Schick vs. Personna injector blades?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
bigsid

Schick vs. Personna injector blades?

Post by bigsid »

I recently bought a package of the new Schicks. The blade gave a satisfactory shave although I had quite a difficult time with the loader. Just wondering how the Personna blades compare shave-wise and any similar loading issues?. Thanks!
Tucker

Re: Schick vs. Personna injector blades?

Post by Tucker »

They are both adequate blades, and worth trying. I happen to prefer the all metal magazine of the Chinese Schicks that I find at a local grocery store. I don't like the plastic aspect of the Personna magazine, and have had it separate on me. One of the few good things about the Supply Provisions Injector Razor, is that allows you to load a blade manually rather than "injecting" it, so I can try both blade types without fiddling with the magazine loaders. I've heard using a little shaving oil or mineral oil helps lubricate the process of loading a blade in an Injector Razor.
bigsid

Post by bigsid »

Tucker, Thankyou for your reply. I searched online for the Supply Provision razor. I like that you can select mild to aggressive with the adjustment plates. Also the ability to manually load blades as you mentioned. Since that is possible I'm wondering if there are other se blades better than Schick or Personnas (without loading "stems") that would fit the razor? In the meanwhile I'm going to see if I can locate some Personnas.
Tucker

Post by Tucker »

They are coming out with a version two of the Supply Provisions Razor. I would recommend waiting for that one, as the V1 has some shortcomings. See my other post here today on the forum. However, there is more flexibility, as one can cut down the family of Artist Club Razor Blades from 50mm to 38mm to fit Injector Razors. I use tin snips for the task, and use a injector blade for a template to mark the length with a Sharpie marker then I cut. Some actually then load it in a magazine to inject it in a standard Schick Injector Razor, but that sounds like a pain. I have only tried cut-down Artist Club Blades with the Supply Provisions Razor, and it didn't improve the shave much. The Supply Provisions has a screw that can be unscrewed to allow the insertion of any blade without using an injector magazine. That is how the three aggression plates are changed, as well. You might try CVS Pharmacy for Personna Injector Blades. CVS stocked them a few years ago, but I haven't checked lately.

If you want to try the wonderful Artist Club Blades (Feather Professional, Feather ProGuard, Kai Captain Mild), Italian Barber sells the Satin Hawk SE Razor for $24.99 plus shipping. They have free shipping for orders that achieve $60 which would be easy to do if you add blades or soap/cream, etc.
BPman

Post by BPman »

It depends on which injector razor you are using. The modern Personna blades are sharper IMO and work better in newer (less aggressive) injector models and the "Chick" Chinese blade works better in older more aggressive injector razors, e.g., E & G Models.
bigsid

Post by bigsid »

Thanks BPman.
brothers

Post by brothers »

I am wondering if a Feather Super Pro blade might also be cut down and used in our standard injector razors. I understand the Super Pro is more aggressive than the Pro, due to a slightly more pronounced blade exposure (wider blade with more edge showing). Has anyone tried this?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Late to the party here, sorry. I have a very long history with the Schick injectors, since 1965 to be exact. Luckily I have a good supply of the original Schick platinum's as well as the Personna 74s. None of the currently manufactured injector blades can hold a candle to them. If you ever used the originals you would easily see why. A few years ago some people on this forum tried to cut down the feather blades and use them in the Schick injectors. As I recall the experiment didn't work out so good. Even if you got the Feather blade to fit the Schick injector head the angle was wrong. The result was not a very smooth shave the Injectors are known for. Just my 2 cents
Regards,
David
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

I forgot to ad that the chinese-made Schick blades are actually pretty decent. Probably the best of the bunch of the newly manufactured blades.
Regards,
David
brothers

Post by brothers »

desertbadger wrote:I forgot to ad that the chinese-made Schick blades are actually pretty decent. Probably the best of the bunch of the newly manufactured blades.
I've moved away from the injector razors, but I do agree with you about the Chinese Shicks (Chicks).
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444