Microsoft Edge browser

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
brothers

Microsoft Edge browser

Post by brothers »

Is EDGE a wise choice with a new PC running Windows 10? Please give details, pros/cons?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ThePossum

Re: Microsoft Edge browser

Post by ThePossum »

NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, Under no circumstances use a Windows browser. I use Google Chrome and just love it. Moved from FireFox to Chrome browser about 3 years ago. Last time I used a Microsoft web browser was when I had a Windows 98 OS.

With Chrome browser you are able to sync your bookmarks with all your computers and even your Android phone.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
brothers

Post by brothers »

So . . . . that's a negative, right? :)
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

I'm not the one to really answer this as I don't use Windows OR Apple but rather Linux.

However, I do seem to recall seeing somewhere that the Edge browser was pretty decent. It's not the IE of yesteryear. (I think I heard it on Steve Gibsons "Security Now" podcast)

That said, it's hard to go wrong with Chrome or Firefox....I'm using Opera right now, but my default is Firefox and I also have Chrome, Chromium, Vivaldi and Brave as alternate browsers.

I use the add on/extensions uBlock Origin and Privacy Badger and would recommend those (Make sure you use uBlock ORIGIN, not the other ones without Origin in the name). Windows Defender is all I would bother with for antivirus as it's built into the Windows OS and does a decent job.

As long as you are not poking around looking for pirated stuff on *those* sites, you should be fine. If you have a good backup system, you can always restore a pre-disaster version of your system, should you somehow get compromised, or perhaps your drive failed or some such. There is no way to prevent things from eventually happening, you can only prepare to deal with it.

I back my computers up to a FreeNAS server which can lose 2 of it's 5 hds without losing data, but just to be safe, I also back that server up to two other drives.

Regards

Kaptain "Nervous Nellie" Zero
Last edited by kaptain_zero on Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Previously lost, on the way to the pasture. Now pasteurized.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Gary, I recently downloaded 10 and had the same exact question as you. According to very tech savvy acquaintances of mine, they echo what the kaptain said....edge is rather decent. I'm still on chrome :D :D BUT one of these days im going to pluck up enough courage and transfer over to msft.....goog the comapny is getting on my nerves lately

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

Five days in with W10 and Edge (I've still got Firefox and Chrome availability, of course) and so far so good. Knock on wood!
Gary