SilkSmoke synthetic brush

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
brothers

SilkSmoke synthetic brush

Post by brothers »

Yesterday I received this beautiful new SilkSmoke synthetic brush head. It was purchased from Andrew at AP Shaving Co.

Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Gene

Re: SilkSmoke synthetic brush

Post by Gene »

Gary - that is really pretty.

What are the dimensions? Was it expensive?
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
brothers

Post by brothers »

It cost approximately $12 plus shipping. The dimensions are 28 mm by approximately 61 mm. I have a new handle enroute and I'm looking forward to matching them up and finding out how well that brush performs.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hi Gary -

I like that the manufacturer didn't feel obliged to add a sketch to the loft, which would make it look like something that it isn't.

I'll be interested to read your impressions. Is it offered in a 24mm knot, as well?

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

CMur12 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:38 pm Hi Gary -

I like that the manufacturer didn't feel obliged to add a sketch to the loft, which would make it look like something that it isn't.

I'll be interested to read your impressions. Is it offered in a 24mm knot, as well?

- Murray
Murray, it is offered in 24mm as well. That one is around $10.

. . . sketch ? :D
Gary

Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Aesthetically the knot looks very nice. I don’t know why most manufacturers of synthetic knots think they have to “jazz-up” their knots with different coloured fibres; it just makes them shriek “plastic”. I’ll be interested in how this knot performs.
Last edited by Rufus on Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bryan
brothers

Post by brothers »

From the beginning, the manufacturers attracted their customers by making their synthetic brushes look similar to the standard non-threatening badger and boar. Then some black synthetics showed up, and now there's this smoke color. Shaving brush handles, on the other hand, were only offered in the standard fake ivory color with an occasional black or butterscotch thrown in. I concede that shaving brush handles of late seem to have exploded with a wide variety of bright beautiful colors and materials, but I am not finding any other colors of synthetic/boar/brushes. I suppose I'm just not a very good googler! :D
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Now that the SilkSmoke knot has been installed in a new leadwood handle finished with deep CA, created at my request by Vladimir Ferdman, I'm a very happy camper. I used it this morning for the first time. It has a bit more backbone than the Monster I've been using for the past few days. Soft and smooth on the face. Not a lather hog. Makes a great lather with shaving cream. I haven't used it with a soap yet, but I have high hopes (as usual). :)
SilkSmoke synthetic VFerdman.jpg
SilkSmoke synthetic VFerdman.jpg (643.3 KiB) Viewed 12550 times
Last edited by brothers on Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

pausted

Post by pausted »

It's a beautiful brush, Gary. Synthetics have come a long, long way.
Best regards,

Basil
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Fantastic looker. How easily does it splay? Does it work well for lathering on the face with a circular motion?
Bryan
brothers

Post by brothers »

Rufus wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:56 am Fantastic looker. How easily does it splay? Does it work well for lathering on the face with a circular motion?
Two latherings with this brush now. It splays and face-lathers quite well in my opinion. It's not floppy. Easy cleanup and fast drying.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

SilkSmoke synthetic VFerdman.jpg
SilkSmoke synthetic VFerdman.jpg (643.3 KiB) Viewed 12551 times
Last edited by brothers on Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

Gene

Post by Gene »

I have an old EJ BBB handle that lost its knot a couple of years ago.

I was thinking that knot would be good for the handle, but the opening in that handle looks like 22/23 mm, so no joy there.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
brothers

Post by brothers »

Gene wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:11 pm I have an old EJ BBB handle that lost its knot a couple of years ago.

I was thinking that knot would be good for the handle, but the opening in that handle looks like 22/23 mm, so no joy there.
Gene, Maggards Razors appears to have these in stock at 22mm for $8. http://www.maggardrazors.com/product/ma ... y/#reviews
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

I am currently working on another new wooden synthetic brush that will be a 22mm faux horsehair version. (the color appears to be brown like horsehair). The handle is something I've had for several years but never used it. If it turns out like I hope, I'll post about it separately.
Gary

CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hi Gary -

I'll be especially interested in your impressions of the 22mm knot.

Does this synthetic have finer fibers than the Razorock brushes?

- Murray
pausted

Post by pausted »

Just some thoughts to add to the conversation. I bought a SilkSmoke 24mm brush from APShave a week or so ago. Beautiful brush with the faux marble handle. For the past few days I have been alternating shaves with the SilkSmoke and my West Coast Shaving 24mm black synthetic brush. WCS does not say that the brush is a Tuxedo knot, but I believe it is. Softness and face feel are the same with both brushes. The black brush has more backbone in my opinion. I lather my soap in a large bowl and build lather on top of the soap. I'm not a face latherer. The black brush builds quality lather faster and better than the SilkSmoke. For that reason only, like the black brush better.
Best regards,

Basil
brothers

Post by brothers »

I've just realized the tips on this brush are very white. Reminds me of one of my vintage HMW Plisson brushes.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

It's been a year since I started using the SilkSmoke synthetic. The more I use it the more I love it. Good on all types of soaps and creams. I've reduced the lathering to only once per shave. I load this brush for as few as 3 seconds and in some cases, up to 6, but that's rare. I no longer use boars, and I have a handful of badgers that I'm still in love with. One of these days when I find the time I'll be selling off brushes.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Two years later, the SilkSmoke brush has proven itself to be indispensable. I also have a very few workhorse badger brushes that are in the same class, but almost never used regularly. For a short period of time I thought I could resurrect one of my 4 remaining boars, but that didn't end well. I have abandoned all hope for usable boars in my shaving package. Keepsakes but not usable.

I have noticed that the SilkSmoke as well as the best of the ranked badger brushes (criteria - performance, face feel, durability and quality of handles) have one thing in common: curved soft tips. Yes, even the synthetic as a result of almost daily use for more than 2 years has developed a large number of curved tips. I never imagined that would happen with synthetic fibers, but SilkSmoke has developed it due to the passage of time and frequent usage.

Note: The massive brush sell-off last year was a success. Scores of well-known brushes have found new homes and hopefully are being used regularly.
Gary