Worst scent ever

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
brothers

Re: Worst scent ever

Post by brothers »

Barry wrote:I don't care for the Master Colognes....

I tried Master Topaz... no wonder it's $36.00 a gallon.

Draggon Noir #14 as well.

I'm surprised criminals don't use this stuff to mask odors odors when necessary.
They probably do, just as you suggested, but what they forget is that the stinky cheap stuff is a dead giveaway. "Officer, if we can find a guy around here that matches that stinky lingering odor he left as he ran away, we'll definitely have our man!"
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
mlb549

Post by mlb549 »

I feel honored that my beloved Pinaud/Clubman products are garnering so much attention. I have and use the entire stable, and have for years. Fortunately, I am not bothered by hoards of social invitations or ravaged with the affections of sex-starved maidens----this must be the up side of the equation!!! I just call them my Stink Pretties.
Mike
NickP68

Post by NickP68 »

CMur12 wrote:
Nick, welcome to SMF!

- Murray
brothers wrote:Hi Nick. Welcome to SMF!

@cmur12 @brothers thank you! :)
brothers

Post by brothers »

mlb549 wrote:I feel honored that my beloved Pinaud/Clubman products are garnering so much attention. I have and use the entire stable, and have for years. Fortunately, I am not bothered by hoards of social invitations or ravaged with the affections of sex-starved maidens----this must be the up side of the equation!!! I just call them my Stink Pretties.
I tried them all and the only Pinaud Clubman I cared for was the Original. The rest were cheap enough that I didn't have any regrets when I tossed them out.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

I'm coming late to the party, but the good doctor hit the nail on the head with this one. Normally, I like some of the Pinaud products because of the ye olde baber shoppe scents. I threw away the bottle of Lilac Vegetal; that stuff will gag a maggot.
Years ago, (a lot of years ago) when I was in Junior High school, the rave was one called Hai Karate, so what the hell, I bought a bottle. The scent was so strong and pungent I couldn't stand it. I gave it to my dad, who took one wiff of the bottle, then threw it in the trash.
Regards,
David
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I remember when Hai Karate came out, back when I was a teenager. It was heavily advertised.

I never tried it, though.

- Murray
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

CMur12 wrote:I remember when Hai Karate came out, back when I was a teenager. It was heavily advertised.

- Murray
Murray trust me, you didn't miss anything.
Regards,
David
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

desertbadger wrote:
CMur12 wrote:I remember when Hai Karate came out, back when I was a teenager. It was heavily advertised.

- Murray
Murray trust me, you didn't miss anything.
:mrgreen:
brothers

Post by brothers »

desertbadger wrote:I'm coming late to the party, but the good doctor hit the nail on the head with this one. Normally, I like some of the Pinaud products because of the ye olde baber shoppe scents. I threw away the bottle of Lilac Vegetal; that stuff will gag a maggot.
Years ago, (a lot of years ago) when I was in Junior High school, the rave was one called Hai Karate, so what the hell, I bought a bottle. The scent was so strong and pungent I couldn't stand it. I gave it to my dad, who took one wiff of the bottle, then threw it in the trash.
David, just think of all the 7th and 8th grade girls at school we impressed with our new found source of acting like idiots. :D Those were some very frustrating years for some of us. If I recall correctly, I also threw my Hai Karate away, at least I hope I didn't go around stinking for too many days. Fortunately for me (and the girls), having on a stinky cologne all day long literally gave me a terrible splitting headache and sometimes barfing.
Gary

desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Yeah, Gary I know what do you mean. I remember the smell of the locker room after gym class. Ugh! It would have have been better if no one showered.
Regards,
David
brothers

Post by brothers »

If I get another vote, I'd like to add English Leather to my never-again list.
Gary

CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Do they still make English Leather? I had some of this when I was a teenager, but I rarely wore cologne and it saw little use.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

Murray, I checked google and am amazed that it's still available from quite a few vendors. Just not my cup of tea!
Gary

CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

brothers wrote:Murray, I checked google and am amazed that it's still available from quite a few vendors. Just not my cup of tea!
Nor mine, Gary. :)

- Murray
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

CMur12 wrote:
brothers wrote:Murray, I checked google and am amazed that it's still available from quite a few vendors. Just not my cup of tea!
Nor mine, Gary. :)

- Murray
+2.....If I remember right, it was a very strong scent similar in strength (not scent) to Knize 10. Just a little too much and you would kill people on an elevator.
Regards,
David
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I finished off the bottle of Lilac Vegetal that has languished in a cupboard for several years yesterday. My elderly Ford Expedition was invaded by mice about three winters ago, and despite having the interior stripped and cleaned, it still reeks. Yesterday I found another mouse nest in the tool compartment under the floor of the luggage area. Having thrown that out, I sprinkled the rest of the bottle over the interior. Awful as it is, it doesn't smell as bad as a hot car with mouse urine cooking gently in the heat, and I'm hoping the mice won't like it at all. I'd rather the car smelled of urinal cakes than the mice.
In fact, there have been no mice in the vehicle that I know of since it was stripped and cleaned, but there must be traces of their scent in the sound proofing inside the bodywork. It seems the best way to keep them out is peppermint oil, and I have been soaking it into squares of thick cardboard that can be inserted under the headliner and other strategic spots. I'm stuck with this situation as no one would buy the vehicle as it is. I can only hope that when Zeus decides to strike me with a thunderbolt for my unbelief, he misses me and hits the truck, writing it off in a flash.

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Ah, a 'scrubber'. AKA a slapper, or a slag in UK slang. What it might mean in the US I don't know, but I'm probably letting my mind wander where it ought not to go.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

I made the mistake of trying a drop or two of Azzaro "Wanted by Night" EdP on the back of my hand one time.
Cool bottle, eh?
I thought it was awful.
When I got home I tried scrubbing it off with soap and water, then some hand sanitizer, hoping the alcohol would do something.
Nothing worked, and I was stuck with the scent for 16 days. I'm not kidding.
Now I have the sense to ask for one of those little strips of blotter paper to test scents.

For what it's worth, here's what they say about it:
Wanted by Azzaro is a Woody Spicy fragrance for men. ... The nose behind this fragrance is Fabrice Pellegrin. Top notes are lemon, ginger, lavender and mint; middle notes are guatemalan cardamom, juniper, apple and geranium; base notes are haitian vetiver, tonka bean and amberwood.
I thought it smelled like an attic that has not been opened up for 50 years.

My other un-favourite is Aqua Velva Ice Blue. Or any of the common AV aftershave splashes, as far as that goes.
Never smelled LV though. Maybe I'm lucky.
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

I sniffed a bit of Nivea "Deep" aftershave in the store a while ago.
OMG . . . people made this on purpose?

To add insult to injury, they stopped carrying Nivea's perfectly good shaving cream (with a harmless scent) to make shelf room for it.
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

drmoss_ca wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:23 pm I vote for Pinaud Lilac Vegetal, which smells exactly like Harpic.
Does it have anything that could possibly be mistaken for actual Lilac?
I like the smell of lilacs in the spring.

It took me a few tries to like Pinaud Clubman classic, but now it is in rotation with the others.
I recently got to try Clubman Vanilla. SWMBO and I both like it. It reminds me a bit of Mennen Skin Bracer, which is one of my favourites.

I also got to try "Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum After Shave Cologne" - Nah. I have yet to find any product with "Bay Rum" in the name that I can stand.