For curiosity; Wilk sticky

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

For curiosity; Wilk sticky

Post by fallingwickets »

many years ago, a member here bought a 'sticky' and I remember it being a rather big deal. If i remember correctly, everything about it was a big deal: the find, the price, and the vicarious joy felt across smf. Anyway, I saw one for sale the other day and ergo the curiosity. the price is less now than it was way back when. I would have imagined from all the excitement back in the day that the razor would be worth a 'small' fortune by now. Did something unforeseen happen in the razor market?

thanks

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
CMur12

Re: For curiosity; Wilk sticky

Post by CMur12 »

Hi Clive -

I remember that, too. As I recall, Richard/rustyblade had three Stickies at one time.

I think the increasing availability of new razors, from the modestly priced to the extravagantly expensive, sunk the once-flourishing used razor market. There used to be a good demand for old Gillettes and Schicks in user condition, while now market interest appears to be almost exclusively for vintage razors in near-mint condition, in the original case, for collectors.

- Murray
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

market interest appears to be almost exclusively vintage razors in near-mint condition, in the original case, for collectors.
Hi Murray

This is what Im asking about. If a mint condition sticky hasnt moved in price (actually gone down a little), either the enthusiasm back in the day was not warranted, or the market today is uber soft.

In any event, im still holding on to a blade stash that maybe one day will finance my retirement....this market better stiffen up :D :D

thanks

clive
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hi Clive -

I think the market for vintage razors is soft, in general. The choice used to be between Merkur and vintage razors. Now there are so many new razors on the market - and they often outperform the classics - that demand for vintage razors has largely tanked.

- Murray
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Thanks Murray. The sticky is my only real source of a benchmark, but its interesting that it signals the state of the market. on the plus side, if memory serves, rustyblade sold his sticky stash (some/all??),,,,hopefully he got out whole :)

clive
BPman

Post by BPman »

CMur12 wrote:Hi Clive -

I think the market for vintage razors is soft, in general. The choice used to be between Merkur and vintage razors. Now there are so many new razors on the market - and they often outperform the classics - that demand for vintage razors has largely tanked.

- Murray
I do agree that nowadays the "shiny ball" is one of the new boutique razors that cost big $$, however as for outperforming the classics I am doubtful. A face cannot discern differences in the metal used in a razor and a razor is merely a blade holder for that matter. Most of the positive opinions of these new "artiste" razors have more to do with quality of build and pure aesthetics and there is nothing wrong with that. However, I think there is more confirmation bias at play than any marked improvement in quality of shave.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

BPman wrote:
CMur12 wrote:Hi Clive -

- Murray
I do agree that nowadays the "shiny ball" is one of the new boutique razors that cost big $$, however as for outperforming the classics I am doubtful. A face cannot discern differences in the metal used in a razor and a razor is merely a blade holder for that matter. Most of the positive opinions of these new "artiste" razors have more to do with quality of build and pure aesthetics and there is nothing wrong with that. However, I think there is more confirmation bias at play than any marked improvement in quality of shave.
How the razor positions the blade is critical, and I think improvements have been made. I think an Edwin Jagger is more effective than most old Gillettes, and my Mergress (not as new as the EJ) certainly is. Gillette's design of adjustables was inherently flawed by the fact that they couldn't raise the entire blade relative to the safety bars, changing the angle instead. I think the old Gillettes were pretty good, but not excellent. The Schick Krona was very good, however.

- Murray
BPman

Post by BPman »

CMur12 wrote:How the razor positions the blade is critical, and I think improvements have been made. I think an Edwin Jagger is more effective than most old Gillettes, and my Mergress (not as new as the EJ) certainly is. Gillette's design of adjustables was inherently flawed by the fact that they couldn't raise the entire blade relative to the safety bars, changing the angle instead. I think the old Gillettes were pretty good, but not excellent. The Schick Krona was very good, however.

- Murray

I have tried several version of the EJ design and for me it never worked worth a damn. I can get a better shave any day and every day with a Gillette Tech. IMO, EJ has shown zero innovation and merely copied a design. Gillette & other engineers of days gone past were not Neanderthals doing R&D in a cave. They understood angles/degrees which their razors reflected. The only edges (no pun intended) today's engineers have is in using CAD and better metallurgy, however interestingly the vast majority have resorted to Zamak in order to cut corners.

