one lymph node, and that can be removed once you know where it is and what it looks like. That's better than most of the sausage commercially available. My buddy told me that once he ate good sausage he can't go back to the junk. He suggested we go into the sausage business, but he doesn't have an inkling as to the hurdles that need to jumped.

Back to the meat grinder that started all of this... I never bought it because of the hefty price. 20 years later I have an Ankarsrum Assisitent (well named and not a typo) and the grinder for it and it's at least the equivalent of the commercial grinder I looked at 20 years previously. It'll grind at least 300# an hour but not with one operator, one simply can't feed the grinder as fast as it can accept it without help. Same as the commercial $600 (20 years ago) grinder. Plus the Ankarsrum will do so much more. No, I have no affiliation to Ankarsum other than being a retail (and very happy) customer. I've been burned by other domestic appliances that promised so much and delivered so little. I don't want others to make that mistake if they want an appliance to do a certain job, just to find that it's not capable. The big name is just a countertop ornament IMO. BTDT. I write from experience.
Brian

Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

We're assembling the ingredients for another run of this sausage. I ordered the bacilli today and we're going to try a change to fibrous casing instead of the cloth. It won't be traditional, but so what? The boneless butt (30# this time) is already in the freezer.

Hopefully this time I'll take pix of the process.
Brian

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

leftovers are always welcome here LOLOLOL
de gustibus non est disputandum
Jane Simmons

Post by Jane Simmons »

Hey guys, I have never heard of the meat grinder that @Shadowsdad is talking about. Has anybody tried the Sunmile SM-G31 ETL Electric Meat Grinder Mincer? I saw a review online and wanted to get it but needed to see if anybody has had any success using it. Thank you and it's wonderful to meet y'all!
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Hi Jane! Welcome to the forum!

You know for $60 that you'll probably get plastic gears and such, right? Go to the Amazon listing and cursor WAY down for user comments. The one that meant the most for me is that meat juices are free to enter the motor housing. There's no way to clean that, or there shouldn't be. Too, it claims 800w of power. That's maximum power right before it stalls. It's normal power is 250w. One can't operate any motor at maximum power for long before it burns up. If you buy it I just want you to go into it with open eyes.

The grinder I mentioned goes onto an Ankarsrum Assistent. First you'd need to buy the basic unit, then the grinder attachment. The Assistent does far more than just grinds meat; or it can do far more with the attachments. The basic unit w/o attachments is a mixer.

https://pleasanthillgrain.com/ankarsrum ... chen-mixer
Brian

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

still going down to the mailbox everyday looking for my leftovers parcel :D :D :D
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Hah! First I must have some! We didn't have our winter TPR making session this past winter. We'll run short of factory made TPR very soon. I far prefer our version of it because it has far more flavor.
Brian

EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

How did I miss this thread???

I love Taylor's pork roll and have been eating it all my life!

Here in our area close to Philadelphia we have it on hand at the grocery store. I love it.

We do buy it every now and then for a breakfast treat and I do prefer it but the children have taken a fancy to the local Acme brand pork roll more and that's what we buy most of the time. When Taylor's is on sale we'll buy that but they still prefer the Acme. I don't, I prefer the Taylor's.

Anyway I'm grateful for finding this as I may just try my hand at making it.

Chris
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Chris

totally off topic, but you're close enough to maybe answer this very, very important question:

where to go for the best philly cheesesteak??? I watched an anthony bourdain / parts unknown episode based in the bronx and chopped cheese ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8P-A6O8p6w ) had a main part in the episode. Ever since then, Ive been dying for a good philly cheesesteak :D :D

clive
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Chris, I don't understand how anyone can even compare the faux pork rolls to Taylors. They just aren't even close. My mother would buy the brand x versions and I wouldn't eat it. The difference is in the curing with the bacilli.
Brian

EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

fallingwickets wrote:Chris

totally off topic, but you're close enough to maybe answer this very, very important question:

where to go for the best philly cheesesteak??? I watched an anthony bourdain / parts unknown episode based in the bronx and chopped cheese ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8P-A6O8p6w ) had a main part in the episode. Ever since then, Ive been dying for a good philly cheesesteak :D :D

clive
Clive, I grew up in Northeast Philadelphia, the Somerton section. I've tried a lot of cheesesteaks and for my money Steve's Prince of Steaks is thee best cheesesteak from Philadelphia.

I base my opinion on many a late night with the guys, seeking to satisfy our hunger created by the nights festivities. We'd go all over Philly and try cheesesteaks among other things (my favorite late night meal from those days was eggs benedict).

But you're close enough to try them yourself and form an opinion. I encourage you to do so as it's an adventure.

For Steve's, my favorite location is 7200 Bustleton Avenue in the Northeast. It's literally a row home with a side wall of the basement exposed and that basement is where the restaurant is located. A hole in the wall, if there ever was. But gosh are their steaks good.

