Review: Maximo Gomes Tallow Shaving Soap, by First Canadian Shave

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Bill_K

Review: Maximo Gomes Tallow Shaving Soap, by First Canadian Shave

Post by Bill_K »

When I first opened my tub of Maximo Gomez Tallow Shaving Soap[1] I was reminded of wet cedar lumber combined with tobacco; my wife correctly opined that it smelled like walking into a humidor. Either way, it has a wonderful masculine scent.

The Web page indicates that it, “…contains oils of zesty citrus, tobacco leaves, vetiver and patchouli, which are fused together to convey a fresh and masculine fragrance.” Now that I know what to look for, that’s an accurate description.

I have a feeling that the scent will be polarizing, much like Tabac. That is to say, those that like it, really really like it; those that don’t… well, you get the idea. Personally, I fall into the former camp; I think it has a terrific scent and I look forward to shaving with it. 5 out of 5 stars!

In terms of its lathering capability, I need to use at least a level teaspoon’s worth of soap – about the size of a large grape – to get the lather that I want. It’s more product than I’m accustomed to using, but at only $22CDN for a tub I’m not about to complain. As I mentioned in an earlier review of First Canadian Shave’s “Barber Shop” soap, I’m having a harder-than-usual time of lathering in my very hard water, but if you have soft water then you’ll do better than me. 3 out of 5 for lathering.

As far as shaving performance goes, it’s exactly like “Barber Shop” in that it gives me great lubrication and lots of residual slickness. 4 out of 5 stars for performance.

Overall, I give this soap a hearty 4 out of 5 stars; I recommend giving it a try.

I also purchased the accompanying after shave splash[2]; it has the same great scent as the soap. Its ingredients are witch hazel, aloe vera juice, glycerine, distilled water, fragrances, and polysorbate, and does not have the sting of alcohol-based after shaves. It makes my face feel smooth, and as an added bonus, makes a favourable impression upon my wife. Pick up a bottle of this when you order the soap.

[1] https://firstcanadianshave.com/collecti ... aving-soap
[2] https://firstcanadianshave.com/collecti ... aftershave
Bill
brothers

Re: Review: Maximo Gomes Tallow Shaving Soap, by First Canadian Shave

Post by brothers »

Quite a positive review Bill! After the first sentence, I am convinced it's just what I like!

However, I have learned from finishing off several artisan soaps that the soft soaps last me around 3 weeks (20 to 22 shaves) before they run completely out. That fact has cooled my rate of shaving soap acquisitions down to a trickle.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

good review... thanks
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

Following up on my earlier remark about the artisan soft soap's longevity, or lack thereof. I checked my records, and it seems most of my hard artisan soaps lasted 59, 70, and as many as 100 shaves before they ran out.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Bill_K

Post by Bill_K »

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, the longevity of these soft soaps isn't great; I've made a big dent in the tubs and have done only about 20 shaves with them. Still, the aroma will be enough to convince me to buy more when it runs out.
Bill