Le Tour 2018

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
jww
Woolly Bully

Le Tour 2018

Post by jww »

The welshman raised in Manchester takes Yellow in an epic showdown of GC riders. Today's TT was possibly the best individual race in recent memory. Still not sure how that racecourse timing screwed up between Dumoulin and Froome, who rode like a man possessed today. Dumoulin matched the 4X Tour winner stroke for stroke.

But the real day belongs to the former domestique of Sir Bradley Wiggins and Froome. 11 years racing and it's interesting to note that Thomas' first Tour he came in 2nd to last -- 140th out of 141 riders, I think.

I've been watching Thomas for the past few years and felt he had a yellow in him, but wondered if he would ever actually get the chance to win one.

Tomorrow mean's nothing to the yellow, but there will be a few after the stage win in front of the Paris crowds.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
CMur12

Re: Le Tour 2018

Post by CMur12 »

Wendell, I have no idea what you're talking about.

What are GC and TT, for starters? (I hate acronyms, especially when I don't even know the subject matter they relate to!)
What kind of race is this?
Where was it?

Thanks.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

I'm not Wendell, but I would suppose GC means general classification (individual standings), and TT is a reference to time trials. This is the Tour de France. I enjoy reading Wendell's description as he is knowledgeable regarding the Tour. Some years I watch more than others, and there are some tense moments as the riders fight for position.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Thanks, Gary.

I recognize Tour de France, but I didn't recognize the abbreviation thereof or the acronyms.

- Murray
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Gary has the acronyms correct. Le Tour, as it is more commonly known in cycling circles, is still for me the ultimate in individual performance sports. Riding more than 3000km in three weeks requires super human dedication and some level of masochism. This year's tour was everything no one expected. In my mind's eye, it's great to see a run-of-the-mill, everyday-driver type rider taking the yellow jersey. Thomas could have would have competed for the podium in last year's Tour as he was wearing the jersey then fell seriously injuring himself ending his run for yellow. Make no mistake - Froome made a valiant effort yesterday, but it was a story of too little too late. Garaint is a most deserving winner. He's the guy we regular-day riders often see ourselves as being - you know, the guy who slogs it out in hopes that something good will come from a bike ride. :)
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
MntnMan62

Post by MntnMan62 »

Cheers. I was definitely an exciting race this year with a very deserving winner. And for all the negative talk about Froome, he not only came in 3rd to stand on the podium but his teammate won. Froome could potentially be standing on the highest platform next year if things actually go his way and he doesn't crack in the mountains. But what I get from watching the tour is motivation to get off my butt and ride. I'm no racer. I'm not even an amateur. I just ride to try and stay in some kind of shape. But I enjoy my Taiwan made Motobecane and play little Le Tour games in my head as I climb the hills of North Jersey......albeit slowly. My current average speed on my rides which average around 20 miles is about 11 mph. I may go a little faster if you take into account the 2 or 3 rest stops that I take to just smell the fresh air and take in the nature of the 2000 acre park I ride around (on the road). Looking to get the fork on my mountain bike fixed so I can ride the single track in there again (which is illegal - no mountain bikes on trails in the county).
Absurdity is the only reality. - FZ