Cutting boards

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
brothers

Cutting boards

Post by brothers »

My recent knife sharpening experiences have brought up a vital question. What is the best cutting board to protect the integrity of the edge when in use?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Re: Cutting boards

Post by CMur12 »

Gary, a good quality plastic cutting board is adequate, and it is easily washed.

In the case of wood, end-grain cutting boards are recommended. Then, of course, it follows that harder wood causes more wear to the knife.

My preference is the Asian-style cutting board, which is simply a round of pine or other conifer. This is softer wood and it is more porous. My understanding is that wood has anti-bacterial qualities and that porous wood is better.

Check out these at the Wok Shop, in San Francisco: http://wokshop.stores.yahoo.net/choppingblock.html

If you buy one of these, I would recommend soaking it in water when you get it. After soaking and some time to dry, treat both sides well with butcher block oil or mineral oil. At some point, the block will crack, which can't be avoided and is normal to every Asian-style cutting board. I would dedicate one side to fruits and vegetables and the other exclusively to meats. I would not wash it with soap; I would just wipe it off with a damp cloth or paper towel.

- Murray
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

I really like the bamboo cutting boards. Knife friendly and durable, they don’t seem to require as much upkeep as regular wood. Also good are Epicurean brand boards, made of natural wood fibers and dishwasher safe.
Jim
brothers

Post by brothers »

Regarding storage of a wooden cutting board, is it ok to leave the board lying on the counter or should they be stored dry so they won't be left where they might happen to be sitting in moisture?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

brothers wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:59 am Regarding storage of a wooden cutting board, is it ok to leave the board lying on the counter or should they be stored dry so they won't be left where they might happen to be sitting in moisture?
I would say the latter, Gary.

The Wok Shop recommends storing their cutting blocks in the vertical position, to avoid trapping moisture. I have left mine in a horizontal position, straddling the right side of my double kitchen sink. I also have a more standard end-grain cutting board that is one inch thick, and I store it vertically.

- Murray
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Don't ask why, but I subscribe to burrfections on youtube. here's the top picks which include cutting boards for you to think about.

https://kit.com/Burrfection/top-picks
de gustibus non est disputandum
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

de gustibus non est disputandum