Prep Revolution

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
slackskin

Prep Revolution

Post by slackskin »

I tried a new prep alternative about which I recently read (can't remember where).

Step1 - apply electric razor pre-shave lotion. Whiskers stand up straight rather than being limp from warm water.

Step 2 - lather up and shave with cold water.

Simple. Fast. Cheaper than many other alternatives. Result in my case was an unusually good shave. Since I used the same razor, blade and soap, the result is in my opinion attributable to the pre-shave lotion. I know this goes against the grain (pardon the pun) of advice dispensed by gurus and some would consider this heresy. Nevertheless, it worked for me. YMMV.
brothers

Re: Prep Revolution

Post by brothers »

What's important is that it worked for you. The only ones who are entitled to respond to your information would be someone who's actually experienced it and formed their own opinion. :D

Any information you can share regarding the brand and store?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
slackskin

Post by slackskin »

brothers wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:19 pm What's important is that it worked for you. The only ones who are entitled to respond to your information would be someone who's actually experienced it and formed their own opinion. :D

Any information you can share regarding the brand and store?
I hope I'm not violating any SMF rules by mentioning the name. I used Williams Lectric Shave, which I believe you can get almost anywhere. My guess is that other brands -- CVS, etc -- would work as well.
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I'm not going anywhere near this.

But if it works for you go with it.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I couldn't stand Williams Lectric Shave for use with an electric, but this does make some sense.

(Can't promise I'll try it, though. 8) )

- Murray
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I wonder how such a lotion makes the beard hair 'stand up'? I looked up a few brands, some contain alcohol, but not all, while others have oil for lubrication. Maybe it's a true case of floccinaucinihilipilification?
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

a real word too!!!! :D :D

floc·ci·nau·ci·ni·hil·i·pil·i·fi·ca·tion
/ˌfläksəˌnôsəˌnīˌhiləˌpiləfiˈkāSHən/Submit
noun
the action or habit of estimating something as worthless. (The word is used chiefly as a curiosity.).
de gustibus non est disputandum
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I have never had my whiskers fall over. That's why I wasn't going to go anywhere near it. I think snake oil is one of the ingredients in that pre-lotion.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

ShadowsDad wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:00 am I have never had my whiskers fall over. That's why I wasn't going to go anywhere near it. I think snake oil is one of the ingredients in that pre-lotion.
Made me smile
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Nonetheless, slackskin - if you like it you must keep doing it and disregard the gurus. Our skin isn't yours, and somewhere there will be someone who reads your words and has his shaves transformed. Keep on experimenting!

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

fallingwickets wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:30 am a real word too!!!! :D :D

floc·ci·nau·ci·ni·hil·i·pil·i·fi·ca·tion
/ˌfläksəˌnôsəˌnīˌhiləˌpiləfiˈkāSHən/Submit
noun
the action or habit of estimating something as worthless. (The word is used chiefly as a curiosity.).
I never heard of that word, but have been very well aware of many folks who have adopted it as a lifelong approach to just about everything. I'm glad to know there is a word for it.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
slackskin

Post by slackskin »

I'm not highly enough educated to even know how to pronounce it. :D

A BS isn't enough in today's world. There are dozens of multi-syllable derogatory words used in certain speculative circles nowadays. I don't know what most of them mean, nor do I care. I have much more respect for people of who are trying to get positive things accomplished.

That said, I take no offense at Dr. Moss's word nor do I mean to insult. I was referring to certain other areas of endeavor which would get me banned if I used the actual word to describe such groups.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

None intended!
Flocci-, nauci-, nihil-, and pili- are all stems meaning something very small. In the case of pili-, it is also involved in the etymology of the latin word for a hair. As in the erector pili, those tiny muscles that make your hair stand on end when you are frightened. Perhaps you can see where this is going. My 'true case of floccinaucinihilipilification' was that your prep technique was making the beard hair stand up in fright and shrink down very small. So not an insult...

TL;DR: I do too many cryptic crosswords and latin ought to be compulsory. :wink:
Pierre-Simon de Laplace