Safety razors, that are NOT made of zamak/pot metal?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
everraser

Safety razors, that are NOT made of zamak/pot metal?

Post by everraser »

Most of the available safety razors are made of zamak/pot metal/die-cast zinc and therefore are brittle when exposed to peaks of force.

Are there safety razors, that are NOT made of zamak/pot metal/die-cast zinc...?

I would prefer a razor made of something like (stamped?) Brass, Stainless Steel...
I want my razor to outlive me OR at least it should last longer than 15 years *lol* :mrgreen:

Thank you for your input! (Please deliver a source for your claims or at least some anecdotal evidence)

Any suggestions are welcome :)
desertbadger

Re: Safety razors, that are NOT made of zamak/pot metal?

Post by desertbadger »

Most of my razors are vintage and I'm the original owner. However, one modern razor I do own is the Futur and it is not a pot metal cheapo. It is somewhat heavy duty, a fine shaver and I've been very happy with it. And yes, it will out live you.
Regards,
David
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hi everraser. There are a lot of three-piece razors that are made of stainless steel, though they usually cost more.

Among these are razors made by Ikon and the Feather AS-D2. Another brand is Above the Tie, and there are more.

I have a "Mergress" (Merkur Progress with a custom metal knob at the base of the handle) that I really like and it feels very solid to me. I don't think it is made of pot metal.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

I would refer you to four popular shaving websites for a rather broad range of currently manufactured razors that are made of the materials you are looking for. They are largely house branded, and the range of prices is quite dramatic. You will find the type of razors, heads and handles you are looking for. The proprietors are reputable and will stand behind their products.
(1) Bullgoose Shaving
(2) Italian Barber
(3) Maggard Razors
(4) Connaught Shaving
I have done business with all 4, and my personal experiences are all positive.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Modern Ancient

Post by Modern Ancient »

I, recently, purchased a Mehaz razor. It is, easily, twice as heavy, as my other butterfly safety razors. The Master Barber Classic safety razor, I believe, claims to be made of Pakistani Brass, although, I would double check that.
jar

In praise of Zamac

Post by jar »

Zamac gets a really rough deal, one that is certainly not deserved based on reality.

Gillette started using Zamac for razor heads about the time of the Korean War. Quite a few of those Zamac razors are still around, still being used and still looking good. Those razors have lasted over a half century. I have some. I use them. They have been treated just like my brass or steel or any other material. They work as well today as they did a half century ago.

In this picture the middle razor is definitely Zamac and the one on the left is almost certainly Zamac and I have another English Tech with a Zamac head and all the faceted head Gillette razors were Zamac heads IIRC.

Zamac works. Is it different than steel or brass or plastic? Yup. Is it worse than steel or brass or plastic? Nope; just different.

If someone does not want to buy a Zamac head razor, fine; but let's not pretend that it is a decision based on some quality claim.
brothers

Post by brothers »

I have always wondered what's supposed to be wrong with it. Especially in a razor head.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

brothers wrote:I have always wondered what's supposed to be wrong with it. Especially in a razor head.
Gary, there has been the occasional report of a manufacturing defect in which the threaded peg breaks off of the top piece/dome of three-piece razors. I think I have read of this happening with a couple of Edwin Jaggers. This appears to be a rare enough occurrence that I have never worried about it. My three EJ razors are very well finished and have given me no problems.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

Same here. I had not thought of that.
Gary

Rufust445

Post by Rufust445 »

As they used to say on Monty Python: "And now for something completely different.":

http://sharpologist.com/2016/01/dorco-pl-602.html

All plastic, two piece that I've been using for the past two weeks. Not sure when I'll go to another razor.

That said, I've preferred the feel and glide of a chrome plated, zamak, three piece razor head to the
nickel plated brass of some vintage Gillette TTO's I've used in the past.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Definitely worth a try.
Gary

everraser

Post by everraser »

Rufust445 wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:48 pm As they used to say on Monty Python: "And now for something completely different.":

http://sharpologist.com/2016/01/dorco-pl-602.html

All plastic, two piece that I've been using for the past two weeks. Not sure when I'll go to another razor.

That said, I've preferred the feel and glide of a chrome plated, zamak, three piece razor head to the
nickel plated brass of some vintage Gillette TTO's I've used in the past.
I've been using the Wilkinson Classic for quite some time now... imho good razor ;=)
Janus

Post by Janus »

I've been using the RazoRock Mamba with barberpole handle lately. Mild but efficient, all stainless, very well made and good looking to boot. Apart from the ridiculous name and a slightly longer handle than I'd prefer, I think it's really impressive.
Janus