Average number of Shaves on Artist Club Blades?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
cadfael_tex

Average number of Shaves on Artist Club Blades?

Post by cadfael_tex »

Recently got an RR Blackhawk version 2. Loaded a Kai mild P.i.n.k. Blade in it and have 3 shaves under my belt. Was wondering what is the average amount of shaves you get out of the Artist Club style blades? Difference in the durability between the blades?
jar

Re: Average number of Shaves on Artist Club Blades?

Post by jar »

My rule has always been "Don't count the shaves. If it pulls, drags or hurts, change blades."
pausted

Post by pausted »

I rountinly get 12 or more excellent 2 pass shaves from a Feather Pro blade. Slightly fewer from the KAI Pink blade. Maybe 10 or so. With your three shaves, you are just getting started.
Best regards,

Basil
brothers

Post by brothers »

I have learned that the Kai and Feather AC blades will provide me with around 20 good shaves in daily use. I use them in the General razor. As we say - YMMV.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

I was able to get 23 shaves from the Feather Pro blade that I changed out today. Went with another Feather Pro.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I can go four weeks - 28 shaves with the Professional blade in the General. I change my technique for the changing sharpness. The first couple of shaves might be single pass downwards, moving to two passes, down then up, and by the last week adding some third pass touch ups. No tugging at any point in the process (I am very careful about proper beard prep) but simply diminishing returns. I could go longer and perhaps one of these days I will out of curiosity. I doubt I'll ever challenge my son's record of six months with a single blade (he used a Kriss Kross sharpener, and that probably has something to do with the length of his beard since hasn't shaved for the last ten years!)

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Tucker

Post by Tucker »

I use them for three shaves, then flip the blade for three more shaves, so a total of six shaves per blade. If I don't do this, I find that I get nicks on the fourth shave. This is just my observation, and experience. I don't bother flipping blades in DE Razors.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Yesterday's Kai had lasted 26 shaves. Stayed with a new Kai today.
Gary

TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

I confess that despite my recent post about the ordinary razor, I have been contemplating a General thanks to some nudging from Gary and Gene. I am tempted primarily by these reports of extraordinary blade longevity. Honestly even at that it's a bit of a moot point because I have enough DE blades to last a couple of decades or so, but I figured I would check in on this. At $100 for the razor and then getting more blades, the upfront cost is substantial. I could get another 600 or so really good DE blades instead and just keep rolling. Or a Mergress (yes, it's bling-y, but it's a great shaver that I ought not have sold).

Are most of you guys really getting 20 or more shaves per blade? And if so, which blades are the ones to get? I don't need especially mild blades, but the thought of a Feather blade makes me a bit nervous.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
brothers

Post by brothers »

Tim yesterday's Feather Pro was at shave # 25. Someone sent me a couple of the Kai Original Captain blades and today's first shave was smooth and sharp. No irritation. As a result I may buy myself some. Up to now I've been using Kai Captain Mild, and they were just a teeny-tiny bit more mild than the Feather Pro (almost identical). I also have a large trove of really good DE blades that I'll probably be selling off or giving away eventually.

Edit: I also would like to see responses from others so I can compare my results.
Gary

pausted

Post by pausted »

I get 10 to 12 two pass shaves from either the Feather Pro or the Kai Captain Original blade. The Kai Mild does not perform as well for me. IMO it's not as sharp as the other two.

Tim, I see that Colonial is showing only the stainless General on their site right now at $99.00. It might be worth an email to them to see if they have any aluminum heads left. The last aluminum one I bought was 29 bucks. I can vouch for the quality of the aluminum razor. I believe that Gary will agree.

Edit: Don't be afraid of the Feather blades. The General is a mild razor and benefits from a sharp blade. I don't experience any nicks, cuts, or irritation from the Feather or Kai blades.
Best regards,

Basil
Gene

Post by Gene »

TRBeck wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 3:29 pm
Sounds like Kai original will be the way to go for blades; maybe I'll get brave and try a Feather if I like the shaves.
Tim - do what feels best for you - but I kid you not - I liked the Feather better than the Kai. I bought three of each from the folks at Try-A-Blade (I need some more of the Feather, actually). They will sell single blades - and each blade came in its own cardboard sleeve and was labeled, too. A great way to try a limited run of blades to see what works best for you.

I was very surprised at how the Feather felt, and performed - for me it was way better than its DE counterpart.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore