Trumper's Violet Cream - Scent

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Bob

Trumper's Violet Cream - Scent

Post by Bob »

I apologize if this has been discussed recently, but a brief search of the forum didn't yield the results I'd hoped for.

What I'd like to know is whether Trumper ever fixed the violet cream's scent after the change that occurred several years ago. I used this cream prior to the reformulation, and loved it. I thought the change introduced a very harsh edge to the scent, that I hoped would subside after awhile (see the "Crack of Doom" thread). Unfortunately, it's now many years later, and the scent is just as harsh today as it was the day I got them.

I've heard rumors that Trumper may have sorted things out, but I'd really like to hear from those of you who used the violet cream prior to the reformulation, and have tried a recent batch. Is the current production any better than that awful stuff that came out back in 2007 or so?

Gordon, I'm looking at you.
--Bob--
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Re: Trumper's Violet Cream - Scent

Post by fallingwickets »

Too each his own....I have a cream circa 2013 that is just delightful, but i unfortunately have no comparison. Im just surprised that you label it harsh :)

clive

p.s. hopefully this thread draws gordon from his slumber!
de gustibus non est disputandum
Bob

Post by Bob »

Thanks, Clive. I didn't know that Gordon was sleeping!

I hope you and yours have a great new year.
--Bob--
Tim_McD

Post by Tim_McD »

Trumpers Violet is my absolute favorite scented cream. I have a pot from Dec-2012 that is nearly done and two tubes purchased in Apr-2014 - none have what I would describe as a harsh scent, just the rich violet that I love

I have purchased a puck of the Violet soap; its scent is definitely sharper than the cream and it is unfortunately like most of the recent Trumper soaps - a dud puck. I wont buy another puck of their soap until the boards widely acclaim a reformulation worthy of use, but I will continue to have the Violet cream in my rotation forever
Bob

Post by Bob »

Thanks for the input, Tim. It's good to hear that you're enjoying the cream. It's too bad about the soaps, though. I was thinking of that as my backup if I got too much negative feedback on the cream.

I think the scent issue may be a bigger problem for those who were used to the prior (pre-2007) violet aroma. Unfortunately, I'm in those ranks. I have an unused tub of the newer scent, and I may be offering it here on the board, because I just can't get used to the smell.
--Bob--
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Bob, I bought trumpers soap last year and its fine......it isnt rose (but nothing is!!!), however its damn close. Im probably the only person left standing that hasnt had an issue with trumpers and thats basically all i use :)

clive
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

p.s. HAPPY new year!!!!!!
Bob

Post by Bob »

Happy New Year!
--Bob--
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

And may we all prosper in health, wealth and other good stuff.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Bob,
Sleeping perhaps but still breathing ( I'm pretty sure anyway ). Unfortunately, I'm not sure that I can answer your question definitively. As you know, I used to use the Trumper's Violet cream and although it was not my favourite Trumper cream I did enjoy it and appreciated it's very old school gestalt. But following that 'Crack of Doom' period and even after Creighton's got whatever the problem was sorted out I never again ventured to try the Violet version because of what other seasoned members ( who were VERY fond of the Violet ) said. That is, until fairly recently. I did take a sniff or two at pots in shops in NYC and, yes, it was clear that the scent had been changed but that was as far as I went with it personally. So, fast forward to maybe 2012 or early 2013 and I decided to throw in a tube of Violet with some other stuff I was ordering. I went through that tube and quite enjoyed using it but I can't say if it's 'better' that what was available in 2007 because I never actually used any of it then and the time lag is too great. You might risk getting some and if you really don't care for it I promise to buy it from you for what you paid. Regarding their soaps, I've personally not had any problems with any of them that I've had over the years. Granted, the tallow based ones seemed a little better but the current ones are still just fine IMO. At present I have four hard soaps; Trumpers Rose, Trumpers Almond, D R Harris's Lavender and the new Taylor's Lime and all of them are top self I think. Hope this helps.
Regards,
Gordon
Bob

Post by Bob »

Gordon, that helps a great deal, actually. You had the right idea: I should dip my toe in the water by buying a tube, instead of a pot. Enough time has passed that I certainly won't be getting a tube of the 2007 stuff (the two pots I have are the result of a failed attempt to buy some pre-2007 stuff as soon as I heard about the reformulation). If I don't care for it, I'll send the tube your way, gratis, of course.

Anyway, it was good to hear from you. I hope you have a very prosperous new year, and thank you for your input.
--Bob--
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Bob,
You're very welcome and it's nice hearing from you again. You have a good year as well.
Regards,
Gordon
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

and thank you for your input.
ditto on the sentiment

clive
Bob

Post by Bob »

Well, I purchased a tube, and the scent is not the scent that I loved. I did not buy directly from GFT, so I suppose it's possible that I got an older tube. Still, I think I'm writing off Trumper's Violet.
--Bob--
brothers

Post by brothers »

Sad news for those of us who've never experienced the former GFT Violet.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444