Anyone use a Genco razor?

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
Bill_K

Anyone use a Genco razor?

Post by Bill_K »

I've decided to dip my toes into the sacred waters of straight razor shaving.

Rather than lay out hundreds for a new razor I bought one from an antique store; it's a Genco "Gold Seal". It seems to be in decent enough shape; the edge seems to be straight and flat (according to my eye when I laid it on the glass of the display case). There's some discolouration but nothing near the edge that would preclude some sharpening. It looks like it had gold plating at some point in time, as you can see in a close-up of the shoulder, tang, and tail. I paid $65CDN for it (approximately $50USD).

I see some references here - mostly positive - and I'm wondering what current SMF members think of it.

Bill

edit: I forgot to mention that when I send it out for honing, I'm going to ask that the point be rounded just a little. I realise that the square point isn't the safest for a newbie.
Attachments
20180909_154911_resized.jpg
20180909_154911_resized.jpg (475.17 KiB) Viewed 6379 times
Bill
Pointer

Re: Anyone use a Genco razor?

Post by Pointer »

Genco's are a great razor. They were the number one producer of straights in the US (3000/day) up until the late 30's. They had their own foundry and forge. Great shavers, great grinds and easy to hone. Only issue is they used a lot of cracked ice and candy stripe celluloid which was more prone to cell rot
Bill_K

Post by Bill_K »

Good to know - thanks, Pointer! If I really fall in love with it then I'll look at custom scales. Or, I could just take the plunge and buy a new one.

Bill
Bill
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

I've honed many a Genco for customers and I've never come across a bad one.

Chris
Bill_K

Post by Bill_K »

EL Alamein wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:52 pm I've honed many a Genco for customers and I've never come across a bad one.

Chris
Thanks Chris. I'm sending it out for honing in the next week or so.
Bill
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Bill, enjoy!

Let us know how you like it once you've had a chance to shave with it.

Chris
Bill_K

Post by Bill_K »

I got the Genco back from honing last week and I'm happy to report that I've used it without slicing off chunks of my face or ears. As recommended by Lynn Abrams in his video[1], I shaved just my cheeks for 4-5 days before I dared shave my neck. I did have a couple of minor mishaps: I nicked the front of my left ear in a moment of inattention - the Genco has a square point - and my sideburns looked somewhat ragged after Day One so I had to shorten them up a bit. #-o

I was surprised/dismayed to discover the following:
- I need to use a little more pressure with the straight than the safety razor. Until I figured that out, I wound up with a lot of tugging before I essentially scraped just the soap off my cheeks.
- Stretching my face upward at the beginning of the shave, pulls the top of my cheek under the arms of my glasses. It's just one of the many benefits of aging, I suppose.
- Pre-shave preparation is far more critical with a straight than with a safety razor.
- Pimples don't stand a snowball's chance against my Genco.
- I am utterly hopeless with my left hand.

I did try a full shave a couple of days ago, and while I didn't come anywhere close to an acceptable shave, I did walk away with all of my body fluids in place.

Ah well, I have a lifetime to learn.

Bill

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDq-2ZRVYXA
Bill
brothers

Post by brothers »

I wish you well on your straight razor journey Bill. Looking forward to periodic updates. It's definitely a learning process.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Pointer

Post by Pointer »

Bill_K wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:39 am
I was surprised/dismayed to discover the following:
- I need to use a little more pressure with the straight than the safety razor. Until I figured that out, I wound up with a lot of tugging before I essentially scraped just the soap off my cheeks.
More pressure is not needed. It feels different since with a DE the force is centered on a smaller, heavier (due to top cap) blade and you are pulling. With a straight you are push cutting from a fulcrum point 2 inches from blade center. if you shave with just the heel end of the straight razor in a small spot you won't fell this increased "pressure" as much. Your muscle memory will develop and this feeling should subside.
- Stretching my face upward at the beginning of the shave, pulls the top of my cheek under the arms of my glasses. It's just one of the many benefits of aging, I suppose.
When my Father got much older (70's) he would snap the earpieces off an old pair of glasses and pinch down the nose pieces to shave with. Poor man's prince-nez.
- Pre-shave preparation is far more critical with a straight than with a safety razor.
Absolutely. Faster you learn that the better your shaves will be. Try lathering up before stropping to give the soap more time to work. Freshen the lather up just before shaving by rehydrating it with your brush
- I am utterly hopeless with my left hand.
Everyone is when they start. Some get it quicker but it will eventually come to you if not there are ways to use just one hand. My uncle straight shaved for 60+ years only using his right hand

Good luck and stay patient
Bill_K

Post by Bill_K »

Wise words - thanks!
Bill
Bill_K

November update: Anyone use a Genco razor?

Post by Bill_K »

I now have 6 or 7 weekends' worth of experience with my Genco. Since I've begun this journey I've seen my straight-razor shaves go from "amusingly bad" to "not altogether awful", and post-shave irritation is essentially zero. The cheeks and jaw line turn out great, but the neck from about the level of my Adam's apple down continues to be a challenge, so I'll do two very cautious passes with the Genco and then a quick clean-up with my Merkur 38C. That's acceptable to me so far, as in the end I wind up with a damn fine shave.

I've started to use Proraso pre-shave cream to help with glide but I'm not sure that it's doing very much (if at all). Inevitably, I'll gravitate to my go-to soaps - Tabac and Mitchell's Wool Fat - on the weekend because they perform so well for me.

I know I've got a ways to go yet but learning a new skill takes time and I'm okay with that. I'm continuing to experiment with different ways of stretching my neck.

More later.
Bill