Muhle R41 vs Merkur Futur

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Steve

Muhle R41 vs Merkur Futur

Post by Steve »

I have read that the Muhle R41 is very aggressive. Does anyone have an opinion as to whether it is more aggressive that the Merkur Futur set at its most aggressive setting? Which wold provide the closest shave?

Steve
Brutus

Re: Muhle R41 vs Merkur Futur

Post by Brutus »

I own both, but use primarily straights.

My Futur is more than 12 years old and I bought my R41 (2013 model) much later to take along on those trips where a straight razor is just not convenient. Recently I had brought the Futur out of semi-retirement to compare it against the Chinese Future clone that users discuss in several forums.

I find the talk about the R41’s aggressiveness greatly exaggerated and can get similarly close, comfortable shaves from R41 and Futur. To get comparable results, I keep the Futur at the second-highest setting (5).
At the highest setting (6) I did not notice any marked improvement, but it felt like the Futur was exfoliating the skin at this setting more than necessary.

Overall, I prefer the R41 by a small margin, which is helped by the fact that the R41 is a 3-piece razor that is lighter, smaller, and thus better suited for those trips with minimum baggage where I use safety razors.

Hope this answers your question....

B.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell
Steve

Post by Steve »

Hi Brutus, yes your reply is very helpful! I think I will try the R41. How do you like your Chinese Futur clone? I bought one and think it's excellent!

Steve
Brutus

Post by Brutus »

Steve wrote:Hi Brutus, yes your reply is very helpful! I think I will try the R41. How do you like your Chinese Futur clone? I bought one and think it's excellent!

Steve
The Chinese Futur clone is nice enough, but I still prefer the original.
The clone is significantly ligher (93 grams clone vs. 121 grams original Futur) than the original. Considering that the original is advertised as (mainly I suppose) made from brass and that Zamak has a 25% lower density than brass, I came to the conclusion that the clone is most likely made from Zamak.
That does not have to be bad news, but with Zamak quality control during casting is paramount and decides how long the razor will last, or whether it will prematurely succumb to zinc pest.

I also prefer the heavier weight of the original, as it was always the hallmark fo the Futur that due to its considerable weight only a gentle touch was needed to get a close and comfortable shave.

Besides that, the clone is not a bad razor on its own.

B.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell
brothers

Post by brothers »

Regarding the R41, the first design was a vicious slicing machine. They replaced it with a somewhat modified version in 2013, I believe. I traded my old R41 for the newer one, and found it to be almost as uncomfortable and bloody as the first. I've still got it, I think, but certainly won't be using it. I would say the R41 is probably more bloodthirsty than the Futur on the highest level.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Steve

Post by Steve »

I did buy the R41 and I love it! I do get closer shaves with it vs. the Futur or the Futur clone. I am on day 3 and have not cut myself yet. I don't find it to be the "beast" that it is reputed to be. I'm getting the best shaves of my life! It works great with an Astra blade!

Steve
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

For me the Futur gives the smoother shave, with less irritation than the R41(newer 2013 version).
The older R41 is a real shark of a razor and I rarely use it. It is scary if you're not careful and can take chunks off. :lol:
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."