Single edge razors

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
brothers

Re: Single edge razors

Post by brothers »

General is my best razor and it's an SE. I never would have foreseen that until the General came out last year. I'm waiting for the stainless with a knurled handle to be released.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Vincev

Post by Vincev »

Thanks guys
I will give it a few more shave and if not happy go back to my 34C and wait until Colonial starts selling the General Black
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Vince, the angle for the GEM SE razors is very different from that for DE razors. You almost place the top of the razor flat against the skin.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

Vince, have they given any indication as to when the black General will be available?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Vincev

Post by Vincev »

Hi Guys,
It is Labor Day and I am sitting in my back yard smoking a great cigar,sipping a good bourbon and enjoying the new Suculant garden I planted over the weekend.

I had a few more shaves with both razors and I am happy to say I am now getting an irritation free shave with both razors ( I seem to prefer the G bar). However to get that irritation free shave I pretty much ride the flat top cap but I do not like the drag of the top cap on my face. This week I will try to slightly increase the angle to keep the top cap off my face hopping I will be able to maintain the angle.

Thanks for all the advice,

Vince
Vincev

Post by Vincev »

Gary,
The release date for the new General Black is late September early October.

Vince
brothers

Post by brothers »

Hopefully the Stainless version will be released soon also.
Gary

Modern Ancient

Post by Modern Ancient »

A lot, of chaps, seem to enjoy the Blue Star GEM razor blades.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

As I recall, the GEM Blue Star are carbon steel blades (which I favor, myself). These should be similar to, if not the same as, the Treet SE blades which are also carbon steel. GEM and Treet are brands owned by American Safety Razor (or whatever the company is called now).

- Murray
jar

Post by jar »

Yesterday and today I used one of my Valet Autostrops with a Feather blade. The shave was pretty ho-hum, not much to report. Did a two pass with touch up and as expected the end product was PDG.

Here is the one I used today.

When I first found it it still had the little paper directions where a blade should go.

Here is my older one with a blade inserted and it is up for tomorrow.

ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Vince your proposed new angle is the one I prefer. If one looks at my razors they can be seen to be clean where the head rubs my skin, maybe 1/4" away from the blade. Beyond that there is soap scum buildup.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Vincev

Re: Single edge razors Colonial aluminum Black

Post by Vincev »

Let's start by saying most of my irritation problems have been solved, however; my chin is still a sensitive issue. Many times I only do two passes on my chin and no irritation problem.

I received my Colonial two weeks ago before I went on vacation and started using it last week and have had six shaves with it. And I am very pleased with the results.

Although I nicked myself a few times (I believe because I am not use to the longer blade) I found it to be a mild razor. Using the Kai Pink blade I received some of the smoothest, closes three pass shaves I have had since I started DE shaving about eight months ago.

I have read where some people have received 10 shaves on the same blade, I do not expect the same results. My sixth shave was a bit rough and I will see what happens on my seventh shave. As for the light weight of the razor I liked it.

My one criticism is when you loosen the head it becomes exstreamly loose. After I shave I loosen the head for cleaning but you cannot loosen the head just a little. Just loosen the head a quarter turn and the water from the faucet starters spinning the head, I do not have this problem with any other razor I own. This make me question the quality of the treads and how long they will last.

Overall I was very pleased with the razor and can see it becoming one of my go to razors.

Vince
jar

Re: Single edge razors Colonial aluminum Black

Post by jar »

Vincev wrote:My one criticism is when you loosen the head it becomes exstreamly loose. After I shave I loosen the head for cleaning but you cannot loosen the head just a little. Just loosen the head a quarter turn and the water from the faucet starters spinning the head, I do not have this problem with any other razor I own. This make me question the quality of the treads and how long they will last.

Overall I was very pleased with the razor and can see it becoming one of my go to razors.

Vince
When I loosen the head to flush I hold it under the water by the end of the head and not the handle. That seems to have solved the problem.