What's in the box?

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
brothers

Re: What's in the box?

Post by brothers »

Evidently while I was sleeping the shaving fairy has left a massive hoard of stuff in the box:

As of June 23 2016 I'm no longer using this stuff. It's just sitting in a box without consideration for future use by me.

1. Barrister & Mann DFS shaving soap (Damn Fine Shave forum LE product)
2. Catie's Bubbles Mile High Menthol shaving soap
3. Nanny's Silly Soap Ice and a Slice shaving soap
4. Plisson HMW horn #18 brush w/pentagonal facets 29mm x 64mm
5. Plisson EW or (HMW?) Plexi (giant brush) 31mm x 79mm with matching Plexi stand
6. Atkinson's Royal Briar in large glass bottle
7. Mennen Skin Bracer in 9 ounce glass bottle
Last edited by brothers on Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

Current box contents 07-12-16

1. Catie's Bubbles Mile High Menthol shaving soap
2. Nanny's Silly Soap Ice and a Slice shaving soap
3. Plisson HMW horn #18 brush w/pentagonal facets 29mm x 64mm
4. Plisson EW or (HMW?) Plexi (giant brush) 31mm x 79mm with matching Plexi stand
5. Mennen Skin Bracer in 9 ounce glass bottle
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

19July2016

I never thought I'd be typing this ---

1. Plisson HMW horn #18 brush w/pentagonal facets 29mm x 64mm
2. Plisson EW (or maybe HMW?) Plexi (giant brush) 31mm x 79mm with matching Plexi stand
3. A whole bunch of other boar and badger brushes I'll never use - I can't bring myself to put my two Rooney Finest brushes in the box

Replaced by the current generation synthetic (Razorock Plissoft Monster synthetic).
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

As of 28Aug2016

1. Tim's Lime shaving soap. Used x 1.
2. Crown King (PAA) Guillermo (clone of Willliams' fragrance with a great lather) shaving soap. Both new and unused.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

28Sept2016

Nothing in the box. Probably time for me to do some more deep housecleaning.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Still empty, 08Dec16. A couple of weeks ago I had jammed a huge (several pounds) bunch of stale stuff in the box, thinking it had to go. Let it sit there a while and eventually put several soaps and creams back into my tubs so I can keep using them. The most fun part of it was that I did follow through with my original plan to throw away a lot of old products that just can't cut the mustard anymore. Makes me very happy to know they're out in the dumpster now! Good riddance --- =D>
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

26March2017 - in the next few days the box is probably going to be packed with several big beautiful boar brushes.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Current box contents 05June2017

1 x TOBS Jermyn St. shaving cream
2 x Penhaligons Sartorial shaving soap in bowl NOS in box
1 x Myrsol shaving cream soap 1000g NOS
5 x Myrsol shaving cream soap 150g
1 x Gron Lycka shaving soap 200g NOS

There may also be a few brushes. I'm still thinking about that. I've got too many brushes.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Updated current box contents 05July17:

1 x TOBS Luxury Lime shaving soap NOS
2 x Penhaligons Sartorial shaving soap in bowl NOS in box
1 x Myrsol shaving cream soap 1000g NOS
1 x Gron Lycka shaving soap 200g NOS
Gary

mlb549

Post by mlb549 »

Everyone of those is a homerun!!! A very nice box indeed. I have those except the Myrsol 150's. Enjoy!
Mike
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Well Gary now that the box is less full you may want to check out the latest from Cold River Soap Works. I think you introduced them to the Shaving Soaps and Creams forum a while ago. I tried some and liked it, but not the price. They sent me an email ad and I didn't like the sound of the scents--too tropical for me. When I checked their offerings I found plenty of better sounking scents, but still not the price.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
brothers

Post by brothers »

Pete, it must have been someone else with the CRSW soap, as it is one that I've read about, but haven't had an opportunity to give it a try in person.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

The content of the box is the same now as it was back in July, last time I updated it. However, my blades and razors are virtually all in the box now that I've taken up with the General which uses only the Kai Captain and the Feather Pro blades.
Gary

CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Gary, I'm not sure I get it.

You gradually fill the box, then, all of a sudden, it's empty.

Where does everything go?
(I know you took some razors out of the box to sell, but what about the rest?)

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

CMur12 wrote:Gary, I'm not sure I get it.

You gradually fill the box, then, all of a sudden, it's empty.

Where does everything go?
(I know you took some razors out of the box to sell, but what about the rest?)

- Murray
Murray, the original post explains how I use the box. I use it to keep track of stuff I don't use, but don't really know what to do with. Better than having a bunch of stuff laying around that I don't even know I have. :)
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

This is an update: I just checked the inventory of the Box. It hasn't seen any additions or losses since October 28th, when I added an unused tub of Phoenix & Beau Star Noir tallow shaving soap. If I started now and used nothing other than these products, it would be at least two years from now before they were all gone. I've got to do something with all of this stuff. This doesn't even begin to cover razors, brushes, blades, etc. It's an embarrassing hoard just going to waste.

Current box contents 10-28-17

1 x TOBS Luxury Lime shaving soap new in box
2 x Penhaligons Sartorial shaving soap in bowl new in box
1 x Myrsol shaving cream soap 1000g new
1 x Gron Lycka shaving soap 200g new
1 x Phoenix & Beau Star Noir soap new
Gary

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

too bad there isnt any trumpers rose in your box...id buy it all :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

Current box contents 30Jan2018

1 x TOBS Luxury Lime shaving soap new in box
2 x Penhaligons Sartorial shaving soap in bowl new in box
1 x Myrsol shaving cream soap 1000g new
1 x Gron Lycka shaving soap 200g new
1 x Phoenix & Beau Star Noir soap new
1 x Penhaligons Blenheim Bouquet EdT
1 x Penhaligons English Fern aftershave
1 x Penhaligons Sartorial EdT
Gary

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Penhaligons Sartorial shaving soap
any good? I know back in the day :) quite a few gents were gung-ho about the brand, but one doesnt really read about it that often circa 2018!

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

Funny thing about the sudden appearance of the Penhaligon's fragrances in the box. I have been using the Superior 70 Mentholated splash for so long that it has become a beloved habit. I can't use anything else. I've never used fragrances to attract others, and yesterday I decided to pop the caps and see how nice they all smell. Yikes! That stuff is far too strong and clearly unpleasant any more. Don't want it. I'll never use it. Thanks Superior! :D
Gary