Blade longevity?

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
ShadowsDad

Re: Blade longevity?

Post by ShadowsDad »

Most of the time I get at least 20 shaves out of a GEM SE SS ptfe blade and 30 isn't at all uncommon. I don't push DE blades. The difference is that a SE blade will just stop cutting efficiently and won't bite. DE blades will draw blood. My skin is worth more than the blade.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

SE blades last a very very long time for me as well. I loose count after about 20.

DE blades get me about 4 or 5 shaves.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Wendell, the only way I can keep track is by making a tally mark on the blade wrapper. I don't always remember to make the mark. Heck, I can't remember what I ate yesterday for supper. :-)
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
anomaly1985

Post by anomaly1985 »

CMur12 wrote:
anomaly1985 wrote:I get 20 shaves for all my blades. Perhaps more.
That's a lot of shaves from a DE blade, anomaly1985. Do you do anything special to prolong blade life?

Do you do single-pass shaves? Do you have a light beard? Other factors?

- Murray
Please call me Timothy

I shave daily. Perhaps since I don't give my face enough time to accumulate alot of hair this method makes it seem like it prolongs the life of the blades. If I grow my beard 5 or 6 day stubble, then I'm sure the blades wouldn't last as long. Whenever I feel the blade tug on my hair or it's just not cutting then that's when I replace the blade. I also have fairly thin hair.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

anomaly1985 wrote:
CMur12 wrote:
anomaly1985 wrote:I get 20 shaves for all my blades. Perhaps more.
That's a lot of shaves from a DE blade, anomaly1985. Do you do anything special to prolong blade life?

Do you do single-pass shaves? Do you have a light beard? Other factors?

- Murray
Please call me Timothy

I shave daily. Perhaps since I don't give my face enough time to accumulate alot of hair this method makes it seem like it prolongs the life of the blades. If I grow my beard 5 or 6 day stubble, then I'm sure the blades wouldn't last as long. Whenever I feel the blade tug on my hair or it's just not cutting then that's when I replace the blade. I also have fairly thin hair.
Thanks for the explanation, Timothy!

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

jww wrote:SE blades last a very very long time for me as well. I loose count after about 20.

DE blades get me about 4 or 5 shaves.
This is me.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444