Tulip etc

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Tulip etc

Post by fallingwickets »

While lathering up yesterday morning, it suddenly dawned on me that Ive been using the exact same brush for 5 years. A tulip 3 in super. Ive always been a fan of fidelity, but I honestly didnt think the brush would last as long as it has or that I wouldnt have looked for an alternative by now. Every once in a while I'll use a cream, and when I do I use a specially made shavemac/polo 8 in best.

Anyway, long story short, a tip of the hat to the tulip 3

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Re: Tulip etc

Post by M6Classic »

I've used the same brush every day for a couple of decades. When it works (and is exceptionally well made) it works!

Buzz
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

I've used the same brush every day for a couple of decades
Buzz, you're brush fidelity's gold standard we all aspire too! :D

clive
Antique Hoosier

Post by Antique Hoosier »

Wow! I vaguely recall you beginning that Tulip journey Clive. Impressive! I have binged with singular brushes over the past 10 years but none for that long. I recall buying Richard's (rusty blade) shedder Tulip years ago.... late 2007 I believe. It shed horribly and I knew that when I bought it for $70 I recall. I used it quite a bit and sold it with the same shedding disclaimer later...It honestly was still great brush. Would it have made it 5 years???????????? Nah...LOL
Mike
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

I vaguely recall you beginning that Tulip journey
I feel sorry for the person that's charged with administering my estate ...brush rich cash poor HAHAHAHA

clive
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

Tulip... the one brush I've always lusted for, but never purchased..... Well.. besides all the other brushes I've lusted for and never purchased.... Jeez... gimme a break!

Tulip, Polo and one of them French jobbies..... Gad.... sometimes life just seems too short.

Regards

Kaptain "My current brush is a cheap Chinese badger knot in a US cheap handle.... and it's GREAT" Zero
Previously lost, on the way to the pasture. Now pasteurized.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Clive I wouldn't be surprised if it lasted another five, or even ten.
Regards,
Squire
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I think my favourite brushes of all time were some large Somerset-era Simpsons - Tulip, Polo, Chubby. But I find myself using a cheapo Omega boar brush with a beechwood handle most days. It does the job and I don't have to be careful with it. Silly, really. I ought to use the luxury ones.

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

No doubt the Simpson's of that era were/are highly prized by those who have them. That's one brand I've never owned.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I had them, used and liked them yet believe I've sold or otherwise disposed of all my Simpsons. Probably still have one or two but lack the motivation to dig through boxed up stuff. My daily drivers, EJ Georgian and Kent BK4, will outlast me.
Regards,
Squire
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

drmoss_ca wrote:. . . I find myself using a cheapo Omega boar brush with a beechwood handle most days. It does the job and I don't have to be careful with it. . .
Dr. Chris, have you used up many of those dozen or so boxes of the Omega (10005?) you posted about long ago? There's something to be said for having backups. :)
Ron
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I've given all but two of them away to assist some beginners, or perhaps it would be more honest to say I was entrapping them. The first one's always free, kids.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

Clive, interesting topic, and in fact I’m in very nearly the same position as you regarding brushes. My only brush for at least four years has been a Tulip 2 (it’s actually for sale st the moment), so almost the same as your T3. The Tulip line is just so good that I’ve had no real need to look at anything else. I find my T2 to work perfectly with either soap or cream and it has a simple, classic handle which is easy to use. The knot is very luxurious but not in anyway ‘floppy’ so it has enough back-bone to get the job done.

Even if I was to get back in to buying Simpson brushes again (Simpson is pretty much all I’ve ever bought except for a couple of Rooney’s when you could get them) then I would always keep a Tulip in the collection.

Gareth
aih

Post by aih »

I think even an inexpensive but decent quality brush can last decades. I know my dad used the same drugstore boar brush all along. My memory--I can still picture it in my mind--is that it was an Ever Ready. I would bet when he bought it he paid around $2 or $3 for it.
- Ira
jar

Post by jar »

Some of my brushes are ones over a half century old now. Taken care of a brush will last a long, long time.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Excellent points regarding longevity as related to quality of manufacture and long term care. I'm sure the same applies to our original razors. All of the changing and comparing is totally unnecessary if we are honest and objective.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

perfect time to resurrect this thread, thank you gents:

I had the good fortune to be able to buy a house in myrtle beach (of course the week i arrived has been the coldest in the towns history?, but it's me, so no wonder there :D :D ) and i brought some unused shaving gear so that i didnt have to schlep razors soaps, creams and brushes back and forth. When i unpacked the brush, my heart skipped a beat: i had forgotten just how magnificent and glorious the tulip is, fresh out the box

https://s13.postimg.org/w9qwr9knr/IMG_2 ... 050920.jpg

Im heading back home tonight but already looking forward to coming back in a few weeks time when hopefully the sun is back to working its warming magic!

Happy New Year to all

clive
aih

Post by aih »

fallingwickets wrote:perfect time to resurrect this thread, thank you gents:

I had the good fortune to be able to buy a house in myrtle beach (of course the week i arrived has been the coldest in the towns history?, but it's me, so no wonder there :D :D ) and i brought some unused shaving gear so that i didnt have to schlep razors soaps, creams and brushes back and forth. When i unpacked the brush, my heart skipped a beat: i had forgotten just how magnificent and glorious the tulip is, fresh out the box

https://s13.postimg.org/w9qwr9knr/IMG_2 ... 050920.jpg

Im heading back home tonight but already looking forward to coming back in a few weeks time when hopefully the sun is back to working its warming magic!

Happy New Year to all

clive
That's a pretty brush.
- Ira
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Clive, where in Myrtle Beach? The wife and I have a place in Calabash just over the boarder in North Carolina, we do 6-10 getaways a year down there. You are going to love it. If you need some restaurant to go to just ask..

Almost forgot, do you play golf?
Regards,
Marty
---------------------------------------------------

"Be still! Me mind is a raging torrent flooded with rivulets of thought cascading in a waterfall of creative alternatives."
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

LOL...probably closer to each other in the carolinas than here in joisey!

I'm just (2 mins) outside of market commons, and I must be the only person in myrtle beach that doesnt play golf :D , however i intend to hire a coach and take lessons.

Im going down at the end of february for about a week to coordinate furniture deliveries....if you are down there, drop a note and we can meet for a beer or similar.

clive

p.s. if anyone from the dc police dept is reading this: a giant FU to your telegraphic speed traps :mrgreen: :mrgreen: