Artisan Makers Making only Italian Style Soft-Soaps

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Modern Ancient

Artisan Makers Making only Italian Style Soft-Soaps

Post by Modern Ancient »

I have noticed this. Why is this? I, much, prefer a hard roundel, of soap, as opposed to the soft mess that most artisan soap makers seem to be making, these days.
brothers

Re: Artisan Makers Making only Italian Style Soft-Soaps

Post by brothers »

I understand what you are saying, but the interesting thing about it, to me, is that there are some outstanding tallow based (and vegan) soaps being made all around the world these days and we have so many options to choose from. The best news coming out of this new class of soap making is that they just keep getting better and better in terms of performance, and there are some really good fragrances being offered too. Collectively, we seem to be less loyal to the hard triple milled traditional classics, and more accepting of the softer soaps for the obvious reasons that they work so well and they smell so good. Go Artisans! :)
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I agree with Gary about the artisan soaps and I, too, really like them.

Not all of them are soft soaps, however. Mike's Natural Soaps aren't truly "hard" soaps, but they're more hard than soft. Since artisans don't have the machinery for milling, their soaps will never be as hard as the commercial soaps that are triple-milled.

Beyond that, I don't use creams but I'm equally happy with a hard soap or a soft soap, as both behave like soap.

- Murray
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

I havent 'looked' for a soap in a really long time, but a few weeks ago I went down that rabbit hole for several hours. I was amazed by the depth of the market and a little peeved that i dont have the resources to try them all. Lots of eye catching labels and names and of course scents I would never dream of concocting myself :D At the end of the day, and maybe its just familiarity breeding a type of contempt for the other soap makers, trumpers rose is what I return to with a relish after one of my soap buying 'missions'

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I rather like the Italian soft soaps, which reminds me I should buy more. Don't actually need more but the pull is inexorable.
Regards,
Squire
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Squire, post names after your shopping spree :D :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

Yes, please post. :)
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

My favorite commercial ("big company") soaps are both Italian: Valobra hard soap and Cella soft soap.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

Murray, do you know if the newly-labeled Cella soaps still have tallow? I am thinking they didn't change their formula, just the label. I hope that's accurate.
Gary

CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

brothers wrote:Murray, do you know if the newly-labeled Cella soaps still have tallow? I am thinking they didn't change their formula, just the label. I hope that's accurate.
I don't know, Gary. Cella has made a big deal about making their soap the same way for over a hundred years, so I wouldn't expect a major reformulation. I could be wrong, though.

- Murray
Rufust445

Post by Rufust445 »

I suspect both artisan makers and larger manufacturers do more soft soaps
for the same reason: cost.

An artison can pour a measured amount of hot liquid mix into a retail container
and allow it to cool. A white tub of Proraso I used this summer had the same look
when I first opened it as a fresh tub of hummus from the supermarket: A semi-liquid
paste squirted in precisely measured amounts from machinery into retail containers.

The machinery for triple milling into precise shapes and amounts I suspect takes
more initial capital investment, and more time in processing.

The closest thing I have to a hard triple-milled soap is an LEA stick, which also works
at least as nicely as the soft soaps I've been using this summer.