Geoducks

Share recipes and tips, or memorable restaurant experiences here.
churchilllafemme

Geoducks

Post by churchilllafemme »

Geoducks ('gooey-ducks') are giant Northwest U.S. clams that are wonderful to eat if tenderized correctly. My wife and I had some yesterday with some friends, who had hauled them out of their freezer, thawed them, skinned them, pounded them flat with a mallet, breaded them, and pan-fried them in garlicked olive oil. Yum. This reminded me that I had some really old images of geoducks from my past. So, from the wayback machine, here I am (in the maroon sweatshirt) digging them up in 1973.
ImageImageImage
_______
John
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: Geoducks

Post by drmoss_ca »

Ooh, nasty! I bet the first person to eat one was very brave and very hungry!
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Yuk, very nasty looking. I’ll take your word that they’re delicious when properly prepared. Do I see a beard?
Bryan
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

Rufus wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:36 am Yuk, very nasty looking. I’ll take your word that they’re delicious when properly prepared. Do I see a beard?
Yes, this was during my '5 acres and self-sufficiency' phase, before I got back into wet shaving.
_______
John
brothers

Post by brothers »

I believe you completely when you say they taste good when prepared and cooked. However, after seeing them in their naked glory, I'll pass. But thanks for sharing the old photo.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444