Taylor Old Bond Street Avocado Cream gone hard.

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
sdm197

Taylor Old Bond Street Avocado Cream gone hard.

Post by sdm197 »

Hi Everyone I'm new here, I first showed interest in DE shaving in 2007 bought a few DE Razors too many really, plus loads of lotions, potions and wizardry! Then after much deliberation went back to cartridge razors for speed. Re-ignited my interest in 2014, bought more razors!

Then went back to cartridge until now recently buying you guessed it another razor the Feather AS-D2. I went to use an old tub of Taylor of Bond Street Avocado shave cream and it had gone hard. I don't know how old it is but may be from 2007/8! Is there anyway to save it?
Nitrox
AC/DC

Re: Taylor Old Bond Street Avocado Cream gone hard.

Post by Nitrox »

I would just use it like a shave soap. It should still lather okay, not 100% like a newer cream though.
When I find creams that have dried up too much, I use them as bath soaps.
Works great and gives you a reason to get another tub of that cream. :lol:
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
brothers

Post by brothers »

Welcome to SMF! You should be able to rehydrate it if you add several teaspoons of water on top of the dry cream and replace the lid and set it aside for a few days. If that doesn't work to your satisfaction, the advice given above by Bruno almost always works. Use it as a soap by loading the brush on the soap-cream.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

A few years back I even dried out some creams in a film drier just to turn them into soaps (I see the photos have gone as Vince nuked the gallery). Just curiosity, and they still worked fine.

Back from the dead:

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
sdm197

Post by sdm197 »

Hi Guys,

thanks for all your replies, I have been using it as a soap and it is working ok, thanks for the tips!

sdm197
brothers

Post by brothers »

Recently someone gave me a box of some shaving stuff they hadn't used in a while. Among the usable articles is a tub of Coates Sandalwood that has been dehydrating for at least 10 years. It still smells good, and I'm sure it'll make a good lather if I load the brush directly on the dry cream.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

doesnt this make for a good example of tubs superiority over tubes? :D :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

fallingwickets wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:59 am doesnt this make for a good example of tubs superiority over tubes? :D :D

clive
I agree.
Gary

pausted

Post by pausted »

Recently a friend gave me the remnants of a tube of Old Spice cream, probably about an eighth of a tube. After reading this thread, I squeezed the cream into an empty Trumpers tub and let it dry uncovered for a week. Today I used it, loading it as I would a soap. I got a great shave and the scent is still strong and very pleasant. It lathered fine. This is a good way to use creams that have hardened over time.
Best regards,

Basil