Muhle head thread on Gillette handle?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Shave4Fun

Muhle head thread on Gillette handle?

Post by Shave4Fun »

Has anyone tried this?
Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 56 years! 8)
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Re: Muhle head thread on Gillette handle?

Post by Pauldog »

It should work. That head fits most DE handles. So many of them have the same thread. Or are you just wondering what the shave is like?
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

Pauldog wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:54 pm It should work. That head fits most DE handles. So many of them have the same thread. Or are you just wondering what the shave is like?
Well, knowing what the shave is like would be nice, yes.
But I have an old Gillette "NEW" handle and thought this would be nice for it if it threads on okay.

Thanks,
Roger

Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

The threads should fit fine. With some NEW heads, the diameter of the top of a handle might be too big to fit in the space available. But going the other way - putting a NEW handle on a Muhle head - should work fine.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hi Roger and Paul -

I don't have a NEW handle, so I can't speak to that. What I have is a variety of Techs.
I also have an Edwin Jagger razor, which I understand to have the same head as the Muehle.

I was NOT able to thread the EJ head into either of two post-War (undated) thick gold-plated Tech handles.

I WAS able to thread the EJ head into a pre-War thick nickel-plated Tech handle (from a Tech with triangular slots).

I hope this helps (but it probably just adds to the confusion).

- Murray
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

CMur12 wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:57 pm I was NOT able to thread the EJ head into either of two post-War (undated) thick gold-plated Tech handles.

I WAS able to thread the EJ head into a pre-War thick nickel-plated Tech handle (from a Tech with triangular slots).

Was there also some incompatibility between the different Tech heads and handles?
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Pauldog wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:31 am
CMur12 wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:57 pm I was NOT able to thread the EJ head into either of two post-War (undated) thick gold-plated Tech handles.

Was there also some incompatibility between the different Tech heads and handles?
Paul, I just checked and there is no problem of interchangeability between the Techs.

The problem with the EJ head and the post-War Tech handles was that the head started to thread into the handle, but quickly hit resistance.

(Makes no sense to me either. I'm reluctant to use force to see if that would make a difference, as I would risk destroying the threads in a perfectly good Tech handle.)

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

Here is an SMF post from 2013. This works.
brothers wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:07 am Spenser, I have the answer to your question, and was able to locate the following email I received a year or so ago. I was trying to use the Muhle head on a handle Bob Smith, the late proprietor of Bob's Razor Works, had made. He told me exactly what to buy and what to do with it. It solved the problem, and I think it cost me less than about $5 to buy this particular tool. As he states in the following email, it takes less time to use the tool on any given handle, than it does to type the email. Edit: just in case there are some folks who don't understand, you need to go to the hardware store and tell them you want to buy a "M 5 x 0.8 metric tap". Then you buy it, take it home and very carefully run the tap down into the offending non-metric threaded handle, and your heads fit your handle, or vice versa.

Here's what Bob said:
Cooncat Bob wrote:Gary:
That must be an older Bull Mastiff handle, I use the slightly larger metric threads on all my handles now.
The M5 X 0.8 metric is about .020 of an inch bigger then the #10-32 but has the same threads per inch.
All you need to do is run the metric tap down the spindle hole being careful to keep the tap straight.
It take less time to do it then it does to type it out.
Bob.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

So the thread pitch is the same, but the diameter is slightly different?
brothers

Post by brothers »

Pauldog wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:24 pm So the thread pitch is the same, but the diameter is slightly different?
Yes, that's correct.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Whilst we mix and match heads and handles, I have been using a bulbous Jagger handle on my brass General. It is lighter overall, and alters the balance so the weight is in the head rather than the handle.

Brass General head with blade 58g
Brass General handle 72g
Jagger handle 57g

Now it not only shaves nicely, it is more of an ergonomic pleasure to use!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

How does the Muehle head, say closed comb, compare to a Merkur?
Roger

CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Roger, in my experience, the Muehle/Edwin Jagger head is very slightly milder than the Merkur fixed head.

- Murray
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

CMur12 wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:09 pm Roger, in my experience, the Muehle/Edwin Jagger head is very slightly milder than the Merkur fixed head.

- Murray
Murray,

Thank you. That's very helpful.

Regards,
Roger

Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

drmoss_ca wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:09 am
Brass General head with blade 58g
Brass General handle 72g
Jagger handle 57g

Now it not only shaves nicely, it is more of an ergonomic pleasure to use!

Chris

Chris, you may have infected me with HAD - handle acquisition disorder. I have handles noticeably heavier and lighter than your Jagger handle, but nothing close to 57g. For instance, the long handle that came with my Razorock Teck II (same as the Baili BD191) is surprisingly heavy, and the long handle from my Merkur 3-piece razor is surprisingly light.