Cyril Salter solid shaving soap (tallow)

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
brothers

Cyril Salter solid shaving soap (tallow)

Post by brothers »

Talk about a hard soap. Today was the 22nd shave on the puck. I load the synthetic brush for 10 seconds. I've calculated this hard little puck will last approximately 85 more shaves at this pace. That will be around 105 shaves total when it eventually runs out. This is the small 70g puck. Considering how inexpensive the soap is to begin with, this is probably one of the best currently available shaving soap values.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Re: Cyril Salter solid shaving soap (tallow)

Post by fallingwickets »

ex the value proposition, it is a really good soap. I now spend my days wishing for a rose version :D :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Who sells this soap? Anyone in the US?

Is it lightly scented (hopefully)?

Thanks.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

CMur12 wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:26 pm Who sells this soap? Anyone in the US?

Is it lightly scented (hopefully)?

Thanks.

- Murray
I consider it lightly scented. Not unpleasant to my nose. YMMV. I have only found it at Connaught. Even with shipping it is cheap and fast.
Anyone buying it from any source, whether Connaught or any other source, should make sure it is 100 or 70 grams. There is another, earlier version that is either 99 or 57 grams. This is NOT tallow, and should be avoided if one is seeking the excellent version that I am addressing in my posts.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Thanks, Gary.

Connaught is where I found it, too. They have a few other things I would like, as well, so I may well place an order with them.

- Murray
Janus

Post by Janus »

Here's another source:

https://shavingstation.co.uk/
Janus
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Thanks, Janus. That's a vendor I didn't know about.

- Murray
Janus

Post by Janus »

You're welcome, Murray! New vendors keep poppin' up fairly regularly, I've noticed. Hopefully there's enough business to go around for them all. I wonder if this little hobby of ours is gaining popularity.
Janus
brothers

Post by brothers »

In about a week or so I'm planning to go back to the Salter's soap for the rest of this year. I think it's good for somewhere between 50 and 60 more great lathers before it runs out. It's got 37 shaves on it so far.
Gary

Gene

Post by Gene »

Is this only available in lavender? I notice they have several different scents in the cream (including rose!), but not for the soap.

Also - I note that he offers two sizes - 100 and 70, both seems to be tallow-based. Am I missing something?
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
brothers

Post by brothers »

Gene, I don't consider the scent to be lavender, all I get is a light/ pleasant/ spicy/ barbershop scent. I have never been accused of being an expert on fragrances, so if its lavender, then what do I know. 8) Yes, the 100 and 70 soaps are both tallow.
Gary

DGB452

Post by DGB452 »

The shaving soap base of the Salter's looks very similar to D.R.Harris' current iteration, so that could be an alternative for more scent variety?

Anyone used both to compare performance?
brothers

Post by brothers »

If they're the same I respectfully suggest to DRH that they might be well-served if they can develop a soap fragrance as pleasant as Salter's, and lower their prices significantly to match Salter's. For the record, I prefer Salter's lather and performance over DRH. Harris (100g) costs 225% (two hundred twenty five percent) more than Salter's (100g).
Gary

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Agree with Gary's sentiments...salters knocked this one right out of the park. dandy and rake doesnt come close.

i really need to get my act together and start a salter rose campaign :D :D :D

clive
DGB452

Post by DGB452 »

Have you used the most recent formulation of D.R.Harris shaving soap for a direct comparison?
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

how 'recent' is recent. my last dandy and rake was bought 2015-16
brothers

Post by brothers »

DGB452 wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:47 am Have you used the most recent formulation of D.R.Harris shaving soap for a direct comparison?
My comparison is based on my last encounter with a DRH soap several years ago.
Gary

Teiste

Post by Teiste »

Gary , if you have an extra puck of this soap and want to trade it , let me know.

I hope this is the coming back of tallow English soaps.The Portland England shaving soap is a fantastic one (tallow based) but no longer sale and this could be its replacement for me now that I have gone back to English and European soaps and creams instead of the US artisan ones.
DGB452

Post by DGB452 »

fallingwickets wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:46 am how 'recent' is recent. my last dandy and rake was bought 2015-16
I think they switched formulation about 12 months ago, but anything within the last six months should be the most recent version, you could always check with the vendor(s).
DGB452

Post by DGB452 »

brothers wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:17 pm
DGB452 wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:47 am Have you used the most recent formulation of D.R.Harris shaving soap for a direct comparison?
My comparison is based on my last encounter with a DRH soap several years ago.
They've certainly changed since then, when/if you do get the chance to try the most recent formulation, I would be keen to read your comparison with the Salter's.