Ask and ye shall receive - RAZORS. And BLADES

Got something to sell or trade? Feel free to post in this group!
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Ask and ye shall receive - RAZORS. And BLADES

Post by Pauldog »

Rather than list all the razors I have lying around, why don't you post something you're looking for, and I'll check my boxes and post a reply. Then we can write back and forth through the mail system here, and work out a purchase or trade.

Examples -

Gillette pre-1930, Senator, Aristocrat, Regent Tech, Ranger Tech, Super Speed (any kind), adjustable (any kind), Knack/Slim Twist, Injector, Trac II, Atra, Sensor. (I don't know if I want to let go of my Rocket.) I discovered that I have way too many slim adjustables and flare tip Super Speeds.

Schick injectors (almost every type, including very early "Magazine Repeating" models), Schick Krona DE razors. Pal adjustable injectors, Pal Injectomatic. I shaved today with a Personna steel-and-plastic injector razor. Maybe I'll sell that, too. No, I don't have a Type O Schick, but some people have put in a good word for the lookalike to the O that ebarbershop.com has sold for several years. I got a D injector, and got a good shave when I tried it. I have an all-metal F, and also a G with a gold-filled handle. I have a

Gem/Ever Ready/etc. - many SE razors, including Micromatic, some in boxes. I don't think I want to let go of my Ever-Ready lather catcher with the tiny black wood handle. But I have one or two very early SE razors, maybe with wedge blades, and they will take current Gem blades.

An early WIlkinson with wedge blades, a couple of Valets (one will take Feather SE blades), an Enders or two, a Christy, Durham (hoe and straight), women's curved armpit razors, a Twinplex DE blade stropper, and one razor with a head smaller than your pinkie nail (and a blade in it - maybe it was used to shave knuckles? dolls?).

Rolls Razors - I have 3 sets, probably all complete, some with more than one blade. May need some sharpening and extra equipment (like strop paste) to be shave ready. I used one of these kits, and got decent shaves.

If you want an affordable Trac II or Atra type razor, I have some new and used. New Trac II's and metal handle Atras from Gillette are expensive, but I have inexpensive alternatives. I also have the Gillettes.

BLADES - I have a bunch of new DE blades and twin blade cartridges - Gillette (India & Russia), Astra, Feather Hi-Stainless, Personna med prep/hospital. Also antique blades, like Gillette Super Blue Blades and all kinds of old DE blades, mostly wrapped in boxes of 5.
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Re: Ask and ye shall receive - RAZORS. And BLADES

Post by TRBeck »

Red Tip and/or LH Adjustable from before the black plastic replaced metal on the underside of the head (so I guess late 60s/early 70s on that one). Would prefer VG condition but I'm really just looking to get hold of a couple of shavers that worked well for me in the past.

And thanks for doing this, Pauldog!
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

I have a mint red tip in the original case. The only flaw is a 1" or 2" crack in the middle of the top of the case. Otherwise not far from new. That's the only red tip in a case. I may have one or two more, maybe with some worn red paint?

I'm pretty sure I have the kind of adjustable you're looking for. Probably no case. I'll check in my Gillette bin this weekend. I don't even think I have one with a plastic bottom any more.
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Cases are great, but let me know either way. That red tip sounds great.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Gillette rubie's?
de gustibus non est disputandum
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Sorry, no Rubies. I have these Gillette blades:

Packs of 6: 5 7 O'Clock Permasharp (India) with 1 Super Platinum (black)
Packs of 5: Nacet (Russia), 7 O'Clock SharpEdge yellow box (Russia)
Atra (some with lube strip, some without)
Trac II (also ASR version)
Sensor, Sensor Excel, Sensor 3

Also:
Packs of 5 Astra Superior Platinum
Packs of 7 Schick injector blades from the 1990's, made in USA
Boxes of 250 very old stock highly regarded Feather Hi-Stainless (which I can divide up)
Packs of 5 Wilkinson Bonded single blade cartridges (which I'd prefer to sell with the extra Wilkinson Bonded razor I still have)
Packs of 5 Personna Double II (maybe of historical interest - I can throw this in along with a Double II razor as a freebie if you're interested and are buying other stuff)

Because of how the US Postal Service now charges for shipping, it pays with blades to get a somewhat sizeable quantity or a tiny quantity, so that shipping cost is a low fraction of total cost. I can tape maybe 20 DE blades to a card and mail it for 50¢, or put about 100 loose wrapped blades in a manila envelope for about $1.50. Once the package is thick or lumpy, the shipping jumps to about $3, even at low weight. And it costs the same to ship a 4 ounce box as it does to ship a one ounce box.
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

1954 z-4 Super-Speed?
Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 56 years! 8)
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

I think I have a Z, but I'll have to peek at several to see if there's also a 4. Quite a specific request!
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

