Razors that need refurbishing

Got something to sell or trade? Feel free to post in this group!
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Razors that need refurbishing

Post by Pauldog »

Any mechanics out there who like to rebuild razors? Or want some practice or want something to learn on? I've been digging through my bins lately, and found some that don't quite work, and more that could just use new plating. [There was a member here (Bob/"Books") who had a friend who did replating, and years ago he was kind of enough to get my Gillette NEW razor replated into something quite beautiful.]

The most interesting one might be a gold slim adjustable (latter day Aristocrat, if I remember my names right) that needs to be pulled apart.

I'm not sure how to work the money angle on these. Maybe trade or see what happens when there's success at your end. If the razor is somewhat valuable, maybe we could share in the proceeds after reselling it.
CMur12

Re: Razors that need refurbishing

Post by CMur12 »

Hi Paul -

The gold Slim Adjustable was still just called the Aristocrat. I have one with the original case and the way it is printed inside, the name of the razor is just Aristocrat and it's an adjustable razor. (On the top line of print inside the case, it says Gillette in gold. On the second line, it says Aristocrat in large red letters. On the third line, in small print, it says adjustable razor.)

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

P'dog, what is it about the Aristocrat that needs to be fixed?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

The TTO knob sticks out too far. If I remember right, you have to push it in and twist it to move the doors. Anyway, something like that; the innards are goofed up. It would need to be dismantled. I suppose the date code will tell us how easy it is to dismantle.

I'll get out the razor later and post more details.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Paul and Gary, if the razor is a 1957 or before, it is more easily disassembled, provided you have the appropriate tool to unscrew the mechanism from below.

From 1958, the mechanism was held in place, from below, with a clip. (It may still be possible to disassemble it, but it looks like it would be more difficult, at the very least.)

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

CMur12 wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:16 pm Paul and Gary, if the razor is a 1957 or before, it is more easily disassembled, provided you have the appropriate tool to unscrew the mechanism from below.

From 1958, the mechanism was held in place, from below, with a clip. (It may still be possible to disassemble it, but it looks like it would be more difficult, at the very least.)

- Murray
Murray, the adjustable slims were not produced until 1961 and ended in 1968.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

It's definitely made after 1958. I might have an older adjustable as well.
brothers

Post by brothers »

The earliest Gillette adjustables were the Toggle and the Fat Boy 195 and the bottom dial Fat Boy from 1958 or thereabout. Unless I am mistaken, these were the first adjustable Gillettes. Of course I am not an expert and may be mistaken.

Aristocrats were among the first TTO Gillettes when they were introduced between 1936 and 1938, they were also sold in 1941, and from 1946 to 1951. None of these gold plated TTO Aristocrats were adjustable, as is the razor you describe in the OP. There was a gold plated version of the Slim adjustable under another name but it was not an Aristocrat, to the best of my understanding. This seems to be your razor.
Gary

Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Gillette recycled the "Aristocrat" name for its gold plated slim adjustables.
Attachments
Adjustable Aristo.jpg
Adjustable Aristo.jpg (21.35 KiB) Viewed 3095 times
brothers

Post by brothers »

P'dog, that's good information. Thanks for the correction. What is the date code of your gold plated Aristocrat?

I read where the gold adjustable Aristocrats were offered from 1961 (G-3) through 1967 (M-3).
Gary

CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Mine is an M-2.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

Pauldog wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:02 am The TTO knob sticks out too far. If I remember right, you have to push it in and twist it to move the doors. Anyway, something like that; the innards are goofed up. It would need to be dismantled. I suppose the date code will tell us how easy it is to dismantle.

I'll get out the razor later and post more details.
P'dog I have experience with taking a slim apart and re-assembling it. I also have a slim (adjustment clicker spring was broken due to someone who forcibly turned the adjustment knob past the number 9) that would be a parts donor if needed. If you trust that I am not a razor thief [-X , I will take yours apart with the intent to clean it internally and repair it (just a personal favor and no money changes hands in either direction unless you decide to sell it to me and I decide to buy it at an agreed-upon price) based on my amateur/enthusiast status. Regardless of whether or not I can successfully repair it, I will promptly send it back to you at my expense. It sounds to me that yours might be fixable.
Gary

Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

These are the bad razors I was talking about. The photo is actually much larger and will show more detail if you do a "View Image."

Left to Right:

1) Y3 Super Speed - head out of alignment or not being pulled all the way into place

2) B4 Super Adjustable (plastic adjuster) - TTO/adjuster mechanism out of whack, adjuster knob won't turn, too much up/down play in TTO knob, doors won't open 100%.

3) C1 Super Speed - doors don't open evenly, might misalign the blade

4) Gem "Damaskeene" - spring too weak to hold blade.

5) G4 adjustable gold Aristocrat - note the gap above the TTO knob. (For some reason, the gold color is barely visible in the photo.)
Attachments
Rogues' Gallery.jpg
Rogues' Gallery.jpg (1.34 MiB) Viewed 3048 times
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

CMur12 wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:16 pm Paul and Gary, if the razor is a 1957 or before, it is more easily disassembled, provided you have the appropriate tool to unscrew the mechanism from below.

Murray, what's that tool called, and can you get it at a hardware store? I imagine it being similar to a screwdriver, but with two small rods or prongs or whatever on the end.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Razors 1,3, and 5 are going to Gary, and the other two are still available - Super Adjustable and Gem.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Pauldog wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:36 pm

Murray, what's that tool called, and can you get it at a hardware store? I imagine it being similar to a screwdriver, but with two small rods or prongs or whatever on the end.
Paul, I've never actually seen the tool. It might even be Gillette-specific.

- Murray
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

There's probably some discussion of this buried in the "Razors and Blades" forum.

After a quick search, I found someone who had used very thin needle nose pliers.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Gary

Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Gary, what do you use?
brothers

Post by brothers »

Pauldog wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:47 am Gary, what do you use?
If I needed one I would make one out of a small slot screwdriver by filing a V into the center of the blade, leaving two pointed tips that would work. Fortunately, I don't anticipate taking any superspeeds apart, but if I did, that's what I would do.
Gary