Boots

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Boots

Post by Sam »

Never been much of a boot wearer. Picked up some Steve Madden brogue toe boots, side zip with laces, about 6", and they look good but standing up all day tailgating, my feet got tired.

So, without spending $400 or more, what are some decent boots to be nice to wear to say dinner, but with jeans or khakis tailgating, running errands on the weekend, maybe business casual. I am thinking Red Wing, or Wolverine or Chippewa. Read about Thursday Boot Company. I guess I would prefer a rubber or lug sole rather than leather because of weather, as I would wear these more from fall into early spring.

Think these are too dressy?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Meermin-Countr ... 1438.l2649

Dont know if these 8.5 UK would fit my 9D American feet or not
Kyle76

Re: Boots

Post by Kyle76 »

Tecovas look good at a good price. Hand made in Mexico. Haven’t actually tried them.
Jim
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I have a pair of Lucchese ropers in black cherry I wear them with jeans, chinos, grey flannels and blue blazer, tan trousers with a sports coat and even a suit. They have a low heel, like a shoe's, and are very comfortable even for extend periods.
Last edited by Rufus on Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bryan
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I'm not a western boot guy
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Memphis is a great place to rock a pair of nice cowboy boots. I’ve worn my Luccheses with my nicest suits.
Jim
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Sam wrote:I'm not a western boot guy
They are very similar to half-Wellingtons, which are worn with mess dress in the British and Canadian armies, especially iby the Hussars. To me my Lucchese ropers are most un-cowboy boot and I don't see them as being pure western. Take a look on the Lucchese website.
Last edited by Rufus on Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bryan
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Will do Bryan. Considering Red Wing Beckman or Iron Ranger. Or Allen Edmonds Higgins Mill or Long Branch. Saw some Meermin dark brown brogue boots I like. Sure do want comfort after my Steve Maddens hurt
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Bryan, love the Scout ropers but they are $795, a little steep for my first true boot. I have chukkas.

The Meermin I have linked, I don't know if they would be comfortable or not, given they are a tall boot. And would I tire of the brogue work.

I have pair of Sperry Topsider Chukkas, think of them as their boat shoe in an ankle boot. A lighter tannish color, more for the spring and summer. I have a pair of AE Sea Island lighter brown suede loafers, basically a summer shoe. I have a dark reddish brown pair of Sperry Topsiders. And I have a medium dark brown chukka I got at Bloomingdales, Hudson I think, with a clear sole.

I did get the Florsheim Chelsea boot to try out a Chelsea, a dark whiskey brown. and their pair up great with my slate blue and charcoal pants. And feel great.

So I need something to wear with jeans and chinos when I go to a football game or out on the weekend or evening. If I wear a sportscoat with jeans, I can wear the Florsheim or Hudsons.

I am kinda rethinking the tall boot. I have tried a pair on once, I am thinking it was five years ago, and well, I thought at that time they kinda were stiff and limiting. My son-in-law had a pair of Red Wing black boots, the tall ones, with brouge work, and he wears them with black jeans. Said he thought I might like some RW or Doc Martens, but reading up on DM, I am best to perhaps avoid that.

So, being the obsessive I am, trying to find the one boot/chukka to fill in what I need for fall and winter and early spring.

Saw these too, a chelsea but lighter color than the Meermins

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Allen-Edmonds- ... 1438.l2649
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I too like the Scout, but must agree that $795 (which is about Can$1,030) is a bit rich for your first venture. I can't remember which model I have although they do look like the Shane and Lawrence, which are considerably cheaper at $335 and $315, respectively, but mine were made in the USA of black cherry goat. I bought my Luccheses 20 years ago when I lived in Houston and they didn't cost me anything near those prices. I have a very difficult foot to fit, because of my high instep, but the Lucchese ropers were very comfortable from the moment I tried them on. The workmanship is impeccable and the soles are pegged. They'll last my lifetime provide I don't wear them without overshoes in the salty snow and slush we have here in winter.
Bryan
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

