Brush of the day

Top of the morning to ya! Post pics and descriptions of your daily shaving gear and accessories!
pausted

Re: Brush of the day

Post by pausted »

Razorock 506 Boar
Best regards,

Basil
brothers

Post by brothers »

Mesquite burl synthetic
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

Mesquite burl synthetic
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

Mesquite burl synthetic
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Mesquite burl synthetic
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Tomorrow will mark the day I change brushes for my daily shave. Up to today it's been the Mesquite burl synthetic brush. Beginning tomorrow I'm going to start using the well used Rooney Finest in Plexi. If you recall, this is the brush that suffered a catastrophic glue failure and was successfully re-set by Bernd at Shavemac about 4 years ago. It's a perfect brush, and I love using it.
Last edited by brothers on Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Rooney Finest
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

After so many months of using the Mesquite burl synthetic, then switching to the old faithful Rooney Finest this morning, I was aware of changes. First, Rooney requires more water. It took longer to load the brush to begin with, and it took about twice as long to build the necessary lather. Of course some of this is probably due to the change in soap. Oh, and one other thing - compared to the synthetic, the Rooney appears to be somewhat scritchy.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Rooney Finest
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

After two days of using the Rooney Finest with the Tabac, it has become apparent that the badger brush wants to hold the lather more than the synthetic brush holds it's lather. Since I only lather once during my daily shave, the more lather that is not released from the brush means there is less lather being released for the purpose of the shave. I know for some people, the large soft badger brushes are preferred and appreciated as a result of the badger's ability to hold onto the lather. I had not thought of this until the last couple of days. I suppose this is one of many reasons that the current generation of synthetic shaving brushes are selling so well, at the expense of badger and boar. Of course I cannot offer any verification of this statement, but that is my personal opinion. I could be wrong, just ask my wife. She's an expert on such minutiae. :)
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

TGN Finest Made Rite vintage brush
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

The Made Rite with the TGN Finest knot seems to be the soulmate of Tabac soap. I've used the Made Rite brush hundreds of times over the past 8 or 9 years since I reknotted it, and now there's no scritch and many of the badger hairs are curled at the tips.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

TGN Finest Made Rite
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

TGN Finest Made Rite
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

TGN Finest Made Rite
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

TGN Finest Made Rite
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

TGN Finest Made Rite
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

TGN Finest Made Rite
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

TGN Finest Made Rite
Gary

pausted

Post by pausted »

Razorock 506UK boar
Best regards,

Basil