Plisson Shaving Soap

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: Plisson Shaving Soap

Post by drmoss_ca »

brothers wrote:
fallingwickets wrote:
and some of the old guys are using good old fashioned tallow in their recipes.
well dandy and rake is tallow isnt it? Not one my favourite latherers, that's for sure. Also, I'd love to mainstay an artisanal soap maker that blows it out of the park.....so far, and way toooooo many credit card swipes later, I havent come across one. I'm still going to be buying / trying the hyped 'made in a basement' type soap, but for the most part I will be doing my part to keep the vegetarian ancients in business :D :D

clive
DRH also isn't one of my favorite lathering soaps. Far from it actually. I just give them extra credit for the fact they still claim to be using tallow even if it doesn't actually perform like one.
I've been working through my Shelves of Shame with 100+ soaps on them, and one of the eyebrow raisers was Arlington. That stuff actually lathers really well, and markedly better than the other two DRH soaps I have (all old stock, and might not reflect any recipe changes made in the last ten years).
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

lathers really well, and markedly better than the other two DRH soaps
Ugh...I had totally forgotten that there isnt equality within a house. I'll have to go searching for a cake of arlington to see how it compares with the marlborough. Thanks for the reminder, Chris

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

I dug out my Harris cake from the vault here at the Chateau. It's Harris Lavender. It sits in an old Durance shaving soap bowl made of porcelain. Durance shaving soap is another story but I bought the bowl because I liked it and the Harris sits perfectly in it.

For those who don't know Harris' lavender and almond shaving soap cakes are not actually scented according to their description, at least that's how they used to be way back when. I believe they just have the oils in them and they have a clean scent. From what has been posted years ago they both smell almost exactly the same but since I never got around to ordering an old almond cake I can't confirm this. There should be a few threads that describe this from what I recall.

Interestingly enough the lavender I have also has almond oil in it. Both used to be tallow made. I can't speak for any of the newer cakes and scents.

I shaved today with the Harris and it was excellent. The lather was rich, protective and slick, just as a shaving soap should be.

My cake has to be ten years or older because I bought it when we first moved here eleven years ago.

If what they sell now isn't performing this way then they're sundered and I'm extremely disappointed. Harris used to be one the great shaving soap and cream producers.

Perhaps a sign of the times, ce la vie.

Chris
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Been using the Harris, damn it's good.

Chris
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

which one, chris?
de gustibus non est disputandum
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Clive, my old cake of DR Harris Lavender. Must be a decade or older.

Used it again today, fantastic.

Chris