I have several different models of AE non-western dressier boots, from Chelseas to perforated cap toes. They aren’t cheap, but AEs offer many more size choices than most manufacturers. They’re worth a look if comfort is a prime consideration.
Jim
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I had a pair of Geox Chelsea boots, which I gave to my son because they put too much pressure on my high instep when I wore them for an extended period. My son loves them. I must say that when I see my son in them I get jealous.
Bryan
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Sam, proper fit is very important when buying shoes or boots. There is real value in buying shoes/boots at a brick and mortar shore that offers shoes in widths and can give you a professional assessment of fit (which is sadly lacking in many shoe stores today).

Most people don't know how to to assess a proper fit for themselves. People with narrow feet tend to fit themselves with medium-width shoes that are too short and people with wide feet tend to fit themselves with medium-width shoes that are too long. Even if you have wide feet and a wide width is offered, it still may not be the right width for you.

In my own case, I have narrow feet and, even when I can find shoes in "narrow," A or B width, they don't always fit the proportions of my feet. Sometimes, even within the same brand, different shoes are made on different lasts, and they fit feet differently. You may be blessed with a medium-width foot that has a more universal fit, but variations between models of footwear can still make a difference.

I will only order online once I have established that a specific shoe or boot fits my feet properly. Otherwise, your feet may tire from lack of adequate support or long-term harm can be done to your feet. (I'm the son of a physical therapist who was aware of the harm to feet and body that comes from poorly fitted shoes.)

- Murray
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

CMur12 wrote:Sam, proper fit is very important when buying shoes or boots. There is real value in buying shoes/boots at a brick and mortar shore that offers shoes in widths and can give you a professional assessment of fit (which is sadly lacking in many shoe stores today).

Most people don't know how to to assess a proper fit for themselves. People with narrow feet tend to fit themselves with medium-width shoes that are too short and people with wide feet tend to fit themselves with medium-width shoes that are too long. Even if you have wide feet and a wide width is offered, it still may not be the right width for you.

In my own case, I have narrow feet and, even when I can find shoes in "narrow," A or B width, they don't always fit the proportions of my feet. Sometimes, even within the same brand, different shoes are made on different lasts, and they fit feet differently. You may be blessed with a medium-width foot that has a more universal fit, but variations between models of footwear can still make a difference.

I will only order online once I have established that a specific shoe or boot fits my feet properly. Otherwise, your feet may tire from lack of adequate support or long-term harm can be done to your feet. (I'm the son of a physical therapist who was aware of the harm to feet and body that comes from poorly fitted shoes.)

- Murray

That's excellent advice, Murray. Whether it's shoes/boots, shirts, sweaters, sports coat/blazer, trousers or jeans. I like to try it on in a b & m store first and once I'm completely satisfied with the fit I might order further ones on-line.
Bryan
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Kyle76 wrote:Tecovas look good at a good price. Hand made in Mexico. Haven’t actually tried them.
I like the lizard in pecan. Typically cowboy boots have squished my toes. Also would prefer a rubber or Dainite/commando dole. But woukd consider them. Don't know that I like the design on the shaft? The calf skin called Earl seems nice

I have seen sime Chelsea chukka boots in snuff suede I like.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Sam, if chelsea's are on your radar: blundstone's are a must see

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Clive, I looked at some there. Saw these on Ebay, some Meermin snuff suede and if I win them, they will come in cheaper than going to Blundstone's site

Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Got outbid. ARGH
brothers

Post by brothers »

Sam, of the ones you've mentioned, I cast my vote for something from Red Wing.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

my pet peeve with red wing is the weight....they are so heavy! Comfy, but heavy...proof that you cant have everything :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Allen Edmonds is running a sale on their boots.

http://www.allenedmonds.com/sale-shoes/ ... Hero_Boots
Jim