Got a new brush

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
desertbadger

Got a new brush

Post by desertbadger »

I'm mainly a badger brush user but also have a few boar brushes, all of them Omega. I just received my first Semogue, the owners club boar with the cherry handle. Today was it's maiden voyage and all went well, no surprises, and it was about what I expected. A little scritchy (which I like) good backbone, (which I really like) lots of lather, and while it's not a 'big' brush, (which I prefer) it's not exactly small either. After it 'breaks in' I think I'm gonna like this brush.
Last edited by desertbadger on Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Regards,
David
Rufus

Re: Got a new brush

Post by Rufus »

Exactly my opinion. I own 2 boars: SOC with cherry handle and Omega B&B Essential boar. Although I'm primarily a badger man, with 32, I'm always pleasantly surprised how good my 2 boars feel, especially the SOC.
Bryan
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Yeah, Bryan, some of these boar brushes are very impressive. Too bad Zach (he used to belong to the forum) doesn't weigh in here. He was quite the expert on boar brushes.
Regards,
David
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

David, congratulations on the new brush. As you already know about boar, it will improve significantly as it breaks in.

My favorite brushes for both badger and boar are of the Semogue brand. I got my first Semogue badger in 2008, and it was all that I had always hoped for out of a badger brush but had not yet found. My favorite boar brush is the Semogue 1305. It's a small brush, which is my preference, and it is made with a grade of bristle unlike any other in my experience. The 830 has the same bristle in a denser knot. Semogue employs a great variety of boar bristle types in its brushes.

Although I use other brushes, too, the little Semogue 1305 boar is probably the brush that works most effectively for me with my current lathering technique (lather made on top of the cake of soap).

- Murray
pausted

Post by pausted »

Fellas, let me tell you about a boar brush I recently purchased. Italian Barber sells some boar brushes under their Razorock brand. My research tells me these are made by Zenith in Italy. I bought the 506UK model which is 26 X 64 and has a beautiful olivewood handle for $19.99. After owning several Omegas and Semogues, I can say that this Zenith is a cut above the others. There was no "boar funk" and it broke in like a dream very quickly. It has become a favorite. They even sell a brush they call the "Blondie" for $7.99! I think it has the same knot as my brush but with a black plastic handle. That could be a very cheap way to try one of the Zenith knots. Just a thought.
Best regards,

Basil
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Basil: Good to know about the Zenith brand. Some of the lesser (cheaper) cost boars actually perform better than what their price tag would lead you to believe. My first real boar was the big Omega 49 Pro I purchased for $8.99 shipping included, about 10 years ago. That thing is a lather machine and still going strong!

Bryan: Does drP know about your badger collection?.... =D> :D

Murray: Thank you, bud!
Regards,
David
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Use in good health :D

clive

p.s. ive never used a boar brush....maybe I'll try one of those zeniths
de gustibus non est disputandum
Janus

Post by Janus »

pausted wrote: ... After owning several Omegas and Semogues, I can say that this Zenith is a cut above the others ...
That has been my experience as well. I have a couple of the big all metal handled ones (chrome over copper, I believe) and while the Omega 48 may look the same, it is not. The Zenith is much better, IMO.
Janus
jar

Post by jar »

pausted wrote:Fellas, let me tell you about a boar brush I recently purchased. Italian Barber sells some boar brushes under their Razorock brand. My research tells me these are made by Zenith in Italy. I bought the 506UK model which is 26 X 64 and has a beautiful olivewood handle for $19.99. After owning several Omegas and Semogues, I can say that this Zenith is a cut above the others. There was no "boar funk" and it broke in like a dream very quickly. It has become a favorite. They even sell a brush they call the "Blondie" for $7.99! I think it has the same knot as my brush but with a black plastic handle. That could be a very cheap way to try one of the Zenith knots. Just a thought.
Let me add that the Zenith Badger brushes are also very, very nice. I have two 506 badger, one Mancurian and the other a Best.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

where is the best place to buy a zenith?
de gustibus non est disputandum
jar

Post by jar »

fallingwickets wrote:where is the best place to buy a zenith?
Italian Barber or seller jankdc on eBay
pausted

Post by pausted »

The Italian Barber brushes will be branded "Razorock", jankdc on ebay sells Zenith with their actual brand name.
Best regards,

Basil
brothers

Post by brothers »

Zenith boar brushes are good performers. They represent a good value in a good shaving brush.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444