New hat and trip to Buckaroo Hatters

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Sam
M'Learned Friend

New hat and trip to Buckaroo Hatters

Post by Sam »

I had been watching the series, Yellowstone, and really liked the hat on Rip, Kevin Costner's top ranchhand and yes, I liked the ones on Costner. So I took a 75 minute drive from my home up to Buckaroo Hatters in Covington, Tennessee, just north of Memphis. Mike Moore owns the place and has a top guy in Rocky. Love to just chat with them, but it seems I am always buying a hat. Today was no different. Tried on a few western hats and loved the various hatbands. We did find one that fit my face well. and I may end up with it, but Mike has some hats he has done up in a distressed sort of way. I posted two pics, one of which you can sort of see the distressing on it. Next time I am up there I may have him distress it some more.

If you ever get a chance to go to an actual hatmaker, do it. Just the level of customization, from fit to finish, I imagine that is what going to a tailor and having a custom suit would be like. You can pick the details and he has a lot of things already made up, from western to fedora, straw to beaver. This is my first 100% beaver hat, usually I have gotten it in hare to keep the price more affordable.

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Re: New hat and trip to Buckaroo Hatters

Post by fallingwickets »

looking very, very swanky Sam, but this is smf and I hate to be the one, but you need a shave man :D :D :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Very nice hat, what’s it made of? As Clive has pointed out, you need to stand closer to your razor. :P
Bryan
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

A man can never have enough hats ...... This is a very nice one, Sam.

You need to add a flat cap or two to your list -- although unless you are in cooler climbs, they can be a bit warm-ish. I was in a Barbour outlet the other day and had to really constrain myself to not buy one of their fabulous waxed cotton flat caps. I also love my Tilleys. Not bespoke but fabulous hats, nevertheless.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Bryan, 100% beaver felt
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Got a Tilley for the beach, airflow model. Got two flat caps, one a Goorin Bros.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I agree with Wendell, you do need a flat cap, Sam. I have half a dozen to take me through Autumn, winter and spring. A flat cap is the only hat I enjoy wearing for an extended period of time.
Bryan
brothers

Post by brothers »

Cool, Dude!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Sam wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:10 pm Bryan, 100% beaver felt
Very traditional and classy.
Bryan
Bill_K

Post by Bill_K »

jww wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:35 pm A man can never have enough hats ...... This is a very nice one, Sam.

You need to add a flat cap or two to your list -- although unless you are in cooler climbs, they can be a bit warm-ish. I was in a Barbour outlet the other day and had to really constrain myself to not buy one of their fabulous waxed cotton flat caps. I also love my Tilleys. Not bespoke but fabulous hats, nevertheless.
x2 on the thumbs up; it is a nice hat.

Mrs. K and I travelled through the UK last summer and I spent way too much money on three hats from Christys (the Prince's Arcade location). The following December I got into traditional wet shaving and now I'm spending too much money on soaps and brushes. Whenever I have the opportunity to travel I look for hatters and shaving stores.

When I retire in a year and a half, I hope I don't pick up any more hobbies because at this rate, I can't afford 'em. :wink:

Bill
Bill
brothers

Post by brothers »

I have my grandfather's Sunday-go-to-meetin' hat, with his name written inside (his own handwriting - he didn't want it to get mixed up with some other guys' hat!). It's in the original hatbox. I can still recall seeing him all dressed up in his gray suit and this hat.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444