Review - Palmolive Shaving Cream

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
WetTheFace

Review - Palmolive Shaving Cream

Post by WetTheFace »

Company: Colgate-Palmolive
Product: Palmolive Shaving Cream
Website - http://www.colgate.co.uk/app/PalmoliveE ... -care.cwsp

I’ve seen this happen before a new shaving soap or cream comes on the market with the price around $100.00. All the wet shaving YouTubers jump at being the first one on the block to make a video about it. What really excites me is finding something that coast $3.00 that acts and performs like it’s $100.00. Well I found one although it’s not from the US this is a UK product called Palmolive Shaving Cream. This was possible due to my friend from the UK Leslie Asare he subscribes to my youtube channel and thought I would enjoy a few soaps and creams from the UK. This happened once before with my friend Melvin Hollenberg he gave me the shaving soap called De Vergulde Hand from the Netherlands another amazing shaving soap that’s considered a staple and costs very little.

Palmolive shave cream comes in a squeezable tin like tube with a screw on top. If you have read some of my other articles you know that tubes like this are not my favorite but some people have pointed out some accessories you can purchase to make this more enjoyable for someone like me who hates the sight of bent and deformed tubes on the counter.

For me the scent of this cream is amazing they called it “Classic Care” some say a wintergreen with a hint of lemon and yes, I get that but it not a true wintergreen and I do smell the lemon on the end note. I think it’s more on the Irish spring side and the reason I say this is Palmolive makes that product as well. The list of ingredients: Aqua, Stearic Acid, Glycerin, Potassium Hydroxide, Coconut Acid, Cocos Nucifera Oil, Sodium Hydroxide, Parfum, Potassium Chloride, Sodium Silicate, Cocos Nucifera Extract, Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde, Limonene, Cl 15985, Cl 42051, Cl 45350, Cl 47005.

I bowl lather and Palmolive didn’t let me down. I placed a small amount into the bowl wet my brush and rung out it's contents into it. In only 54 seconds I had created a lather that was able to penetrate and get right into my 5-day old bread. A rich thick creamy lather which the scent seemed to increase as well. What a surprise to find out how superior the sickness and glide is for this cream in a word outstanding. Another surprise was the menthol effect. whether it has it or not it feels like it does In fact, more than any other shave cream I’ve ever tried and because of this it moves to one that I’ll reach for many times. Lastly my post shave feel was fantastic.

So, A great shave was had and it you can find it in the US give it a try but you'll probably pay more for it in the states. They also have a lemon shave cream which I would love to try. I've seen both in the US for around $7.00 - $8.00 if you're interested Try West Coast Shaving or Life and looks

Company: Colgate-Palmolive
Product: Palmolive Shaving Cream 100ml $3.00 – $4.00
Website - http://www.colgate.co.uk/app/PalmoliveE ... -care.cwsp
Attachments
forMenPalmExtract.png
forMenPalmExtract.png (111.27 KiB) Viewed 3585 times
mlb549

Re: Review - Palmolive Shaving Cream

Post by mlb549 »

A very fine review sir! You are so right about the big bucks products. I have both Palmolives and really enjoy them.
Mike
Vincev

Post by Vincev »

When I started shaving over 40 yeRs ago this was the soap I used and I loved it. 34 years ago I moved to California and could not find it. Now that I know it still exists I have to look for. It was my dad's cream and I would like to keep the tradition alive.
Brutus

Post by Brutus »

Palmolive cream is goood value and I clearly prefer it over much touted Proraso products.

In many European countries, Palmolive cream is inexpensive, available in most drugstores, and I often make it a point to pick some up when I travel there.

The packaging can be confusing though.
In Germany/Austria you find the regular cream in the dark green packaging, while in Italy the green packaging denotes the menthol version and the regular version comes in a maroon packaging.

Be it as it may; they're all good preformers, even if I generally prefer soaps.

Talking about soaps, I also recommend trying the Palmolive shaving stick that sells in Europe for about $1.20 - a terrific value that will not disappoint.

B.
Last edited by Brutus on Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell
mlb549

Post by mlb549 »

I should get some more Palmolive sticks as my wife has adopted my last one!!
Mike
brothers

Post by brothers »

Slightly off topic, but I've always thought the Palmolive soap sticks are one of the best lathering soaps.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Palmolive are by far the best budget shave products going - be it stick or classic cream, you can't beat the quality of the product. The price is just plain ridiculous -- my bags always have half a dozen sticks and a few tubes in them when we come home from our trips to the UK. So inexpensive --- this stuff is far too good to refer to it as being cheap.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?