Important Ingredient in Shaving Soap

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
WetTheFace

Important Ingredient in Shaving Soap

Post by WetTheFace »

I have been mulling around and testing new formulas of shaving soap. I'm thinking of adding lanolin to one of my test batches and I'm wondering would this be an important ingredient if not what would be the one thing you look for in a shaving soap.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: Important Ingredient in Shaving Soap

Post by drmoss_ca »

I use lanolin in my home made soap, but you have to be careful to keep the percentage low, or it reduces latherability, and the soap makes a creamy lather with little air admixed.

The one ingredient to look for is either tallow (or stearate, as tallow is largely stearic acid). Nobody uses it, but lard does the same job.

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Modern Ancient

Post by Modern Ancient »

I am allergic, to lanolin.
brothers

Post by brothers »

WetTheFace wrote:I have been mulling around and testing new formulas of shaving soap. I'm thinking of adding lanolin to one of my test batches and I'm wondering would this be an important ingredient if not what would be the one thing you look for in a shaving soap.
For me, it seems that my soaps that contain tallow are dominant. That's what I look for.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444