Shaving soap abuse

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
brothers

Shaving soap abuse

Post by brothers »

I pamper my shaving soaps for 97% of their natural life, but when I'm bound and determined to use it up before taking up the next one, I begin to smell victory, and then the fun begins. First, when it's abundantly clear that the end is in sight I run a couple of tablespoons of very hot water on the soap and let it sit for a while before loading the brush. This softens up the surface. When it comes time to load the brush I might spend as much as 30 seconds loading time, rather than the normal 15 or 20 seconds. When the big day arrives and the hapless soap appears to be in the throes of the final shave, I'll just keep loading the brush until the very last vestige of any soap has been eliminated with no remorse. I suspect that some folks might actually fear and dread the demise of the ugly little ball of dusty wax, and try in vain to use as little as possible while crying their eyes out. To each his own. Here's my point --- do you ever feel the urge to abuse your soaps, and if so, why and how?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
J T

Re: Shaving soap abuse

Post by J T »

Gary from what I've read on many of the boards that is SOP, especially for soft soaps.
~ Jack
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Ah, but those tears added to the lather give an exquisite shave.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

might actually fear and dread the demise
fully paid up member of said club...proud to admit it too LOLOLOL

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
pausted

Post by pausted »

I can honestly say that I have never felt the "fear and demise" of using up a soap mainly because if I really like the soap, I've probably already laid in a backup.... or two or three. :D
Best regards,

Basil
brothers

Post by brothers »

Here's the final hoorah of the very good soap Phoenix & Beau Star Noir tallow. You can see a faint shadow of what's left of the soap, as it sits in about a tablespoon of water. It took about 30 seconds of loading to transfer the last vestiges of the soap to the synthetic brush. (Yes, I have one backup. It's been discontinued by the way. Unless they decide to make more!)

Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Thats one very posh looking shaving bowl gary :D :D :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

Genuine plastic. But it did survive 70 days of grueling punishment at the hands of a madman.
Gary