A better suggestion would be that we are merely discussing "knife handles" and not the blades. The real advances have been in blade technology and not razors just as there are steels today that Jim Bowie couldn't possibly have imagined. The greatest advance in modern shaving post 1903 has been the science of blade coating and sputtering. Wlithout that we'd still be using old bare carbon steel blades.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

BPman, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I still stand by my previous statement and I disagree with much of yours.

As far as blades are concerned, I don't think anything made today compares to the Personna 74.

As for carbon steel blades, Treet Dura Sharp blades (PTFE-coated carbon steel) are among my favorites. I prefer carbon steel for knives, as well.

- Murray
BPman

Post by BPman »

CMur12 wrote:...As for carbon steel blades, Treet Dura Sharp blades (PTFE-coated carbon steel) are among my favorites. I prefer carbon steel for knives, as well.

- Murray
PTFE on baldes is new technology (post WWII) as was the Personna 74. That was what I was describing. I have used many Personna 74 blades and to me they were very good, but I think many blades today as just as good and some better. Technology goes forward.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

I prefer carbon steel for knives, as well.
:-$ :-$

that's top secret stuff!

Buying a carbon steel knife is like buying personna med prep's: so good you wonder why and how you'll use the closet full of the other blades you own :D
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

fallingwickets wrote:
I prefer carbon steel for knives, as well.
:-$ :-$

that's top secret stuff!

Buying a carbon steel knife is like buying personna med prep's: so good you wonder why and how you'll use the closet full of the other blades you own :D
Ain't that the truth!

- Murray
blantyre

Post by blantyre »

One of my first razors was a sticky - growing up in London in the 1970s. There were several in the bathroom at home. They got lost. I owned one a few years ago and enjoyed it. It was however an extremely mild razor IMO - not all that satisfying shaver compared to many others out there. A great (award winning if I recall correctly) design and use of materials, it moved the TTO from the rather tinny version mass made by the competition into a true high quality product. Still since the shave quality doesn't measure up I can imaging that the price of all but the most exceptional examples with cases and papers might have fallen. A case of a rising tide not lifting all ships. Some Gillettes (fatboys for example) have become absurdly overpriced. The far better Schick Krona can still be had for not much more than $10. There is little reason to it!
Rick
brothers

Post by brothers »

Regrettably I have never had the pleasure of using a Wilk Sticky. Even worse, I'm pretty well done with the search for anything better. Luckily I seem to have found the one I most enjoy using.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Cigar Dan

Post by Cigar Dan »

My NOS Sticky still has a prominent place in my display case. It’s not going anywhere.
Danny
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Danny, it's good to see you again!

- Murray
Cigar Dan

Post by Cigar Dan »

Thanks Murray. I’ve been away for far too long.
Danny
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

I'll tell you something crazy... I just happened to check eBay, and found that brand new Gillette Sensor, Trac II, and metal Atra razors were going for $50-$150. I think most of these are going to end up being used and not collected. I was most surprised at the Trac II prices, since good compatible razors are easy to find at very moderate prices. Enough men apparently want to stick with the exact same razor when theirs breaks.

On the other hand, maybe a fair number of these will go into collections after all.

New Schick Type O injector razors (the last Schick injector) are now going for about $375. On the other hand, a new unpackaged Schick adjustable injector just sold for under $30 with 8 bids.
Gene

Post by Gene »

I can't say I am surprised about that Type O injector. As I recall it wasn't marketed here in the US very much. I saw them online years ago when E-Commerce was just getting started - you could buy one for about $4.00 with a two-pack of blades. But I don't think I ever saw one in the stores. Rare as hen's teeth, don't you know.

I remember this clearly - because I bought one! As I recall it was 2008, and right before I found SMF. But I did't like it, and sold it about 6 months later here on the BST.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

For a while in the 2000's you could by a Schick O online from the company that owned Schick at the time. It came in a plastic bag, not the usual packaging, and it was something like $4. Then I suppose they ran out of them. I bought one or two, and resold them on eBay for quite a bit less than $375. I didn't realize that certain razors would appreciate 10x in not much more than 10 years.