Blooming Boars

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
jar

Blooming Boars

Post by jar »

Just as with Badger or Horse Hair brushes, the knot shape, the design, the bristles themselves and how the brush is treated will determine whether it blooms or not. Generally thicker bristles or straight shape knots will bloom less than fan or bulb shape knots. All Boar knots soften with use as the ends split.

So on to pictures.

Old & New; the two on the left are fairly new knots while the two on the right are over a half century old.

The far left is a replacement knot from TGN and most likely made by Zenith.

These are all likely at least a half century old knots.

Note that the fan shapes show more bloom than the straights.

All new and still in break in phase.

From Left:Omega, Zenith, Jayaruh with Omega Knot, Jayaruh with TGN (likely Zenith) knot.
Last edited by jar on Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brothers

Re: Blooming Boares

Post by brothers »

You already know this, but you have a lot of nice brushes. Thanks for posting these pictures. :)
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Re: Blooming Boars

Post by CMur12 »

Those are a lot of brushes to break in!

I control the bloom of my favorite boar, a Semogue 1305, by putting a thick rubber band (sourced from the produce section of a grocery store) around the loft as it dries. I live in a dry climate, so the bristle still dries overnight.

- Murray