What's the best shaving soap UNSCENTED?

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
brothers

What's the best shaving soap UNSCENTED?

Post by brothers »

XPEC unscented shaving cream has resulted in an awakening that scent is too subjective, and truly unnecessary, to put it bluntly. Makes me wonder if there is a top shelf excellent shaving soap that is also unscented. By unscented I am referring to the absolute absence of any scent whatsoever, as is XPEC.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Re: What's the best shaving soap UNSCENTED?

Post by CMur12 »

Gary, I really like Valobra hard soap. It is available in unscented form in a cake, and it used to be offered in unscented form as The Art of Shaving soap. This is my favorite commercial soap. I have also liked artisan soaps, such as Mike's Natural, Mystic Waters, Tim's Soap, and such.

- Murray
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Murray, I'm having a hard time remembering that AOS offered an unscented soap. I guess because I was never interested. If it's the old Valobra formula then that's a good call.

Otherwise I don't have anything to offer on this thread.

Gary, I wish you luck in finding what you like!

Chris
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Chris, the AoS unscented shaving soap came in a black-and-gray striped box. I bought quite a bit of it and still have an appreciable stash!

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

They still sell it. Alongside all of their other scented versions. The big drawback is that they reformulated all of their shaving soaps several years ago. No longer made by Valobra, and no more tallow. Here's the link: https://www.theartofshaving.com/shaving ... ap#start=1
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

brothers wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:59 pm They still sell it. Alongside all of their other scented versions. The big drawback is that they reformulated all of their shaving soaps several years ago. No longer made by Valobra, and no more tallow. Here's the link: https://www.theartofshaving.com/shaving ... ap#start=1
Ugh!
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

As others have not, the tallow version of AOS unscented is no longer made. But if you can find some, it is truly excellent.
_______
John
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

John, you can still get Valobra hard soap under the Valobra brand. I just noted that it also used to be available under the AoS brand, as well.

- Murray
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

I have a bowl of the aos version. I'm the opposite of gary.....scent all day long!!! The unscented is way to boring. Also, and this is probably just my becks induced imagination running amok, the aos needs a lot of water to get a lather going which is a style of lathering that i do not like at all

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
slackskin

Post by slackskin »

Hi Gary --

I have a freebie for you. I have two pucks of the old tallow formulation of AOS soap. My wife does not like it, and I think it is because the tallow must emit some kind of a fragrance that she doesn't like. She is hyper-sensitive. However, with 50 years of marriage behind us, and given her difficulty breathing, I have no desire to make her uncomfortable. So I will be pleased to send it to you if you will please PM me your address.

Please note that I have had good results with the current formulation of AOS unscented IF (and only if) I rub the puck directly on the stubble. I cannot find another way of getting enough soap into the brush, regardless of having tried several loading methods.

I have also had good results with Los Angeles Shaving "plain shaving soap." but the packaging currently on their site looks different than the product I have, so maybe they reformulated?

Neisner Tremonia "Pots of Milk" is unscented and a really good performer - for me, at least.

All the best.
brothers

Post by brothers »

PM sent! :D
Gary

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

I have a freebie for you
This is why smf rocks!!!!!!!

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum