What made you smile today?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
brothers

What made you smile today?

Post by brothers »

Today I was sitting here thinking my usual random thoughts, when I realized I was smiling. Why? There is an unwritten law that requires humans to be pretty much the same size. I'm not talking about a couple of inches or feet or pounds, I'm talking about the fact that nobody walks around 30 feet tall or 1 inch tall. I'm talking about people with wings or 6 legs. We all fall within the same general one size fits all reality. Deviation outside general guidelines simply doesn't happen. It seems that planets and stars are pretty much unlimited in size. But then again, they probably also have similar rules. Gravity, for example seems to be in effect everywhere. Even for stars and planets.

If it's ok with you gents, I'll probably try to post once in a while about whatever may have made me smile any given day. Too much negative and disappointing news these days, and I'm just tired of it. Gotta look for something positive and worthy of a smile.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Gene

Re: What made you smile today?

Post by Gene »

Gary, it's fine with me. I don't think I smiled yesterday until pretty late in the evening. I could use some happy news.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

My wife and I did an aerobics class this morning together -- and I smile when I get to tease her about how pumped up I am getting ....... ah, life's little pleasures.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

I smiled when we got home today from a two-day excursion to a bed-and-breakfast at a nearby artsy town, La Conner. We had great weather during the trip, which included a drive up the North Cascades Highway to see the fall tree colors, enjoyed moseying around the slough-side town's many art galleries and shops, and had wonderful food (wild boar meatloaf!) at a local restaurant. But no matter how good the trip, it always feels really good - and makes me smile - to get back home again.
_______
John
brothers

Post by brothers »

Today I was recalling an incident that involved my dad and a dog friend I had when I was a young teenager. His name was Spud (the dog, not my dad). Spud was small and fat. . . . and mean. My dad named him that when he first saw Spud as a puppy and looked like a potato. So one evening as my dad was interacting with him, Spud lost his temper and snapped and growled at my dad, who was usually a mild mannered guy. Not this time. In an instant, just as I looked up, I saw my dad chasing Spud down the hall shouting and taking his belt off. He took a mighty swing and lucky for Spud, he missed by an inch, putting a dent in the wall, about the size of a half-dollar. (Remember those?) Mom still lives in the house, and every time I happen to think about that I smile as I recall the fact that I was just a tiny bit disappointed that Daddy had missed! As a matter of fact, I'm smiling right now. By the way Spud lived to the ripe old age of 15.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

Some days it seems there is little to smile about. I think I smile and just don't remember it. Happily today isn't one of those days. My wife took a scoop of ice cream and instead of the intended target (a bowl), it smacked the tile floor loudly and we both were just standing there staring. She impulsively reached down, picked it up and dropped it in her bowl! We both got a big laugh!
Gary

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

reading these stories!! :D :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

The one that makes me smile and even laugh is the TV commercial for an insurance company that shows the family sitting around the living room with Grandpa sleeping in his chair while his snoring is a nicely done rendition of The Flight of the Bumblebee through his nose. Then along comes his grandson who slowly pokes Grandpa in the nose and evidently changes the channel while the music quickly changes to something that sounds like a saxophone looking for a melody. Has nothing to do with insurance, but it certainly makes one remember the name of the insurance company. Makes me laugh out loud.
Gary

Thunderbolt_A10

Post by Thunderbolt_A10 »

I've finished a project ahead of schedule at work. I've been working quite a lot for the last 6 weeks (on top of the already pretty demanding job I've been doing for the last 2 years) and my girlfriend and I didn't really have the time to enjoy being together, or to go out and do interesting things, but this month, I'll earn a non-negligible bonus.
It feels like working like a donkey is paying off, since that bonus may well allow us to rent this apartment for holidays on the Canary islands next summer!
I've been promising her holidays abroad for a while now, and we had to spend lots of money on real life things and stay at home, but now I think that will do the trick... finally!
pausted

Post by pausted »

Congratulations, Thunderbolt! Enjoy your vacation. Sounds like you earned it.
Best regards,

Basil
brothers

Post by brothers »

One of my grand daughters is turning 11 in a few days so I picked out a funny b'day card. When I opened it and saw the content I laughed. When I showed it to my wife she laughed out loud. Thanks American Greetings! She's going to love it when she receives it. (lives thousands of miles from here!)
Gary

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

post a pic gary!!!!!!!!!!!
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

Already in the mail Clive --- Sorry!. I wish I could post a photo. One of those things you just have to see. It was a drawing of a very silly primate. It'll make her laugh too! :D
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

I smiled when I read this sentence somewhere: Confuse your doctor by putting on rubber gloves at the same time he does.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Thunderbolt_A10 wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:38 pm I've finished a project ahead of schedule at work. I've been working quite a lot for the last 6 weeks (on top of the already pretty demanding job I've been doing for the last 2 years) and my girlfriend and I didn't really have the time to enjoy being together, or to go out and do interesting things, but this month, I'll earn a non-negligible bonus.
It feels like working like a donkey is paying off, since that bonus may well allow us to rent this apartment for holidays on the Canary islands next summer!
I've been promising her holidays abroad for a while now, and we had to spend lots of money on real life things and stay at home, but now I think that will do the trick... finally!
Hello, Thunderbolt! I hope your plans turn out to be successful! Congratulations on the bonus!
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

As hard as it is to believe, today's moment of good humor was in reaction to a scene from an old episode of Law and Order. Made my wife laugh too. Don't ask, it's a long story and my narrative wouldn't convey the humor. :D
Gary