SOLD - Heads for RazoRock SLOC DOC (double open comb) / Yaqi Mellon razor - $10

Got something to sell or trade? Feel free to post in this group!
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

SOLD - Heads for RazoRock SLOC DOC (double open comb) / Yaqi Mellon razor - $10

Post by Pauldog »

I just ordered a few chrome plated double open comb heads from Yaqi, and it might take a few weeks for them to arrive. I'll sell them for $10 each, including shipping.

Yaqi calls this "Mellon" after the name of the inventor of the original Grand Shave King razor.
Attachments
Yaqi Mellon head.jpg
Yaqi Mellon head.jpg (12.9 KiB) Viewed 4647 times
CMur12

Re: Heads for RazoRock SLOC (double open comb) / Yaqi Mellon razor

Post by CMur12 »

How aggressive are these, Paul?

Can you compare them to any other better known razors?

- Murray
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

I haven't tried one yet. I tried to get one from Italian Barber (which is Razorock's selling outlet), but they keep running out. That's why I broke down and ordered from China, and figured I might as well save on shipping by buying a few and selling the surplus.

They're supposed to be surprisingly unaggressive. The extra comb area is mainly for retaining lather, though I've heard that in practice it mostly retains water, which works out pretty well for the shave, anyway.

I'll report back once I try it.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Thanks, Paul.

As I think about it more, I believe Gary/brothers might have lent me one of these for trial some time back. If it is the same, it was still a little aggressive for me. Perhaps Gary will pop in here and confirm that it was the same razor.

- Murray
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Phoenix Shaving also makes more than one version - for instance:
https://phoenixartisanaccoutrements.com ... fety-razor
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

I got the heads on Monday. They are marked "DLC YAQI" on one side of the underside of the head. I'll try it out in a day or two.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Re: Heads for RazoRock SLOC DOC (double open comb) / Yaqi Mellon razor - $10

Post by Pauldog »

I tried it yesterday with a Nacet blade that had a couple of shaves on it. It went well, and I even went through the shave without any re-lathering. I think I should have re-lathered a little here and there, since I did end up bleeding a very small amount in two spots. Today, I came up with the idea of applying a little lather directly to the razor if I needed to keep shaving after all the later was gone from my face.

I would call this head medium aggressive. I'll experiment a little more with blades and lathering.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Re: ONE LEFT - Heads for RazoRock SLOC DOC (double open comb) / Yaqi Mellon razor - $10

Post by Pauldog »

Bump...I realized that I still have one of these heads left.
brothers

Post by brothers »

CMur12 wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:35 pm Thanks, Paul.

As I think about it more, I believe Gary/brothers might have lent me one of these for trial some time back. If it is the same, it was still a little aggressive for me. Perhaps Gary will pop in here and confirm that it was the same razor.

- Murray
Sorry for the very late response Murray! Yes, that's the one. I've still got it buried somewhere in a box in a drawer.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Re: ONE LEFT - Heads for RazoRock SLOC DOC (double open comb) / Yaqi Mellon razor - $10

Post by Pauldog »

Gary, where did you get yours?
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Re: SOLD - Heads for RazoRock SLOC DOC (double open comb) / Yaqi Mellon razor - $10

Post by Pauldog »

I sold my last one, but if a few people are still interested, you could do a group buy and get a bunch directly from Yaqi on Ali Express, to save on shipping from China:

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?ca ... _new_app=y

They have a couple of other models, and all have several colors/finishes.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Pauldog wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:44 pm Gary, where did you get yours?
If memory serves, I bought mine from Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Re: SOLD - Heads for RazoRock SLOC DOC (double open comb) / Yaqi Mellon razor - $10

Post by Pauldog »

I don't think any DOC's from Phoenix were made by Yaqi, or was there one? Phoenix had several different ones, made from different metals, and just released a new version.

I first heard of the double open comb on the Phoenix website. Then I found the Razorock version, and that took me to Yaqi, who made the head for Razorock.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Sounds good to me. Thanks for the interesting background Paul.
Gary