I have many happy memories of getting these or someone bringing them home for diner. Today they are a rare treat.

As an aside and as a recommendation - instead of putting ketchup on your cheesesteak put yellow mustard on it. Ever since my late father introduced me to that I can't eat a cheesesteak any other way.

Hope that helps.

Chris
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

ShadowsDad wrote:Chris, I don't understand how anyone can even compare the faux pork rolls to Taylors. They just aren't even close. My mother would buy the brand x versions and I wouldn't eat it. The difference is in the curing with the bacilli.
Brian, yeah. But the children eat it so I persevere. I get my Taylor's when I can.

Chris
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Bustleton Avenue
Thank you so much. of the the three locations, this one is actually perfect because its the closest to my niece at drexel win-win :D

clive
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Clive, happy to help and I hope you like it.

Hey, whatever your experience, please let us know. Everyone's got a taste.

As an aside, what's nice for me these days, is that when I go visit my mother there is a location right off the Roosevelt Boulevard on Comly Rd across from the old Nabisco bakery. I can pick up some cheesesteaks and head home and enjoy them with mom and the family. Those steaks are nearly as good as the Bustleton location (yet not quite the same but I can't figure out why). Even so we like Steve's better than any where else.

I'd like to mention that growing up so close to that Nabsico bakery as a child my memories are permeated by the smell of fresh cookies as me and my chums played outside, we were that close to it. A truly unique memory and I wouldn't trade it for the world. It's a shame it's closed now.

Chris
Jane Simmons

Post by Jane Simmons »

ShadowsDad wrote:Hi Jane! Welcome to the forum!

You know for $60 that you'll probably get plastic gears and such, right? Go to the Amazon listing and cursor WAY down for user comments. The one that meant the most for me is that meat juices are free to enter the motor housing. There's no way to clean that, or there shouldn't be. Too, it claims 800w of power. That's maximum power right before it stalls. It's normal power is 250w. One can't operate any motor at maximum power for long before it burns up. If you buy it I just want you to go into it with open eyes.

The grinder I mentioned goes onto an Ankarsrum Assistent. First you'd need to buy the basic unit, then the grinder attachment. The Assistent does far more than just grinds meat; or it can do far more with the attachments. The basic unit w/o attachments is a mixer.

https://pleasanthillgrain.com/ankarsrum ... chen-mixer
thank you so much. I appreciate your time and recommendations!
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Jane , be very wary of the brand everyone in the US knows also. Years ago it was the Hobart R50 mixer and it still exists as that. https://www.hobartcorp.com/products/foo ... uart-mixer Check the price. It has metal gears and will hold up, but it's only a 5 qt mixer. The Ankarsrum is a 20 (22?) qt mixer.

But the home version has plastic gears and has been cheapened to the point that we had one for a few months at most before we had to send it back for major repairs. I sold it just to get my repair costs back and then decided it was going to be too expensive for us since it wouldn't hold up. That was when I embarked on the quest for a new mixer and found far more than I ever thought I would find. The Ankarsrum is a quality machine, but quality does NOT come inexpensively. It also has a learning curve. If you buy one and need help with that curve, let me know I can point you in the right direction. I've written much about it elsewhere and I can give you links to videos that show how to properly use it. Maybe 1 in 8 youtube videos actually use it correctly (I'm being generous).

If you only make cakes, whip cream, or whip egg whites the brand you know will work fine. But I have never regretted spending the $ to get the Ankarsrum. It works and I don't need to make excuses for it, nor do I baby it, and in these few years it has never needed a repair. I use it frequently. I also did my research and found folks whose parents have used one decades ago and the same one is still going strong today. One ground up countless reindeer to feed the family. Yeah, that kind of machine. All machines should be made that way today. But I'll stop there.

Not inexpensive, but it's quality.
Brian

brothers

Post by brothers »

Jane, welcome to SMF!

Regarding the Taylor Pork Roll, and the others, it is a sad fact that to the best of my knowledge pork rolls are completely unknown in this part of the wilderness. Too bad! It is my intent to use both Amazon and Google to see if there is any way to "import" such a tasty treat. Plan B would be to see if they are available for purchase in neighboring states.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Gary, it can be done, but it's very expensive to do. In your quest you want the genuine Taylors Pork Roll. Don't waste $ on any other generic pork roll. They're just horrible. They lack the sourish cured bite of Taylors.

I just used the Firefox search engine and got 3 hits with "Taylor pork roll for sale". Be sitting down when you see the shipping cost. But maybe by shopping around you can find a better deal than I found a year ago.

You might find it semi-locally, and I hope that you do, but I doubt it. It's a Philly and near that area local food. That's why I was so happy when I get the knock-off recipe. Not only is it much less expensive to make our own, but I can control the amount of sour and I let it cure for full effect. It's actually better than the original Taylors IMO.

Do you know anyone going back east? That's the best way to get some, if they have a cooler and will haul some for you.
Brian