Nespresso v. Keurig

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
brothers

Nespresso v. Keurig

Post by brothers »

My son has upgraded from the Keurig to the Nespresso. He says it uses some kind of pods, at about $1 each. That's all I know about it. Does anyone have an opinion after using both brands? Is the Nespresso the next big thing, or just another wannabe chasing the skirt tails of King Keurig?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Re: Nespresso v. Keurig

Post by CMur12 »

Hi Gary -

My sister has a Nespresso and she likes it. I've generally heard positive things about it.

My impression is that Keurig is for standard brewed coffee, while Nespresso is a form of espresso.

- Murray
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

We like our Nespresso. I use it for espresso primarily, but my wife uses it for other styles of coffee. It's not cheap, but it is cheaper than Starbucks. I've tried coffee from a Keurig, but find it lacks the more robust coffees that Nespresso has.
Bryan
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I feel a bit uncomfortable about the amount of packaging used and wasted with each cup when using pods. So I found a set of O-rings on Amazon and my Saeco Vienna has a new lease on life.

This summer I have also used the antique Sears Drip-O-Lator to make iced coffee, at which it is very good, and any tendency to bitterness is swamped by the sucralose and whole milk I add.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

drmoss_ca wrote:I feel a bit uncomfortable about the amount of packaging used and wasted with each cup when using pods. So I found a set of O-rings on Amazon and my Saeco Vienna has a new lease on life.

This summer I have also used the antique Sears Drip-O-Lator to make iced coffee, at which it is very good, and any tendency to bitterness is swamped by the sucralose and whole milk I add.
I too get twinges of guilt over the packaging and waste associated with pods. For my morning coffee and when I want a non-espresso coffee I use an Italian Mocha pot loaded with the most rich, full-bodied coffee I can find, usually Starbucks Komodo Dragon or French/Italian roast. I grind the beans very fine, but not as fine as for espresso.
Bryan
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

The Nespresso combined with it's companion frothing device (aeroccino I think) is probably the ideal solution for someone who wants to get as close as possible to a coffee house style latte/cappuccino without falling down the rabbit hole of spending infinite money on professional level grinders and espresso machines the size of fridges. Oh, and roasting equipment :D

The Keurig can't be beaten for convenience if you're the only one drinking coffee in your household and you don't want to pour coffee away. If you want a higher quality single cup, or to avoid the waste of the Keurig, I'd say the Aeropress is tough to beat. When I want a nicer single cup of coffee I'll use a grinder, the aeropress, and then use my Keurig machine for the hot water.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic