The state of the current English Shaving soaps

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
adhoc

The state of the current English Shaving soaps

Post by adhoc »

Which of the English shaving soaps available on the market today produce decent lathers (i.e not thin and bubbly)? DR Harris for sure but I know that Penhaligon have reformulated their soaps (again) and my Sartorial shaving soap do work fine and as I understand it have Floris reformulated their shaving soaps too and they are decent now again as well (?). But how about Trumper, TOBS and T&H?
Olle
Bill_K

Re: The state of the current English Shaving soaps

Post by Bill_K »

Have you thought about Mitchell's Wool Fat?

I've been using it for about a week and a half and I heartily recommend it. Some have complained that it's difficult to lather, but that hasn't been my experience, even with the very hard water in my town (12.6 gpg). To me it has a subtle scent, produces "Santa Claus" lather, and is very slick.

To get around the difficult lathering I used my kitchen cheese grater to grate it and then repacked it into two separate containers. When shaving, I add enough water to cover the soap and then let it sit while I'm looking after other stuff (my brush needs soaking anyway). I then dump the soap water, gently squeeze most of the water out of the brush, and then load the brush with the soap container held upside-down (i.e. bristles facing up) for about 30 seconds.

I've been at the traditional shaving gig for only about 5 months now, and my best shaves have been with MWF. However, as they say in this list, YMMV.
Bill
adhoc

Post by adhoc »

I have tried Wool Fat but I think its too hard to make a stable lather with my hard water and I find the scent a little dull but I might buy another puck in the future to see if my lathering abilities have improved. I did remember that the soap had excellent post shave though, probably the best post shave of any soap I've tried.
Olle
Bill_K

Post by Bill_K »

I've been kicking around the idea of adding a drop or two of essential oil to the bowl before I lather. I have lemon on hand (I'm making my own pre-shave oil) but I'd also like to locate some sandalwood. That might just be the ticket to add a little variety to the MWF.
Bill
brothers

Post by brothers »

This thread is fairly recent, but it seems we have failed to discuss the new tallow based formula of Cyril Salter's shaving soap which is quite good, and quite economical to buy. Made in England. If you haven't tried it, I suggest giving it a try in pursuit of the best of the current shaving soaps. I found mine at Connaught shaving. It comes in two sizes.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I have been away too long -- MWF is the only reliable English soap for me. It has never failed me. Nothing like sheep squeezings for shaving luxury.

To be fair, I have found DR Harris to be good soaps, but have reduced my lathering products significantly over the last 4 years. As I run out of product, I find I have not replaced it. My only real soaps are MWF, DRH lavender, DRH Arlington and Edwin Jagger Sea Buckthorn - which I acquired a good few years ago and is still pretty doggone good. Not sure what their soaps are like these days though. They discontinued Sea Buckthorn some time ago (shortly after I purchased it, as I recall).
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Brutus

Post by Brutus »

Edwin Jagger cooperates with Mühle in Germany and when you mentioned sea buckthorn it reminded me of the Mühle sea buckthorn shaving soap.

Mühle still distributes it and if the original puck was small to start with, just about 2½“ in diameter, chances are that it may be the same product.

See here: https://www.muehle-shaving.com/en/Shop/ ... ving-soap/

I tried Mühle soaps at one stage, but had to make space in my cabinet and their soaps fell victim to it.

B.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I believe the Jagger/Muhle soaps were made by Haslinger at one time, but I think that might have changed.

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

The Mühle certainly looks identical in size and shape to the EJ puck I have. Mine is a few years old and still smells as good and lathers as well as the first day I broke open the box.
Wendell

Rufus

Post by Rufus »

jww wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:53 am The Mühle certainly looks identical in size and shape to the EJ puck I have. Mine is a few years old and still smells as good and lathers as well as the first day I broke open the box.
EJ Sea Buckthorn is the only shaving soap I’ve truly come to terms with, but then I’m a dyed in the wool (never conquered MWF, however) shaving cream man.
Last edited by Rufus on Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bryan
Brutus

Post by Brutus »

drmoss_ca wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:09 am I believe the Jagger/Muhle soaps were made by Haslinger at one time, but I think that might have changed.

C.
That may have been the case in the past (+4 years ago), but as a regular Haslinger user, the Mühle soaps that I tired then were clearly not on the same level.
They got the job done but were unremarkable and when I had to make space in my cabinet they were quickly retired, while Haslinger (then tallow, now tallow-free) is one of my favourites.

Liked the small Mühle ceramic bowls with their lids though.

B
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell
libertine

Post by libertine »

I have found and like Phoenix and Beau. Mild scent (which I prefer) and good face feel after my shave.

Slight plus's include: husband and wife team, nice artwork, historical name and matching scent.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Phoenix and Beau makes a very good tallow shaving soap. The same can be said for OSP (Obsessive Soap Professional). Both of which I found at Connaught.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

After 3 latherings and two shaves over the past two days, I agree that this hard tallow soap made in England is outstanding. I do enjoy the slightly spicy and pleasant scent. And it is comparatively inexpensive.
Gary

desafetyrazor

TOBS

Post by desafetyrazor »

From your list, I've only tried Taylor of Old Bond Street (TOBs). I have tried many other brands of soaps and creams and TOBs make the best lather. It is also the easiest to lather and gives consistent results. I've tried many of their scents and like Sandalwood (it grew on me, it wasn't my favorite at first).
adhoc

Post by adhoc »

Apparently you can buy Trumper Eucris shaving cream in a bowl now... At least from this seller on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Geo-F-Trumper- ... SwLZBbqOeG.
Olle
Teiste

Post by Teiste »

adhoc wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:26 am Apparently you can buy Trumper Eucris shaving cream in a bowl now... At least from this seller on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Geo-F-Trumper- ... SwLZBbqOeG.
Looking forward to buy it in the States.Love that scent.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

For the first time in my +50 years of shaving I bought a tub of T&H shaving cream last week; it’s the 1805 flavour. I haven’t used it yet, but I have high expectations of it given its premium price relative to my life long go-to shaving cream, TOBS. Another cream I haven’t tried is Castle Forbes. At more than twice the price per ml compared to TOBS, I don’t see it being good value.
Bryan
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Rufus wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:24 am
jww wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:53 am The Mühle certainly looks identical in size and shape to the EJ puck I have. Mine is a few years old and still smells as good and lathers as well as the first day I broke open the box.
EJ Sea Buckthorn is the only shaving soap I’ve truly come to terms with, but then I’m a dyed in the wool (never conquered MWF, however) shaving cream man.
Ah - but you then need to try and stick with MWF ....... nothing like it once you have tamed it. Wild sheep do amazing things .... 8) :wink:
Wendell

adhoc

Post by adhoc »

How are Trumpers shaving soaps these days (2018 soon 2019), are they latherable?
Olle