New Mattress Suggestions?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
EL Alamein

New Mattress Suggestions?

Post by EL Alamein »

Well, to set this up the wife and I have a low-end hard mattress that we've been content with the last ten years. We bought a memory foam topper for it a year or so after buying it to provide a little softness. The mattress is hard by preference because I didn't like the pillow-top mattress we had before it because it gave me back pain and sciatic pain.

Fast-forward to last night. Lately I've been having sciatic pain again while sleeping. Our five year old son regularly comes in during the middle of the night to snuggle with mommy and I. It makes things cramped even though we have a King sized bed. I chose to re-locate to his bed for the rest of the night which has a hard mattress with no topper. My sciatic pain ceased.

With the bride's approval I've gotten rid of the topper on our bed but the mattress is definitely cupped and old so we're considering something new.

She and I immediately thought of one of those sleep-number beds where each occupant can dial in the hardness of their side of the bed. I don't know if they're any good though.

Any suggestions from someone here that may have had experience with them or any advice on what alternatives to get?

Chris
Gene

Re: New Mattress Suggestions?

Post by Gene »

Chris - we ave a sleep number bed at our house. I prefer a firmer bed, and it seems you might, too.

This is our second or third one - they last a long time. They can be a bit expensive - I will say that up front - but we enjoy ours, no doubt. We are considering a new one now - the style that has the ability to raise the head of each side. My brother-in-law has one he swears by.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Gene, thanks so much for the feedback. The one that you're considering is the one the wife picked out. Both of us get acid reflux at times and the ability to raise the head will be a blessing should it be needed. We have a wedge cushion for this when needed but won't be needed in the future if we get a mattress that can do this.

For the exact reason you mentioned, the ability to adjust firmness for each user, is exactly why we thought of this. She definitely likes a softer mattress while I like one that is firm (a recurring theme throughout my life with any female). Before we got the memory foam topper for this bed the wife had gotten an egg-crate foam topper for her side of the bed to compensate.

I will say this - that last night, with just the bare mattress (with sheet, of course) I got one of the best rests I have gotten in a long time. No sciatic pain whatsoever. No protest from the Mrs. yet so I'll ride it as long as I can until push comes to shove.

Chris
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Well, tonight after dinner the Mrs. let loose. I was selecting a cigar from the humidor when she started in on how she can feel every coil in the bed now. She asked me, "Don't you feel it too?" My response was "No, I feel fantastic as all my pain is nearly gone, maybe we should consider separating the beds?"

The look of death briefly flashed over her visage but my usual smirk in such a situation canned it and she then suggested she just get another egg-crate foam topper for her side.

We'll get a new mattress in due time.

Chris
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Skating on thin ice there, huh, Chris? 8)

- Murray
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Murray, she's kinda like champagne: gotta let her gush a little after the uncorking. Once that's passed then comes the good stuff.

Just have to be a little patient.

Chris
Barry

Post by Barry »

I own a Sleep Number but it's not a particularly high end model. I'd have to look up to see what it is... probably a queen p6. I looked through my e-mails and noticed that the delivery was an issue.... drove me nuts. Around the time I purchased my bed I exchanged messages with a buddy of mine and apparently he had the same issue. Loves the bed but the delivery process was a nightmare.

I later purchased the adjustable platform that allows the head and leg to be lifted. It also has lights underneath and it will vibrate if you want to create an annoying racket. I wish it didn't include the vibrate "massage" feature as it's basically worthless. The adjustability features and lights are great though.

When the head is elevated some of the mattress bulks up right where my back is. I don't notice it too much when I'm reading. It annoyed me at first and Sleep Number sent out a new bed with few questions asked but the new bed had the same issue.

The only issue I think I'm having is that it feels as though the side is sinking or caving. I typically sit on the edge of the bed to get dressed, etc.

The fact that I can tweak the firmness is great. I hope to move in the near future and will probably put this in a guest bedroom and the adjustability feature will be nice for guests.

I'd go for a memory foam mattress but I tend to sleep hot and worry about the bed temperature with those mattresses.
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Barry, thanks, that's great feedback!

Chris