For Marmite lovers only

Share recipes and tips, or memorable restaurant experiences here.
Rufus

For Marmite lovers only

Post by Rufus »

Ingredients
- 350 gm dried spaghetti
- 50 gm unsalted butter
- 1 tsp Marmite

Method
- Cook spaghetti
- Melt butter in a small saucepan and add the Marmite and 1 tablespoon of pasta water. Mix thoroughly.
- Pour over drained spaghetti
- Sprinkle with freshly grated Parmesan

It’s quite delicious...if you like Marmite. :mrgreen:
Bryan
ShadowsDad

Re: For Marmite lovers only

Post by ShadowsDad »

I'll need to try that!
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Mmmmm...Marmite! Very few people understand that ambrosia is sticky and brown.

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

drmoss_ca wrote:Mmmmm...Marmite! Very few people understand that ambrosia is sticky and brown.

C.
=D> \:D/ O:)
Bryan
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

toast, marmite, cottage cheese.....lifes giant luxuries!

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

fallingwickets wrote:toast, marmite, cottage cheese.....lifes giant luxuries!

clive
\:D/
Clive, I didn’t know that you are a Marmiteiste. =D>
Bryan
brothers

Post by brothers »

How does it correspond with Pinaud Lilac Vegetal in terms of funky?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

:D 8) :D 8)
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

Toast with salted butter and Marmite, cut in to 'soldiers' with soft boiled eggs.

I didn't think Marmite and egg would go, but it's now one of my favourites.

Gareth
aih

Post by aih »

Years ago when I heard or learned about Marmite I looked for it locally (here in Florida, USA) and couldn't find it. I had since forgotten about it until seeing this thread. But now, in the Internet age, I just checked and found it can be ordered on Amazon. Hmmmmm. I will have to give it a try next time I make an order. It intrigued me then and intrigues me now.
- Ira
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

aih wrote:Years ago when I heard or learned about Marmite I looked for it locally (here in Florida, USA) and couldn't find it. I had since forgotten about it until seeing this thread. But now, in the Internet age, I just checked and found it can be ordered on Amazon. Hmmmmm. I will have to give it a try next time I make an order. It intrigued me then and intrigues me now.
It's an interesting product. Just use it very sparingly. If you think you're using it sparingly enough reduce the amount by half.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

ShadowsDad wrote:
aih wrote:Years ago when I heard or learned about Marmite I looked for it locally (here in Florida, USA) and couldn't find it. I had since forgotten about it until seeing this thread. But now, in the Internet age, I just checked and found it can be ordered on Amazon. Hmmmmm. I will have to give it a try next time I make an order. It intrigued me then and intrigues me now.
It's an interesting product. Just use it very sparingly. If you think you're using it sparingly enough reduce the amount by half.
Very good advice, and I'll add my sympathy, as well, in advance. :P

- Murray
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

It’s an acquired taste; you either love it or you hate it. As you may have discerned, I love it, as does my wife. Some people, including many of our friends in the UK, think we’ve lost our marbles, or at least our tastebuds, when we tell them we really like Marmite. Quite often I’ll just have Marmite on toast, usually pumpernickel, for breakfast or a poached egg on pumpernickel toast slathered with Marmite...better stop, I’m making myself hungry. I must add though that I have never warmed to Marmite flavoured crisps/chips or Marmite flavoured chocolate; both combinations just adulterate the Marmite. :mrgreen:
Bryan
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

but it's now one of my favourites.
off topic, but nice to see you out and about gareth! :D

clive
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I believe Marmite is less strongly flavoured than it used to be, a change that occurred when the recipe was changed to make it less sticky and more easily spread. I suppose that could be my taste buds aging too.

And talking of Marmite-flavoured nibbles, do try to buy Twiglets. They probably have made all sorts of other versions by now (why ever did that have to become a thing? I know what a KitKat or an Aero ought to taste like, and I don't want to find I have bought a pumpkin spice KitKat by mistake!) but the original Twiglet was a crunchy baked nibble of marmite-y goodness. The best of all accompaniments to a gin and tonic.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Chris, I’d forgotten about Twiglets. As for changing the intensity of the flavour, I bought a squeeze bottle of Marmite a couple of years ago and its taste was definitely not as robust as that in the glass bottle. As concerns the regular Marmite, it is easier to spread, but I haven’t noticed a difference in the intensity of the taste; perhaps that’s because I can now spread more on my toast without physically destroying it. Good stuff whatever the case.
Bryan
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

fallingwickets wrote:
but it's now one of my favourites.
off topic, but nice to see you out and about gareth! :D

clive
Thanks Clive- good to be back amongst friends again.

Gareth
aih

Post by aih »

Noted, Use Sparingly! I won't buy the Big Squeeze container first time out. But I do like trying new foods at least once. This has been in the back of my mind for years. Thanks to this forum and this thread for bringing the memory forward.

I remembered how I learned about it. First was hearing these lyrics a few times on the radio way back in the day...

Buying bread from a man in Brussels
He was six-foot-four and full of muscles
I said, "do you speak-a my language?"
He just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich
And he said

I had to figure out that word...What?.....What kind of sandwich?...Vegemite? From there I researched and learned of Marmite, etc. Been on my food do list in my mind for a few decades now.

Stand by. I'll report back eventually.
- Ira
brothers

Post by brothers »

I've added it to my list. The only other food item on the list so far is that Pork Roll everybody was so complimentary about.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

Chris, I had forgotten all about Marmite flavoured Twiglets. They seem to have fallen out of favour as a snack here, and I only seem to come across them now at Christmas-time. As you said, they’re a perfect accompaniment to a G&T.

Other ‘acquired tastes’ worth sampling are Vegemite and Gentleman’s Relish. The latter is something truly special and is just wonderful when spread sparingly on hot buttered toast.

Gareth