good sipping whiskey?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
brothers

Re: good sipping whiskey?

Post by brothers »

$79 plus tax.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I paid $95 for a bottle at the largest local liquor/wine store in the area. And that included the enormous Washington State Taxes.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
brothers

Post by brothers »

Eagle Rare (Buffalo Trace)
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
celar36

Post by celar36 »

Mortlach or Strahisla. Love them
Jack
brothers

Post by brothers »

Jack Daniel's Green label. Hard to find, available in only 5 states. Mine came from Texas.
Gary

pausted

Post by pausted »

I was browsing the bourbon selection at the liquor store attached to Costco this morning. The clerk said "you're a bourbon guy, right?" I said yes and he went to the back and brought out a bottle of Blanton's. $59.00 plus tax. It's mine now! I asked him how many he got in his shipment. Six bottles.
Best regards,

Basil
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Wow Basil, I paid about #10 more locally. Had to give all that up due to a bleeding ulcer, No more alcohol in any form. Enjoy the best that I know of.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
pausted

Post by pausted »

Thanks, Pete. I'll enjoy it in small doses. :)
Best regards,

Basil
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

A friend left a bottle of Larceny at my house a few weeks ago. It's treated me well.
Regards,
Mike
pausted

Post by pausted »

Mike, I need to be on the lookout for a bottle of Larceny. Heaven Hill makes some very good whiskey. I would like to try one of their wheated bourbons. Thanks for reminding me.
Best regards,

Basil
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

pausted wrote:Mike, I need to be on the lookout for a bottle of Larceny. Heaven Hill makes some very good whiskey. I would like to try one of their wheated bourbons. Thanks for reminding me.
Heaven Hill is one of those distilleries that produced a variety of quality bourbons that are especially cheap in Kentucky. Good liquor stores will carry the full range of Heaven Hill products; even some of their stuff in the $10-$15 range, especially when bonded, is very, very good.
Regards,
Mike
brothers

Post by brothers »

pausted wrote:I was browsing the bourbon selection at the liquor store attached to Costco this morning. The clerk said "you're a bourbon guy, right?" I said yes and he went to the back and brought out a bottle of Blanton's. $59.00 plus tax. It's mine now! I asked him how many he got in his shipment. Six bottles.
That was a very good price. I found a bottle and it cost me more than that. Anyway, now I have it for as long as it lasts. The woman at the store where I found it told me they have never received any Pappy Van Winkle and probably never will, but if they should get one sometime in the future, it would cost something around $1600 at today's rate. She did say they have a bottle of the Old Rip Van Winkle and they are asking $900 for it.
Gary

pausted

Post by pausted »

In my opinion, those prices are crazy. My palate wouldn't deserve whiskey costing that much. A few years ago I found about 7 or 8 dusty 375 ml bottles of Old Fitzgerald bottled-in-bond at a local store. I bought them all for about 4 bucks a bottle if memory serves me. That whiskey came from the old Stitzel-Weller distillery and I'll bet it was very close in flavor to the Van Winkle whiskey. Its all gone now but I remember it well.
Best regards,

Basil
brothers

Post by brothers »

The best combination for me is "cheap and good". :) More often than not, my personal experience has shown me that there is really no correlation between stuff that I really like, and the prices that are charged for stuff that often turns out to be "not my cup of tea". I like bargains.
Gary

pausted

Post by pausted »

Me too, Gary. I have recently discovered a Beam product called "Jim Beam Double Oak, Twice Barreled". The bottle says it is barreled a second time in a different barrel and further aged. It really is a nice whiskey and I like it a lot. It's less than 20 dollars here in south Texas. Look for the dark blue label.
Best regards,

Basil
brothers

Post by brothers »

Hmmm!! I can definitely see that. Thanks for the heads-up.
Gary

maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

brothers wrote:
pausted wrote:I was browsing the bourbon selection at the liquor store attached to Costco this morning. The clerk said "you're a bourbon guy, right?" I said yes and he went to the back and brought out a bottle of Blanton's. $59.00 plus tax. It's mine now! I asked him how many he got in his shipment. Six bottles.
That was a very good price. I found a bottle and it cost me more than that. Anyway, now I have it for as long as it lasts. The woman at the store where I found it told me they have never received any Pappy Van Winkle and probably never will, but if they should get one sometime in the future, it would cost something around $1600 at today's rate. She did say they have a bottle of the Old Rip Van Winkle and they are asking $900 for it.
$60 for Blanton's?? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Generally $40, even here in the far northern reaches of the Hoosier State.
Regards,
Mike
pausted

Post by pausted »

You're lucky, Mike. I've not seen it for $40 here ever. Even years ago it was $50. My guess is the difference in state taxes.
Best regards,

Basil
brothers

Post by brothers »

pausted wrote:Me too, Gary. I have recently discovered a Beam product called "Jim Beam Double Oak, Twice Barreled". The bottle says it is barreled a second time in a different barrel and further aged. It really is a nice whiskey and I like it a lot. It's less than 20 dollars here in south Texas. Look for the dark blue label.
I checked with one of my local vendors today. She looked it up and tells me the local distributor will be delivering the Double Oak JB this coming Wednesday.
Gary

pausted

Post by pausted »

Good, Gary. Hope you'll give it a try and post your thoughts.
Best regards,

Basil