DE razors which are consider more aggressive than mild

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

DE razors which are consider more aggressive than mild

Post by Sam »

Read Chris's thread about his recent shave with the General SE razor. Used a Hawk and well, I can't tell if it is that it shaves no more closer than the Harrys multiblade I have or if a DE would be better or if it means my beard has changed. At least the Hawk was no irritation after blade buffing but Harry's does leave it a bit raw.

Other than say the Merkur slant or vision, what DE razors would be more than a mild shave? Any thing under $30 or so, like Maggards or Weishi or Italian Barber? I never thought the Fattips I tried out years ago were aggressive, and I do like the styling of a twist to open. Intent to use Feather or Personna med prep blades or something similar.
jar

Re: DE razors which are consider more aggressive than mild

Post by jar »

Weishi 9306, Feather Popular and Viking Chieftain (Bali? ) are all about like a Gillette Super Speed, pretty mild.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

jar wrote:Weishi 9306, Feather Popular and Viking Chieftain (Bali? ) are all about like a Gillette Super Speed, pretty mild.
Ok, now to the more aggressive side?
jar

Post by jar »

Quiet, isn't it?

Some of the three and two piece razors are somewhat more aggressive but not by much until you get up in the higher price range. There are the EJ DE89 series but it's still relatively mild. There is the Merkur 34c and 23C but again, relatively mild.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Saw Maggards V3a. Maybe a bit more aggressive and I can choose a handle. Anyone got experience with V3 or V3a? The V3 is a bit cheaper and the V3a comes in grey matte. Looking at the M18 handle I like that and the Twist to open Baili they have there (maybe its just me and the styling?) I think it, and the Weishi 9306 and a Gillette Superspeed are all about the same?
Tucker

Post by Tucker »

You would really like the Ming Shi 2000s which is a Merkur Futur copy for under $10. I got mine on Aliexpress.com
pausted

Post by pausted »

Sam, I have the V3A head and MR11 handle. The combo works great for me. It is quite efficient and I would say mid aggressive. Works great with an Astra SS blade. I prefer the SS rather than the more popular SP. I think they are sharper.
Best regards,

Basil
jar

Post by jar »

Sam wrote:Saw Maggards V3a. Maybe a bit more aggressive and I can choose a handle. Anyone got experience with V3 or V3a? The V3 is a bit cheaper and the V3a comes in grey matte. Looking at the M18 handle I like that and the Twist to open Baili they have there (maybe its just me and the styling?) I think it, and the Weishi 9306 and a Gillette Superspeed are all about the same?
Yes, the TTO Bali, Weishi, Feather Popular are all simply Super Speed clones.
Tucker

Post by Tucker »

Italian Barber sells the equivalent heads that Maggard's Razors does. I have sourced them from both vendors, and they are the same. The mild/medium Maggard V3 is the same as the Italian Barber Protoge or Mission. The more aggressive Maggard V3a is the same as the Italian Barber Mentor. Both are great vendors to order from. I happen to prefer IB's handles, as I find Maggard's threads to be a little rough. However, Maggard's has more handle choices.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Got the Futur clone and the Razorock Quick change Twist to Open and a 100 pack of Green 7 Oclock blades for $35.00 at Italian Barber. Could have gotten a gunmetal TTO Baili and the futu clone for $25 shipped at an ebay site. Looks like they want to move the Gillette blades for some reason, $10 for 100. Squire gave them a decent rating, the stainless ones.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Italian Barber's twist to open Baili razor. First shave. Forgot how nimble DE razors are with regard to blade buffing and trimming sideburns and goatees. Miles ahead of the multi bladed razors. I felt that this was a very mild razor but it shaved me as close as the Hawk I used and the Harry's four-bladed razor, but with one exception - I was able to blade buff very aggressively without any irritation. Don't know that it shaved it closer, but I am not irritated. And this was with the first shave on a green 7 o'clock blade. All in all not a bad first shave out of the box
jar

Post by jar »

Sam wrote:Italian Barber's twist to open Baili razor. First shave. Forgot how nimble DE razors are with regard to blade buffing and trimming sideburns and goatees. Miles ahead of the multi bladed razors. I felt that this was a very mild razor but it shaved me as close as the Hawk I used and the Harry's four-bladed razor, but with one exception - I was able to blade buff very aggressively without any irritation. Don't know that it shaved it closer, but I am not irritated. And this was with the first shave on a green 7 o'clock blade. All in all not a bad first shave out of the box
I find the Bali (I have the Viking iteration), Weishi 9306 and Feather Popular very mild but that they also give great shaves.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Anything that is like the Futur or clone but without the bulkiness of the head or its weight? Maybe something like a butterfly or twist -to-open but with adjustable settings?
Weekly

Post by Weekly »

jar wrote:Quiet, isn't it?

Some of the three and two piece razors are somewhat more aggressive but not by much until you get up in the higher price range. There are the EJ DE89 series but it's still relatively mild. There is the Merkur 34c and 23C but again, relatively mild.
The Parker 98R , nothing mild about it , when compared with other 3 Piece razors in the Price range
It was my first razor and 5 razors later it is still my most used razor, it pair's really great with a large
Number of the blades in my large lifetime supply of blades..
brothers

Post by brothers »

Sam, maybe I've missed it, but has anyone suggested the Gillette Slim adjustable? Or maybe one of the Super Adjustable models that come in long and short handle versions. If the user chooses a higher number of adjustment, it's definitely more aggressive.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Gary, no. If you happen to find one PM me please
BPman

Post by BPman »

If you are looking for convenience than I would simply forget DE/SE shaving and go back to multi-blade disposable razors as the latter do work faster & more efficiently in less strokes. The downside is that for many they cause irritation and ingrown hairs. A person has to make that decision which is more important to them first or else they're just wasting time & money in all seriousness.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Sam wrote:Gary, no. If you happen to find one PM me please
Sam, PM sent. I apologize for the delay in reading your post.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Well I've been able to use a Gillette adjustable and traded off the Ming Shi Futur clone. Is someone said in another thread, I cannot tell a difference between the adjustable on setting 5 or setting 9, but it does make the shave more aggressive. The finished product is the Same. I also have a Chinese razor that I bought And it = the adjustable on setting 5. I've been using green 7 o'clock and it's a little bit harder to blade buff at 1st with 1. I think I probably prefer the feather blades over all
Modern Ancient

Post by Modern Ancient »

The Parker 96R is an absolute beast. Razor burn city! For me, anyway. If you want an aggressive razor, I would suggest the Parker 96R, or, the Master Barber Classic Safety Razor. That one is super aggressive, as well. :oops: :!:

I hope that helps.