Pauldog wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 12:03 am I think I have a Z, but I'll have to peek at several to see if there's also a 4. Quite a specific request!
I know, but I was born in Dec. of '54. :D if you don't have a Z-4, let me know what you have. Thanks.
Roger

Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

I'm not finding any Z's yet, but there's another one in a blue case (darker than the blue-tip's case) that I've somehow misplaced in the last couple of days. It has a black plastic tip, and it's not an aluminum handle.
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

Pauldog wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:02 am I'm not finding any Z's yet, but there's another one in a blue case (darker than the blue-tip's case) that I've somehow misplaced in the last couple of days. It has a black plastic tip, and it's not an aluminum handle.
Thanks for looking, Paul. I'll check elsewhere for the Z4.

Regards,
Roger

Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

I found the Super Speed in the case, and it's X2. It comes with the instructions, an empty Blue Blades pack, and the original cardboard backing for the blades that tells you to remove it when you use up the blades. Everything is mint except for a fair amount of crazing on the top of the case. The handle is not aluminum.

The other Super Speeds I have from that era not mentioned before:

No date code, not quite mint (some plating wear)

Y3, mint, all metal, red case with one damaged hinge

W1, mint, all metal

X1, black tip, aluminum handle, a little plating wear on one guard

W3, black tip, aluminum handle, tiny amount of plating wear on side of head

And I have lots of flare-tip Super Speeds, several with colored tips, many unpainted, many with black handles, some with cases.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

I just got an assortment of used razors in excellent condition, mostly Merkur and Jagger with various handles, in case anyone is interested...
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Update to blades:

Most DE's will be 25¢ per blade, with some variation for specific blade and quantity. If you buy a lot of them and take them off my hands so I can concentrate on selling razors, I will give you a very good deal!

Packs of 5 Astra Superior Platinum
Personna - DE blades labeled "FOR HOSPITAL USE" - bulk, and I'll sell small quantities if you want
Feather - Boxes of 250 very old stock highly regarded Hi-Stainless, and I'll sell small quantities as well.
Packs of 6: 5 Indian 7 O'Clock Permasharp (green) + 1 bonus Super Platinum (black)
Packs of 5 Russian 7 O'Clock SharpEdge (yellow)
Packs of 5 Gillette Nacet

Packs of 7 Schick injector blades from the 1990's, made in USA - 75¢ per blade

Most cartridge blades are $1 per blade, except Personna for 50¢ and Sensor3 for 75¢
Atra (some with lube strip, some without) - packs of 5 and 10
Trac II (also ASR version) -packs of 5 and 10
Schick Slim Twin - packs of 5
Sensor 3 (out of box) - packs of 4

Packs of 5 Wilkinson Bonded single blade cartridges, which I'd prefer to sell with the matching razor, since I have two on hand.

Freebies if you're buying some blades - may increase your shipping cost:
Packs of 5 Personna Double II - of historical interest - I can throw this in free along with a men's or women's Double II razor
Band razors - Gillette Techmatic or Schick Instamatic - some have unused blades
"Grade B" razors - razors that work fine, but have corrosion / general ugliness.

If you're buying DE blades only, and in small quantities, I reserve the right to take them out of their little boxes in order to minimize the shipping cost. You also get that option for up to about 100 blades if you want to pay less for shipping.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Pauldog wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:01 pm Personna Med Prep (Hospital) blades - bulk, so I'll sell quantities as low as 1
Just wondering, there is some confusion out and about regarding these blades. Do these specific blades say "hospital use" instead of an upside down Personna logo? If not, then they're two different blades. (Med prep and hospital use)
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

I'm getting two different boxes of 100. One arrived the other day, and one hasn't arrived yet. I unwrapped one blade from the ones that arrived, and they say "hospital use."

I'll edit my post to mention that.
libertine

Post by libertine »

OK - what is the difference Hospital and Med Prep. What places like Connaught and Robbins Medical once called "Med Prep", now specify "Hospital Use" and different name.

Any chance same blade but new company?
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

It's always been American Safety Razor, though they seem to be owned by a different company every few years.

What I had read on more than one forum is that the blades marked "For Hospital Use" are the ones to buy. Sometimes they are called "med prep" or something similar. They are used for shaving patients before surgery.

When I just double checked checked, though, I found that the "Lab Blue" blades are also getting good reviews.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

I got the second box of Personna prep blades in the mail yesterday, from a different seller, and it was in the same box. I think this indicates that they're the real thing, and I'll be selling them for about 25¢ a blade.

I'll be trying one out very soon. I've never shaved with this before, though I've used a lot of Personna blades.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Paul, I'll be interested to read your impressions of the Med Prep blades. I really like them and they are generally regarded to be a cut above other Personnas, though some believe the Lab Blues to be the same blade.

- Murray