Muhle failure

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
sargan

Muhle failure

Post by sargan »

I bought a "Muhle Grande Closed Comb Safety Razor - LARGE" and it was a good match of size & weight - fits my hand.
and surprised that after only 2 yrs it has failed .... the handle will not tighten up against the head ... either thread in handle has failed or the male thread on the head.

This has been used for about 4 days per week on average ( I don't take it with me on weekly business travel)

I honestly thought this was an item that would last many years, welcome your comments - is this typical.

AS I have to buy another .... anyone care to recommend a 'large' DE razor.
jar

Re: Muhle failure

Post by jar »

Do you have a metric tap & die set? IIRC an M5 x 0.8mm should fix that right up.
brothers

Post by brothers »

jar wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:32 am Do you have a metric tap & die set? IIRC an M5 x 0.8mm should fix that right up.
I agree, unless the threads are completely destroyed.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
sargan

Post by sargan »

Don’t think that would work . It is not tightening ... I.e male thread jumping out of female thread ... so one or other of thread is worn.
Recutting would not assist.
sargan

Post by sargan »

To confirm the male threads had dissapeared, therefore mtal had gone ... recutting them would be pointless as insufficient meatl there.
so whether this is a case of the chrome finish coming off and the base metal dissolving .. unsure.
Chrome on rest of the head was fine.

Anyway sent it back to Muhle .... no argumnet they sent me a new one the next day.
So 10 ot of 10 for customer service.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Always remember to be gentle when tightening threads, especially if brass or aluminium, as this is what will happen sooner or later.

Glad they sent you a new one so quickly!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
sargan

Post by sargan »

This was not a case of stripped threads due to over tightening .. the whole thread form was ‘dissolved’. And no longer any chrome plating.