New synthetic brush upgrade project

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
brothers

New synthetic brush upgrade project

Post by brothers »

Funny thing happened. Synthetic shaving brush technology has been advancing at the speed of light. Here's the nutshell: I've removed the synthetic Evolution brush head that came from Shave Revolution just a few months before he quit business in mid 2016. I've enlarged the hole this afternoon to accommodate a 28mm brush. I've ordered a new one from APShave in Canada. It's called SynBad. The mesquite burl brush handle is a beauty made by Bob Quinn at Elite. As soon as the SynBun arrives I'll install it if it fits. Looking forward to the new brush. The old head was 24mm in a 26mm hole. I had to add a trim strip to make it fit better. The new head is advertised at 28mm. I'm not making any judgments now about the new brush. Watch this space for the inevitable review in the next couple of weeks or so. This is what it looks like right now.

Here are some of the attributes of the SynBad synthetic knot:
SynBad knot. . . . two goals with this knot 1) getting the closest imitation to badger in appearance yet and 2) providing consumers with a knot that had a great splay. This knot solves the problem many have with the Tuxedo not being able to splay easy, and it's . . . beautiful . . . . The tips are on par with the Cashmere, the splay is one of the best out of all [AP Shave] knots, and the backbone is a bit less than that of the Tuxedo (enough for easier splay) . . . .
Mesquite burl handle 03Oct2018.jpg
Mesquite burl handle 03Oct2018.jpg (642.51 KiB) Viewed 7375 times
This is what the brush looked like yesterday before I removed the Shave Revolution synthetic knot.
Mesquite burl refinish 1.jpg
Mesquite burl refinish 1.jpg (179.22 KiB) Viewed 7373 times
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Bill_K

Re: New synthetic brush upgrade project

Post by Bill_K »

Nice work, Gary!

I think you'll like the SynBad knot; I bought one from APShaveCo in the "Blue Lagoon" handle about a month ago and I'm really quite surprised that I like it so much. It's extremely soft; so much so that it feels like running a light bulb across my face.

Bill
Bill
brothers

Post by brothers »

Looking forward to the experience.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
libertine

Post by libertine »

Always interested in new synthetic knots. I agree with the progress.
brothers

Post by brothers »

The knot was delivered yesterday. Now it's been installed in the handle, and the glue is drying. I'm looking forward to tomorrow's shave!
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Here's the finished project, taken just a few minutes after its first shave lather this morning.
SynBad mesquite burl brush 13OCT2018.jpg
SynBad mesquite burl brush 13OCT2018.jpg (1.57 MiB) Viewed 7231 times
Gary

CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Very nice-looking brushes, Gary. Thanks for the report.

- Murray
Bill_K

Post by Bill_K »

X2 on Murray's comment.

Just curious: have you tried making a handle from antler? I have a Red Deer antler - one half from an animal that my late grandfather and his buddy harvested in the Old Country so many years ago - and I'm thinking it deserves better treatment than being used as a coat/hat rack in my garage.
Bill
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

That's a nice looker, Gary.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

Bill, I lack the knowledge and tools that it takes to create a turned handle. Fortunately there are some guys out there that can do it, if anyone can.

Dr. Moss, thanks!
Gary