Truefitt & Hill Rose/Lavender Shaving Creams

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Gareth
Taylorman

Truefitt & Hill Rose/Lavender Shaving Creams

Post by Gareth »

Could anyone confirm my suspicions either way that T&H have discontinued production of the Rose and Lavender shaving creams? I can't see mention of them on the website and third party retailer seem to also be out of stock.

Gareth
mrjediconsular

Re: Truefitt & Hill Rose/Lavender Shaving Creams

Post by mrjediconsular »

hey Gareth i see them on the US amazon in not sure on UK amazon
Jordan
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

Hi Jordan, they don’t seem to be on Amazon UK. I wonder if T&H is discontinuing but their US operation still has stock to sell through?

Gareth
mrjediconsular

Post by mrjediconsular »

its possible
Jordan
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

It seems to be possible to still find the Rose tubes, but no tubs and no Lavender at all. That suggests stock sell-through to me.

I wonder what happened...but I do suppose with those two scents in particular, it’s probably quite a crowded market amongst the traditional English firms.

Gareth
brothers

Post by brothers »

It seems to be in stock at this internet vendor (at the moment anyway). I was successful in placing them in the cart before I deleted them and closed it out.
https://www.bibandtucker.com/checkout/cart/
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

Gary, yes USA seems OK still. UK is a different story it seems.

Gareth
DGB452

Post by DGB452 »

They have been discontinued, the Lavender hasn't been in stock for a while now, bought one of the last tubes left from T&H's shop almost a couple of years ago now.

They are moving towards cologne scented shaving creams solely (Almond being the exception).
brothers

Post by brothers »

1805 would be my choice.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

DGB452 wrote:They have been discontinued, the Lavender hasn't been in stock for a while now, bought one of the last tubes left from T&H's shop almost a couple of years ago now.

They are moving towards cologne scented shaving creams solely (Almond being the exception).
Thanks for this information. It seems a shame for a traditional English firm to move away from the traditional English scents, but I guess T&H are looking to differentiate from their Mayfair competitors.

Gareth
DGB452

Post by DGB452 »

I'm speculating here, but I feel that with D.R. Harris re-introducing their Rose scented cream has made them change direction, a saturated market as you say (with them also offering a Lavender). The Lavender and Rose scents despite forum perception weren't best sellers either for them.

At the time I purchased the Lavender tube, a new scent was mentioned which they said would be released soon, since then they have launched the Aspley shaving cream, with perhaps a second to come (to replace the Rose)?

It is disappointing, their Lavender cream was/is my go to shaving cream, and the best imo across the whole range offered by the 3T's and D.R. Harris for a combination of scent and performance.
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

DGB452, I’ve no doubt at all that it comes down to sales and sales alone. After all it’s pretty much the only sensible reason to decide to discontinue a product. These typical English classics may be popular amongst shavers like ourselves, but the wider public? Probably not so much. Most toiletry products these days are cologne scented, so it’s of little surprise that from a commercial perspective, T&H has focused in that direction.

A shame, still, that current demand has driven the market this way though...

Gareth