General by Colonial - one year already and not looking back

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Gene

Re: General by Colonial - one year already and not looking b

Post by Gene »

I liked them on Facebook, and saw a posting that they were back in stock.

You could just stalk them from time to time, too, I guess - or visit their website every so often?
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Thanks Gene. If the colonial people are watching this thread: drop a note when you have razors in stock...stalking is so 20th century :D :D :D :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

Clive, I am signed up for their email notifications. They don't email often, but when they do, it's to announce an upcoming product release.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Gary, a HUGE favour....when they say anything of interest, could you let us know please?

thanks
brothers

Post by brothers »

Yes sir, I will try very hard to remember to do that.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

thanks gary
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: General by Colonial - one year already and not looking back

Post by drmoss_ca »

I'm finding the Feather Pro blades last a very long time - my current one has been in the razor for a couple of months (!) and it has been used about half that time, as I have to use my straights too. Just for fun today, I took out the blade, placed it in an Artists Club and stropped it on linen and then on leather before putting it back in the General and shaving. I was careful to replace it same side up as before, as I have found that flipping blades results in rough shaves in other razors and I avoid doing it. Very smooth, possibly better than before the stropping. I might see if I can fit the blade in my old Kriss Kross stropper (it might be too long for it to flip over, but I think it might work). One of these:

"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Well I just found it and tried it. You have to be careful to align the blade and to place it so it protrudes the same amount from the jaws on each side. It will not lift up enough to flip over if the control lever is set to the hardest pressure, but from about halfway between the firmest stropping and the lightest it does lift up enough to flip over just like a DE blade. (If you don't know, the Kriss Kross starts out with firm pressure and this gets progressively lighter with each turn, but it's easy to just push the lever down halfway).

I'll have to shave with it tomorrow and see if it tears up my face, or whether it will prolong the life of the blade even more.

C.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Definitely not an improvement. New blade inserted!

C.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

fallingwickets wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:10 am Gary, a HUGE favour....when they say anything of interest, could you let us know please?

thanks
Received an email today from Colonial. The stainless General is back in stock. $99 plus shipping. Those who hesitate are out of luck!
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Annual update. Nothing's changed much except that I am no longer using the Feather or Kai Captain Mild blades. Got rid of the ones I had and have currently settled on the Schick Proline 30 blades and the Kai Captain Original blades. In addition to the aluminum General I have acquired a brass General through a trade. Of course the brass razor is the heavier of the two. I'm doubly blessed by having these two razors. I admit being surprised by the comfort and the quality of the shave every time I use a General.
Gary