Royal Yacht

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: Royal Yacht

Post by drmoss_ca » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:11 pm

It's not a tech issue, but a copyright problem. You can pay for the right to use the clip in some limited fashion, but only after negotiating with Getty. Even the preview for it requires filling in a form and asking for access.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace

adhoc

Post by adhoc » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:49 pm

I have contact Getty and I'm awaiting their response.
Olle

adhoc

Post by adhoc » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:10 pm

I just happened to stumble across this:

https://twitter.com/thelogosmith/status ... 0393178112

What hell is this?! Anyone heard about this "rebranding?
Olle

blantyre

Post by blantyre » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:19 pm

Interesting, I always thought that the 3rd T was Taylors (of Old Bond Street), so maybe there were actually 4 Ts? I must say the fluorescent green of that RY cologne does not look very appetizing. It may smell great but it looks a bit scary to me - kind of “radioactive green”! If they do bring it back in any meaningful form, I hope that they opt for a more traditional amber-yellow color.
Rick

drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:46 am

No one ever spoke of the Three T's back in those days; it is a term originating in the modern era when wet shaving experienced a resurgence of interest. To say that Thomas was the original third T is simply retroactive rebranding based purely on the founding dates of the companies involved. In other words, it is an attempt to cynically cash in on a perceived market who are assumed to know little, and care less, for actual history. If that's their technique then I suspect this will be as glorious a return as that of Coates, Wade & Butcher and other modern revivals of hallowed names.

This reminds me of the time when that puffed-up git, Seal, tried to argue that the so-called 'Holy Trinity' of Leica lenses had always been 28, 50 and 90, when Leica never made a 28mm lens in their classic era and couldn't even use a 35mm unless it had 'goggles':

He knew he was right because he was a Leica Ambassador and because I pointed out I had never even heard of him, I was jealous of his success! You can't make ex post facto changes to history, you can only forbid accurate retelling, and that has a bad reputation - vide Orwell.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:30 am

thanks for the interesting, informative thread....learn something new everyday...for me, up until now i had never heard of g thomas. did he make a good rose??? :D :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum